Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #1  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Default A hello

Hi

I like to think I don't have a problem, but somewhere along the way, I developed the habit of anxiety-eating. I get anxious about starting a work shift, about school, or while I'm procrastinating, and I'll just eat right through it.

This summer past was really great because I got got control of it. I was able to control my anxiety during the day, did a lot of running and biking which I found helpful, didn't overeat at work (a job where I walk around for 8 hours) and lost a few pounds (5-7) without even realising it.

I've always gained weight while a fulltime student because my health goes to **** when I'm stressed. I eat such garbage. I've pretty much gained 8 pounds since September. I'm trying to stop this before it becomes a huge problem - where I stay in the house and don't do anything but eat. I can just feel myself wanting to do it. I have to learn to handle stress differently...

So, hi!
I'm having a nice cup of green tea right now and planning out my day. Some hardcore cleaning in mind, especially cleaning out the fridge, organising the cupboards. Hope you're all doing well.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Welcome!!! You have done what I would say just about everyone has done. I can attest to using food as a friend, as an antianxiet/antidepressant, anti life! The key is to start by changing your ACTIONS, and then, slowly, you can start to teach yourself how to change your thoughts to match. That's, of course, easier said than done.

For me, it helps to have a plan. I know how many calories I"m going to eat every day and I haven't had more than that since Halloween weekend. For me, that's huge, so if I can do it, so can anyone. Calorie counting is not for everyone and it sounds tedious, but really, you get used to it and it teaches you a lot about portions. Also, sometimes I think I've eaten too much and I've "blown it," but then, my calories say something else. They tell me that I still can get things under control which helps me not be so hard on myself.

I do some sort of exercise daily. The more I move the better. I have a very stressful personal life and I also suffer from anxiety, but if I didn't have my workouts, I would be in a much worse place mentally. They also help with the weight loss. I don't eat the calories I burn....there have been a few nights where I have eaten a bit more than my calories allow, so I've had some of my workout calories, but that's rare. Also, whatever the machines at the gym say I've burned, I log in half of those calories as actually burned.

I think you have to find something that you can live with and just be as consistent as possible. You will have some moments when you might have a horrible craving. When that happens, I have a plan too. Here are some things I try to do at those times:

chew gum
drink hot tea
snack on frozen grapes (60 calories a cup and tastes amazing to me)
do my nails (can't eat and do nails at the same time)
do crunches, push ups, etc.
COME HERE AND POST UNDER BINGE EMERGENCY....that has been a HUGE, HUGE help!!!! I've tried going to OA meetings and that has not been helpful, but coming her has.

Again...welcome and I hope your new found organizing will help you to put things in order again.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #3  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Hi souvenirdarling! Welcome. I'm glad you made it here -- ALL of us are working through what you are. Feel free to post as often as you like.

Also, I second everything luckymommy said -- listen to her; she has great advice.
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 162/113/Maintain

Welcome!

It's great that you're determined to get a handle on your health.

Planning is the key. (The opposite of planning is drifting - and we all know where that leads LOL!)
peaches09 is offline   Reply With Quote