Primal/Paleo for April 2011

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • Hi ladynredd,
    If you want to go heavy duty Paleo, Google "Robb Wolf" - he has many free pod casts on his blog.
    Some folks are less strict, more "Primarian" and do allow some dairy. Dr. Barbara Berkely has a web page and Facebook site with info and a great book. http://www.refusetoregain.com/
    Gary Taubes has the most scientific evidence to back up a no sugar/starch/grains life style. Very motivating. His book is readable and provides an easy blueprint for eating.

For all, Taubes has an article in the NYTimes "Is Sugar Toxic?". http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/ma...e&ref=homepage Although the Times is a paid site, you can still access 20 articles a month free.
  • Welcome Ladyinred,

Take a look at my blog, I've listed several great references that may help you decide if a paleo, primal or neither WOE is for you. I recommend Cordain, Sisson, De Vany and Wolf for the "how to's" and Taubes for the "why's". You can probably find all of these books at the library as well.

I have lupus and rheumatoid arthritis and paleo has completely changed my life. Like you, I was a carb fanatic (I was vegan, so everything a ate included carbs) but this WOE keeps you so satiated, after a few weeks you won't miss them. Don't get me wrong, you still have to want to change your life, it's not just going to happen but if you don't want to count calories, eat until you feel full, indulge in all the stuff you've ever been told was bad (I have bacon and eggs fried in bacon fat every morning for breaky), this may be for you. Sure you have to give up grains and sugar but there is so much great stuff to replace it including being pain-free everyday, more energetic and getting slimmer!

I hope you at least try this WOE - give it 30 days, you won't regret it!
  • I'm just hearing about the Paleo stuff...will be going on a retreat next month where it will be one of the topics of discussion. I think I'm slowly inching my way into this way of eating quite naturally, since I chose to quit processed foods due to food sensitivities.

Will be lurking here a lot more to learn more from you all.
  • Hello folks!

I had a really off Friday - it involved a girls' night I could have been a lot more prepared and could have chosen a better meal for myself. It was a nice resto, we'll go again and I'll do a better job.

And then, yesterday, was the first day I never felt hungry. Like, I could have fasted and been fine. I didn't - I ate small meals, much less than usually - I'm still in the meal habit, still in the fear of gettin' the shakes.
    (If I'd have been at home, I probably would have tested IFing, but since I was at work I didn't want to risk.)

It was interesting!

Geob: Enjoy the lurking! and wlcome!
  • geog

Souvenir, I used to get the shakes a LOT when I was eating the old way or when I eat too many carbs - which I have been lately - BUT when I am totally on track - which I will start tomorrow *promise* -- I never get the shakes -- you probably could have fasted but I don't blame you for not experimenting at work...

Oh, yeah, I am totally offffff course, this morning I also started on the wrong foot... Tonight we are having asparagus, cabbage and salmon for supper so that is good for moi! I'll probably make rice for the others though, but I don't miss rice as much as I thought I would ...
  • Ber, just ate a load of junk and feeling irritated at myself because I knew better Sigh. Now I am all bloated and gassy.

Oh well! Thank goodness for tea!
  • OK, everyone follow me. We're jumping back on the wagon. Ready,...... Set..... Hey, who moved the wagon!

I've been off again. But I find I'm more on than off when I look at my track record. And I've tested my calories/carbs by plugging into sparkpeople. I'm eating naturally between 1200-18oo calories and 100 - 125 carbs. So I decided to whittle the carbs back more. Then today, I didn't. Tomorrow's another day. Today I had a surprise of candy from my boss, then a surprise that I was working late (not related to the candy), and I wasn't prepared food wise to stay that late. I did what was asked, developed a hypoglycemic attack, and ended up eating pure crap. Tomorrow's another day right? right.
  • Arkansas Kel, I agree, today is a new day

I made some pretty delicious pâté yesterday with bacon, chicken liver and tons of garlic. I'm a but surprised to like the liver, but then i usually like packaged meat spreads. I had it on a salad for breakfast. I'd like to experiment more with organ meats because they're so inexpensive.

So it's been a month since I started eating primally. I've decided to stick to it, not because the weight loss has been especially significant, but because of the food enjoyment/satisfaction and weight maintenance factor.

