Flour alternatives

• Hey All. I have read a couple of posts about coconut flour, but I am allergic to coconut. (Had a bad episode a couple of weeks ago where I had to go to ER because a soap I picked up and smelled at Walmart had coconut oil and I didn't read the ingredients on the bottle.) I keep reading about "Soya" flour in my Atkins book. Checking Walmart I saw Wheat flour, Rye Flour, maza (sp?) flour but nothing with Carbs low enough to use even in OWL. I want to go ahead and replace what is in my home as my DH asked to me make liver onions gravy & rice for dinner this week. I would be able to eat the Liver & onions if I had an appropriate flour. Any ideas you guys can offer with places online I can order your idea would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Try netrition.com -- that's where I got the coconut flour.

Another thing you can do if you can eat nuts is to grind almonds very, very finely in a food processor.
  • I looked everywhere for the atkins low carb bake mix for stuff like that, and just found out it has been discontinued. I found this recipe on several websites and it is supposed to be the same thing, and cheap to make. I looked at walmart yesterday and couldn't find this stuff either-check with a local grocery store. If it's not by the baking goods, they usually have a "health foods" section and it may be there.

P.S. I haven't tried this recipe (or the original bake mix) yet, but from what everyone says you can use it just like regular flour/bake mix and stuff comes out the same. It has 3 carbs per 1/2 cup.

1 cup soy flour
    2 cups soy protein isolate
    2 Tbs baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    2 Tbs splenda

Mix well and sift together-keep stored in airtight container in the fridge.

Hope this helps!