Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default SPLENDS vs. SWEET'N LOW CARBS

Here are two letters, one is from the makers of Sweet'n Low and the other is Splenda. Bottom line, when you use either packet, count it as one (1) carb:

You know me, always digging for information. I know some of us use Sweet'n Low because we like things just a tad bit sweeter than Splenda and may not count the carbs because those little pink packages say less than > 1 gm. What's less than 1 gm you say ? Read this and make sure you start counting them if your not already.

Here's the letter I got back from S&L's rep:

Dear Eileen,

Thank you for visiting us on the internet. As it states in the "FAQ"
section of our website (www.sweetnlow.com), Sweet'N Low granulated sugar substitute contains 0.9 gram of carbohydrates per 1 gram packet.

Sweet'N Low Liquid, however, contains absolutely zero carbohydrates. If you would like to see our "Nutrtion Facts," please visit our website homepage and click on the image of the specific product you are interested in (for example, Sweet'N Low packets). Thanks for your interest in our product.

Best regards,

Tracy Eichorn
Consumer Relations

__________________________________________________ __

I wrote Splenda to find out exactly how many CARBS are in each little yellow packet of Splenda, here's a copy of the letter they wrote me: They listed both for GRANULAR and PACKETS so see both.

Dear Eileen,

Thank you for visiting the SPLENDA (R) No Calorie Sweetener website. We hope you became more familiar with SPLENDA (R) No Calorie Sweetener during your visit to the site.

The caloric and carbohydrate content for SPLENDA (R) Brand Sweetener is as follows:

SPLENDA (R) Granular
1 tsp = 0.5 gm carb = 2 calories
one half cup = 12 gm carb = 48 calories
1 cup = 24 gm carb = 96 calories

*1 tsp. = 1 serving

Packet of SPLENDA (R)
1 packet = .9 gm of carb = 4 calories

*1 packet has the sweetness of 2 tsp of sugar

Note: Per U.S. labeling laws, anything with less than 5 calories per serving, is properly labeled as "zero" or no-calorie.

The caloric and carbohydrate content for sugar is as follows:

Sugar
1 tsp = 4 gm of carb= 16 calories
one half cup = 96 gm of carb= 385 calories
1 cup = 192 gm of carb = 770 calories

Note: The calories and carbohydrates in SPLENDA (R) No Calorie Sweetener comes from dextrose and/or maltodextrin, which are added for bulk. Sucralose the sweetening ingredient in SPLENDA (R) Brand Sweetener, has no calories and is not a carbohydrate.

Granular - sucralose, maltodextrin (0.5 gram per serving)
Packets - sucralose, maltodextrin and dextrose (less than 1 gram per packet)

SPLENDA (R) No Calorie Sweetener (sucralose) has no known side effects. Sucralose can be used by everyone; including people with diabetes, pregnant and nursing mothers, and children. The safety of SPLENDA (R) Brand Sweetener has been demonstrated as part of our clearance process with the FDA as well as other regulatory agencies around the world. There are no warning labels on the product to exclude anyone from enjoying SPLENDA (R) No Calorie Sweetener.

We hope this information is helpful; however, if you would like to learn more, you are welcome to contact us again through e-mail or call a SPLENDA (R) No Calorie Sweetener representative at 1-800-777-5363.

Tracey Ely
SPLENDA Consumer Relationship Center
Old 09-22-2003, 06:13 PM   #2  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Thanks Eileen... I did not know this (and now I can add those 4 packets I used daily into my count). UGH!
Old 09-22-2003, 09:07 PM   #3  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Just a "Canadian" note.....the Sweet and Low packets I have been using have only .5 carbs each!

Froufie
Old 09-23-2003, 04:52 AM   #4  
thin within

hi, i also just found this on the atkins' site. it confirms what you reported.

"all sugar substitutes contain about 0.9 gram of carbohydrate, which you should count as 1 gram. Be sure to account for the amount you use in recipes in your daily carb count."

thanks for the eye opener!
Old 09-28-2003, 11:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/158.8/135

Height: 5'5"

THANKS FOR THE INFO.
I DIDN'T THINK ABOUT COUNTING THE SPLENDA PACKETS
THAT IS UNTIL NOW

DINKI
Old 09-29-2003, 04:04 AM   #6  

I think it says this on the packets, if you look. In Canada there is Sugar Twin also--tastes better than Sweet and Low, and in my opinion, Splenda. It's not expensive.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:22 AM   #7  

What about liquid sugar subsitutes ??? I looked at the back they say no carbs.Not the usual less than 1. I read somewhere else that the powder is what has the carbs.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:03 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Bella, your exactly right but I don't think you can purchase liquid splenda (yet), I think you can w/sweetn low.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:01 PM   #9  

I got the store brand and I assume by the label it would be the same.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:18 PM   #10  
Away we go!!!!!! (pounds)

Default Spenda is terrific!

I tried Splenda for the first time today and it tastes great!!!
Old 10-18-2003, 12:50 PM   #11  
reaching my goals

I love Splenda too. Da Vinci flavored liquid sweetener also contains splenda with "0 carbs" per 1 tbsp serving. I'm not sure how much it really has in it but it's good to use in coffee or hot tea. I've found it in vanilla and hazelnut flavors already.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:21 PM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Supersized, where do you buy this Da Vinci stuff ? You hit a nerve when you said hazelnut mmmmmmmmmmmmmm !
Old 10-19-2003, 03:09 PM   #13  
Each Bite of Sugar...

The DaVinci factory is (luckily for me) right here in Seattle!! My dh used to pick up their shipments at the warehouse. =)

You should be able to find it in major grocery stores by the other syrups for coffee - next to the coffee.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:24 AM   #14  
Moderator & Happy Chick

THANK YOU !!

I'm gonna start hunting for this.... YUM!
Old 10-20-2003, 11:09 PM   #15  
reaching my goals

Leens, some Wal-Mart locations carry it. 2 of the 3 in my area carry it. It's yummy.

I found a site today that is a different brand and I ordered 6 different flavors. i'll let you know how they compare in flavor when they come in. Butterscotch and Pralines are just 2 of the flavors I ordered. I can't wait to try them. The website is naturesflavors.com. I think they have 70 sugar free flavors. Jennifer had mentioned a website in an earlier posting but I couldn't find it.
Closed Thread