Does anyone have any recommendations for successful weight loss on this way of eating? Things that work for them?

I know I need to be more consistent about my carb intake and need to consider fitting in IF. My exercise has been acceptable but I haven't been sprinting. I haven't been tracking any calories.
  • HA, was defeated by Easter candy today. Defeated is not a strong enough description. Mauled would be more like it. (Picture peeps with claws and teeth, flinging jelly beans at you like hand grenades.... Bunnies with their delicacy chocolate ears stacking hershey bar forts) You know it could happen!

Anyway, was left alone a long time at work today, got bored, ate a ton of candy. Why did I have that in my office? Cause it was a nice gift from a nice boss. She really is, but the gift, nice as it seems, mauled me. Again, tomorrow's another day.
  • Hahaha, I love that mental image! Next time, strike back!
  • Somewhat better day as far as the sweets goes, but not a grain free day which is one of my actual goals. It was meetings all day - no kididng. Get my normal required job done 8-11 - then I had 2 meetings at 11 (I chose the one that provided lunch of course), a meeting at 1, 2 at 2PM, and 1 at 3P - left work at 430. Had a sugar crash (I have a hypo prob), ate fast food crap for supper. I need a little dusting of will power I think. Today was a wash too. Hopefully, so long as I don't throw in the towel completely I'll find my way back. I do want this WOE, I just am struggling right now.

Souvenir: Obviously I'm no example right now, and I am on double my weight gain meds (long story) for now, BUT most say that cutting the fruits and starchy veg down helps with the weight loss. OR try a nutrition tracker for a few days and see what is adding up high. I don't worry about fats/calories, but when I did this I found my carbs were higher than I thought, and my calories were lower than I thought. Might give you some insight.
  • Doin' Good!
    Sorry to hear that some of you have been struggling with your food choices. I've been there more times than I want to count! Right now, however, I'm in a good place and really enjoying it.

Still kind of feeling my way with regard to this new way of eating but I guess I'm doing something right as I've lost 5 pounds so far this week! I know I'll face a challenge on Easter Sunday, when we'll be having dinner at someone else's house (anyone have any suggestions?) but so far, so good!

Last night for dinner I had steak, pan-fried mushrooms, and I roasted asparagus for the first time (good!) DH had a potato instead of the mushrooms; win-win for both of us. I saved part of the steak, which was a little bit too rare, and plan to saute' it this morning with half an onion and a zucchini for breakfast.

Today is one of the days of the month when work is its most grueling. I never know if I'll get a break, or what time I'll be done. DH will shift for himself for dinner and I have something very simple planned for myself as I know I'll be too tired to have much interest in cooking.

Hope everyone has a GREAT day.
  • Welcome Ladyinred you snuk in without a welcome from moi! Glad to see you're doing so well...

Well I am back on track as of yesterday ... A co-worker and I have a Whole 30 going on from the 21st of April to the 21st of May... Should be fun ...

Yesterday I weighed in feeling for sure that I had gained weight, felt bloated, the back fat was all out there dang I hate back fat!! But lo and behold I was down to 154.4 ... I felt great the rest of the day, funny how a stoooopid scale can control your mood :...
  • Yay Ilene, and thanks for the support Lady.

Lady, the diet isn't necessarily hard, I read a website somewhere that talked about it. He said basically what's hard about tossing some fat in a skillet, then some meat, then some veg and adding the lid for awhile. He's right. It's when I'm faced with the temptations lately I can't muster enough will power.

Today I made about 80%. All on track with the exception of 6 tortilla chips, 4 bites of chocolate mocha cake (yes, it was luxuriously good - better than I expected and it was cut into huge pieces - I cut off an itty bitty piece), a marshmallow (ok, coated in dk chocolate but I don't count dk chocolate as bad in small quantities), and a piece of texas toast with my supper. Otherwise, good. That's actually only off track some - because the rest was all good for my goals. Tomorrow, hoping to get another inch closer. I've decided it's still a go so long as I keep trying. Besides, as long as I'm avoiding the gain right now, I'm doing good. This stupid clomid makes me feel like I'm STARVING all the time. I want it all. As I drive home down the highway, cattle in the fields are nervous when they see me. And they should be......
  • We had Thai food for supper.... soooo noooot PRIMAL!!!!