Old 03-14-2006, 09:38 PM   #1  

Default Hi everyone, please critique my plan!

I calculated everything out, and to get to my goal weight by the end of August, I need to have a 1000 calorie deficit every day until then.

So, I plan on eating 1000 calories a day (Im starting next Tues), but I also don't want to slow down my metabolism. So, I decided that I would eat 100 calories for every mile that I walk or jog.

So I could range from 1000 calories (if I don't exercise) to 1500 (do a 5 mile walk).

I'm going to try to do at least 2 miles a day so that I get in 1200 calories, because I know this is the lowest one should go. I'm also going to try to get busy in general, and do some strength training videos.

What do you all think?

I know this is going to be hard, but I feel like if I don't do it now, I never will. Any thoughts are appreciated!
UnCafeCvooPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi Lauren. Can we have a few more details? Height and weight?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You asked what we think, so please don't take this as an attack.

First, I think that calorie limit is too low. Too low, unless you'll be supervised by a doctor. Even then... I think you run the risk of setting yourself up for failure. There are all kinds of reasons why we shouldn't eat too few calories: it's hard to get enough nutrition, and you may lose muscle along with fat, so you lose weight but still look flabby... those are a couple.

Second, if you really only do need 2000 calories/day to maintain your weight (as you imply) and are about 50 pounds overweight, then I don't think you will lose 2 pounds/week. Weight loss slows as we get closer to goal. People who lose 2 pounds/week are usually far from goal. I can still manage it some weeks, but not like I did at first, and I weigh well over 200 pounds.

So, you sound like you're in a big hurry to lose weight, but I would be concerned that it would just come back again. Restricting yourself a lot may not teach you what it takes to keep it off. WHy put yourself on a timetable and set deadlines?

Just some thoughts -- again, not meant as an attack!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:31 PM   #4  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Wow, girl, 1000 calories a day doesn't sound like enough--I don't care what size you are. Wyllen had some good tips, though. Deadlines and and not restricting yourself too much is smart stuff! Good luck!!!!
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:51 PM   #5  
with my mind on my monkey

Think of it as a lifestyle - not a diet. If it's not something you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life, it'll be hard to have success in the long run. I don't know about you, but I'd be miserable eating that little - and besides, you *can* eat more and still lose weight! Remember, it's not a race.
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:32 PM   #6  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

If you want an honest answer, I think there's a few things wrong with your plan. From everything I've read and after talking to my doctor recently, the lowest daily caloric intake you should have is 1200 calories/day - and that's an absolute minimum on a doctor-supervised weight loss plan. It can actually be counter-productive to go too low - your body can freak out and go into starvation mode, trying to store any fat it can. This means you may lose weight, but at the end of it, you certainly won't be healthy.

You're also wanting a drastic change in a short period of time - generally this type of weight loss isn't maintainable, since you're essentially going for a quick-fix, rather than a long-term lifestyle change. When you're really strict with yourself, it may work for a week or two, but you're far more likely fail than if you make gradual changes that you can live with for the rest of your life.

I talked to my doctor about losing weight before I started (he's in the middle of writing a book about it), and the idea behind what I'm doing is that I eat enough calories to maintain a person who's the size I want to be. At my goal weight of 135 lb (I'm 5'2"), I'd eat 1,700 calories/day ot maintain that. Even if I wanted to get down to 115 My calories would only drop to about 1,600. And it's working - not super-fast, but it's maintainable, and I've stuck with it since the beginning of January, and I've lost weight every week. I would definitely suggest that you do some more research into healthy lasting weight-loss - maybe talk to your doctor, or to some of the people on the maintainers board. The plan you're suggesting sounds like a quick fix that's potentially harmful to your body. Not trying to sound mean or anything here, i just don't want you to go through a lot of really hard work and then have it all come back on a year from now.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:48 PM   #7  

Don't worry i don't take any one's advice as an attack! I really appreciate feedback.

It does sound kind of unreasonable. Maybe I should increase the calories....I just really want to take advantage of the time I have off from school to get a lot of it off, because I know its going to be so much harder to be this strict when I have all that stress again. I don't want to gain it back then either, but I feel like if I can get it off I'll feel happier and be more motivated to not overeat (maybe I'm deluded).

I am 170 and want to be 125. I'm 5'7" and 20 yrs old. I get so many different outcomes when I type in how many calories it takes for me to maintain....I usually get around 1900, but I know that can't be right because I binge eat all of the time and haven't been gaining (well at least not yet).

Hmm I dont know. I care about my health but I think I care more about being skinny (sad I know, but I've wanted this for so long and am so sick of failing). I thought 1200 was an acceptable amount though? Hard to do, but at least healthy. I calculated everything on caloriesperhour.com and according to that Ill be able to eat about 1800 when I get to my goal, something I could totally live with.

