Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 10-18-2008, 01:15 AM   #16  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I plan a snack for evening. Tonight it was a peach, four wheat crackers and 2 T of salsa. Then once it's done it's DONE and no more snacking.

Working for 21 days and counting!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #17  
Party Starter.

S/C/G: 200/183/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerChild View Post
I don't get it. I can stay on my eating program, carefully watching my calories and what I put into my mouth all day long, but when the evening time comes it all goes down hill. I don't understand why I can do so well and have such good self control all day until evening. Does anyone else experience this as well?
In my experience, it is out of habit. I, too, have great self control all day. Some days I am not even hungry until well into midday. But I tell ya, at night, watch out. I will eat a good sized dinner (and pre-diet it would be a substantial dinner) and yet, as soon as the kids are off to bed, I am in the kitchen. It's a bad habit.

And after starting back on my diet, I can clearly tell it is just that - a bad habit. I have done well for the first 6 days of Fat Smash Diet, I haven't given in to temptation. But I have noticed some disturbing things about my nighttime routine. Each night this week, I find myself getting up during commercials and milling around in the kitchen. I open the cabinet with the dried foods in it. I stare. I shut the door and head to the fridge. I open it up and stare. Then I walk back to the cabinet and stare in there again. I mosey on over to the kids snack supply in the closet. I stare. Then, I repeat it all again. Sometimes, for some added variety, I open the freezer and stare in there too. It's habitual behavior that has developed over a long period of time. It's not just at this new apartment, which we have been in since July. I recall doing it at our last place, too.

Last night I gave into the habit and picked some things to eat out of the fridge. Thankfully, they were diet-approved foods, but they were still unnecessary. Like... I didn't need to eat 2 yogurts. Just because Fat Smash allows for 2 yogurts a day doesn't mean I have to eat them one right after the other. And cheese. I had 2 string cheese. Darn it, I wish I didn't know that new rules allow for 1oz of cheese during Phase One. I have taken advantage of that, and probably would see better weight loss if I didn't. I also had celery and hummus... which is okay... but it was all unnecessary. It was habit.

I've heard that it takes 30 days to break a bad habit. I know that this is not true. For instance, I have bitten my nails for my entire life. In August of 2006, I stopped biting them. I didn't bite them until June 2007. Then, after hearing from my kids father for the first time in months, I started biting them again. I know the trigger, but the habit was not broken. I recently stopped biting them again, back in August, and they are getting lovely and long... but I consistently find them in my mouth. Habit. Habit. Habit. It is the same with food. And cigarettes. And everything else in the world that is habitual.

My only advice to you is to work with yourself on breaking your habits. Take it one teeny tiny step at a time. Make promises to yourself. I promise not to binge for 24 hours. Once you make it through the 24 hours, promise a few more hours. If you think you can do it, promise yourself X amount of days. Once you get to the promised time, think back about whether it was easy or not. Try not to give yourself permission to binge... but if you do, try and control how much, and don't punish yourself afterwards. Promise again to yourself that, hey, I made it 48 hours or whatever... which is better than normal. This time, I am going to try for twice as long. I'm not saying it is going to be easy... and I certainly don't have all the answers because I am still wearing out a path on my kitchen floor from cabinet to fridge, but know that many others understand where you are coming from and support you.
fromshantoslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #18  

I totally get what is happening to you. Two things help me. One is to have a planned satisfying snack in the evening. For me it is usually a 100 calorie pack of microwave popcorn and a handful of grape tomatoes along with a little honey mustard to dip into. If I need sweet it would be a single serving fat free pudding with a dollop of fat free cool whip and some tea or coffee. The second thing is to plan evening activities. Sitting in front of the TV or computer can be deadly. Take a class at the local junior college or adult ed, take a dance or yoga class at the City sponsored classes, go to a Bible study if that is your thing. All are super cheap, get you out, and are not condusive to mindless snacking.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 212/186/160

Height: 5'5"

Evening is my worst enemy! For me, I think it is stress b/c my dh works nights so I am in charge of everything in regards to the kids. So after they would go to bed or when they would entertain each other I would stuff my face. There was nobody there to see me doing it. And watching TV just makes me want to eat too. I notice my kids get up and go into the kitchen during commercials, even if they have just eaten dinner.

Now, if I am watching TV with them, I do some sort of housework during the commercials. Usually cleaning my kitchen or putting dishes away.

It is definately a matter of reprogramming your brain and actions!
papaya rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #20  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

Height: 5'4"

night times were my worst. I use to hardly ever eat during the day only if i was starving to the point i couldnt take my mind off of it, but boy did i make up for it with the evening snacks. Now i have found that if i eat little bits of good healthy foods throughout the day then i'm not so snacky at night. I know you will find something that works for you. good luck.
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #21  
I want a bikini 4 Hawaii!

S/C/G: 238/210/130

Height: 5'5"

try gum and water, thats what has been helping me... try finding something to occupy your time to take your mind off eating
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I've had trouble at night too, but recently I've been able to control it. It works best for me if I don't eat *anything* after dinner (with dessert). I adopt the habit of eating dinner later (for me) and going to sleep early. I also drink a lot of tea after dinner.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

I would like to join the ranks here, I also prowl from fridge to cabinet and back again at night, looking for something good again and again. If I'm really truly hungry, then I'll eat a small meal (like a tuna sandwich, or hummus and veggies) if not, I stick with the basic snacks like yogurt w/fruit and/or nuts, or a small bowl of cereal, or even some fat free popcorn. when i need a sweet fix, no sugar added fudgecicles are delicious and also a serious lifesaver. I guess I don't have any tips for breaking the habit, but substituting bad things for good things is better than nothing.
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote