Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 05:14 PM   #1  
Head Princess

Exclamation Sugar Alcohols

This was posted a few weeks ago thanks to Kokoloo who has gone MIA. For those of you new to the low carb woe, this article is invaluable.

http://countcarbs.com/advice/making_the_case.htm
Old 11-04-2003, 09:28 PM   #2  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Thanks for the wake up call Star - I know I always feel a bit guilty eating those bars/candy cuz it seems to good to be true - and you know what they say - it probably isn't true.

I can see them for EXTREME EMERGENCIES when nothing else will do, but not as a regular food choice - besides that warning about the "laxative effect" should scare most people away!

Froufie
Old 11-05-2003, 01:42 AM   #3  
Pure Energy

Thanks Madame Princess. It was an interesting article and the website had lots of helpful info too. I like the idea of someone preparing 2 weeks of menus for me but not for $100. Geesh. I made the decision when I started that I would avoid any of the candy bar/ ice cream treat type stuff. That's the kind of stuff I am incredibly vulnerable to. I find it way too easy to justify the fact that they fit in the plan. You know, on induction especially, they just don't fit in. Thanks for the info. You are the woman!
Old 11-07-2003, 01:47 AM   #4  
The Princess O' Pets

Thanks for the info. I was going on that net. carb thing & sugar alcohols and thought it was to good to be true.....and I guess it is!! That is probably why my sister who ate none of those things during induction lost weight and then has been totally stalled out for about 2-3 weeks, I will pass her the info.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:14 PM   #5  
Head Princess

Exclamation New info!

So to further add to our sugar alcohol problem, I've been noticing more and more that even when a label lists low total carbs and no sugar alcohols on the nutritional info, there is often sugar alcohols on the ingredient list with a note that since sugar alcohols do not effect blood sugar levels, they were left out of the total carb count.

Be very careful to read both nutritional info and ingredients before you buy or eat something!
Old 11-09-2003, 11:31 PM   #6  

I've noticed that you should read the ingredients anyway because alot of what we eat has high frutose corn syrup in it usually listed 2nd or 3rd but when you look at the carb count it may say 0 or 1 and list no sugar grams so make sure you always check the ingredients.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:52 PM   #7  
Head Princess

For those who want to know, here's a list of the most common forms of sugar alcohols. Watch your ingredient lists for these!

Isomalt

Lactitol

Maltitol

Mannitol

Sorbitol

Xylitol
Closed Thread