Old 10-22-2005, 11:49 AM   #1  

Location: Originally from Los Angeles but have lived in Northern England for over 6 years with my French husband!

Default starting Atkins on monday!!!

Hi'ya everone, last year I went on the Atkins after a co-worker suggested it and gave me a print-off from her computer of what I could and couldnt eat and I stuck with it for 1 month. During that time I lost about 35 lbs but felt really ill and so came off it. Recently more and more talk of how Atkins promotes eating "good carbs" I went out and bought the book and found the reason I felt ill was because my friend gave me the print-off of Aikins Fat Fast diet which is meant to be a very temporary start up faze for those who do not lose weight at all - I cant believe I stuck to it for a month!!!!
Anyways now that I have the book, the Atkins carb counter and recipe book I think this time I am armed for success!!!!
sexyshoelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:45 PM   #2  

Greetings SSL! Wow - I can't believe you stuck to that way of eating for a whole month either! You poor thing! This time around you will feel soooooo much better. The book is incredibly helpful and so are the carb counter and recipe book. You CAN do this! I lost 20 pounds on it and am half way to my goal weight. I fell off the wagon though, for various reasons and am starting up again with induction today. Once I get into the groove, I find it to be a pretty easy and pleasant diet to follow. I hope you will find it that way as well. Good luck! And join us at the daily message boards here - that's where we all chat each day for support and even a good butt-kicking if we need it. Everyone is really friendly and we love getting new people! Hope to see you there!

-Sarah
SkinnyAgainSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #3  

Location: Originally from Los Angeles but have lived in Northern England for over 6 years with my French husband!

Thanks! I will definately be around on here because I think i'll need all the support I can get!! You know how in the book it says on the induction you can have up to 12 oz or 340g of salad veg? Whats that approximatley equivilent to in cups? I guess I should probably go get a food scale!
Old 10-22-2005, 07:10 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

GOOD FOR YOU !!!!

Congratulations
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:58 PM   #5  

SSL: I have no idea what that would measure out to - I usually have 2 big bowls of salad a day and that seemed to work fine. (By "big bowls" I mean a sort of overflowing standard cereal bowl-full). Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Oops - kid's crying - gotta go!

-Sarah
Old 10-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #6  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

2 cups... but I usually eat more than that.

Welcome and good luck to you!!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:28 PM   #7  

thanks everyone, i went out and bought a kitchen scale today and planned my meals for tomorrow so fingers crossed my first day back on atkins will be a breeze!!
Old 10-24-2005, 09:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/156/128

Height: 5'3"

Good luck! I've been on Atkins for about five weeks now, and I'm down 16 lbs. I think this is the easiet diet in the world! Just remember that every once in a while people slip up, but that shouldn't give you the excuse to go off the diet all together. I had a piece of cake this weekend, but I didn't blow the rest of my day by eating like crap. I still ate what I would on a normal low carb day.
aovercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:07 PM   #9  

Thumbs up

Todays gone very well but ive just ate my dinner (1 large cup of salad and 2 pork chops) and im missing my usual desert which is usually a bowl of fruit salad or pineapple chunks. I have ordered some atkins friendly 0 carb candies on ebay which are still to arrive.. i think i will made a sugar-free jello for tomorrow nights desert!! i know some have said to eat 0 carb sweets defeats the object of atkins but im not aiming to be perfect, just get healthier!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #10  
Baby Steps

Hello SSL and welcome Just a word of warning on those carbless candies....some (most) are made with sugar alcohols and are known to stall weight loss (and cause bathroom issues). This doesn't happen to all people just some. So if your weight loss stalls out then you know what has happened. I don't weight or measure my food. I just eat better than I used to. And most of it is Atkins "induction" friendly stuff so I'm on the right path just w/a twist.
Welcome again!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:03 AM   #11  

OOOOHHHOOO YES!!! i found out about the effects of these maliol sweetened candies have on my stomach - a few nights ago i had a real sweet tooth and ended up eating loads - no suprise i got real stomach/toilet problems that lasted 2 days!!! Ive definately learned my lesson!!!

Todays my 5th day on Atkins and so far the 3rd day was the hardest for me, I am feeling better about it all now that ive printed of a few of the excellent recipies I found on here - hopefully it will keep me out of bordom!! Before starting Atkins I could have sworn that I was a savory person and didnt care for sweets but now that I have to analyse carbs etc I realise how much I used to depend on things like fruit, flour and oats to base my meals on - yes before it was pretty low fat but that didnt seem to make me loss weight!! isnt the body a strange thing?! Oh well, my pants are feeling looser already so fingers crossed Ive lost a decent amount when I weigh in on Sunday!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #12  

Default I've Lost 10 Lbs!!!!!!!!

This first week has proved to be successful even if there have been plenty of ups and downs - which i guess is to be expected after such a dramatic change in my diet. I have to admit i dont think ive stuck to the induction 100% as ive had a tortilla wrap once and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk each day but despite that ive still lost 10 pounds in just 7 days so i think im doing ok!!! To be honest with myself I need about 30 carbs a day to be comfortable, and i know myself, if i restrict myself to much i'll just end up bingeing and then giving up.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:19 AM   #13  
Baby Steps

SSL: If that's all you've "blown" induction then count yourself lucky!! And you know....instead of doing "Atkins" you could modify it all to work for you. Like the milk and the higher carb count. It's YOUR way of eating and something you have to do so why not personalize it?? Great job!!!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #14  

You know how at subway they have those delish wraps which are about 9 or 10 carbs as their website states? well i thought I can do that at home and take a wrap for lunch at work but when i went to the store all the tortillas had a minimum of 23 carbs per tortilla!!! Is there a reason why subways are so much lower?
Also, before starting atkins I used to drink no added sugar cranberry juice everyday but assumed i couldnt have it anymore because its a fruit juice but today i looked at the box and it has 0.6 carbs per 100 ml - is there any reason why i shouldnt drink this?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:45 PM   #15  

SSL - 10 lbs. WOW! That's fantastic!!!!!! Congratulations! Keep up the good work!
As for the tortillas, they sell "low-carb" tortillas that are 6 grams of carbs each. There are a couple different brands of them (I can't remember the brand I like best) but they are stocked with the regular tortillas. (At least where I live they are.) However, they are smaller than normal tortillas - they won't be as big as Subways. I use them for breakfast burritos in the morning... one scrambled egg, cheddar cheese, a strip of bacon and salsa all wrapped up in a warm tortilla and voila! Breakfast (or lunch or dinner) is served!

As for the cranberry juice, I don't know... sorry!

Keep up the great work!!!

-Sarah