Sorry for such a long post! Not quite sure what I'm asking at this point...lol
Old 03-14-2006, 11:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Lauren ( i love your screen name). I teach, and I understand what you mean about wanting to take advantage of the time off. I started last summer when I was off from teaching, and the time DID help. But I would recommend you use that time for educating yourself about healthy ways to lose weight and KEEP it off -- plans that will work for you.

Second, you need time to build habits that you continue after school starts again. I was VERY nervous when fall came, wondering if I would fall flat on my face. I haven't at all, but because I made a real commitment to sticking with it for life. Get into good habits and strategize how to keep them when things get loopy. After all, after school, there is life, and that's plenty loopy!

Here's one idea to help you get started. Log onto a site like nutridiary or fitday and started logging everything you eat (when my doctor suggested it I was HIGHLY resistant, but it's a great tool). You will also start to learn how you are doing at meeting other nutritional needs as well.

Why not start by just PLANNING to lose 1 pound/week. You may have to play around with the calories for a while, but why not start with about 1500 calories/day plus exercise and see how it goes. If you lose, great! If not, drop the calories a little. I don't think at your weight it would be healthy to drop so low in calories or to lose that much weight per week.

You are young and this is a fabulous time to get your weight under control. I wish I had made that commitment to myself years (and pounds) ago.

And remember this is for life. Go back to school down 20-30 pounds with a plan that keeps you losing and keeps it off, rather than losing 50 pounds and gaining it all back! Plus, if you do it well, you can eat a lot of great foods that really give you energy!! That is something that I have just been amazed by -- there really is something to the idea of, you know, nutrition and food as fuel!

And hang here and read and ask questions -- this is a great site!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:53 AM   #9  

Default My outlook

Hey go for it. You asked for my opinion well do it. I did that my first month and I lost like 15 pounds like nothing. I took vitamins everyday to make up for what I was not getting food wise. But soon my stomach got smaller and I felt like eating less and less after that month.

Some people might say " you will go into starvation mode" blah blah blah well not matter if you do you will lose weight over time not just muscle. I say personally go for a 1000 cal diet a day ( which to me is a decent amount of food if you count good ) for say 4 days a week and the others go 1200-1500 and every Saturday and or Friday eat whatever you want with moderation. Every Friday I have a full dinner with an appetizer a few beers and chocolate cheesecake and I still lose each and every week Why?? because its cals in VS cals out.

I now eat low cals about 1,000 3 times a week and the others maybe 1200-1500 and on Fridays its a free day. by free I don’t me McDonalds or BK I mean whatever seems semi-healthy from a restaurant like a Country Club Melt and fries or a chicken cheese steak. I’d advise not to go 1000 every day switch it up go low, low then high high, low low low, high high by low I mean 900-1000 and high I mean nothing over 1600. You want to go about 1,000 calories for 2 days them back to 1500 why you may ask well your body WILL get used to only 1,000 calories and your weight loss will SLOW and if you do this you shock your body and you pull one over on your metabolisms, it thinks wow not may cals today then BAM with more so it does not get used to such a low amount and your 1 free day kicks your fat burners in high gear because they think **** A FEAST BURN BABY BURN and then back to the 1,000 cals.

I hope this makes some sense. People will say that this way will not last I say hey if you lose 25 pounds or whatever you aim at your not going to go out and binge every day are you??? I would hope not if your going to go out and eat like a cow after you reach your goal you will gain weight back.

I found out that I can eat 1,000 cals 3-4 times a week and loss and the next week eat 1800 everyday but 1 and stay at my current weight. 1800 cals is a lot of food a day. People here will yell at you but hey I did this and the loss has lasted and my doc says I am healthy.

**I am not a doc and I have not even played one on TV ***

but do what you want PM me if you want more info.

Last edited by TANK; 03-15-2006 at 01:10 AM.
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:16 AM   #10  

Thank you so much for the responses! Its so wonderful that you guys would take your time to help me out. Wyllenn, I hope to be a teacher one day! I think I want to do K-7.

I came up with a new plan because I think you guys might be right that I will just gain the weight back, not learn anything, etc. I feel a lot more confident about this plan. I think before I was pretty concerned I wouldn't actually stick to the plan.

My plan:
-eat whatever I want, but do not exceed calories
-try to eat as much filling food as possible (fruits, veggies, oatmeal...)
-eat 1700 calories a day, or less
-walk or run 5 miles total every day, doesn't matter how or in what increments, but have to do 5 miles

If time:
-do hips thighs and buttocks work out every other day (30 minute video)
-do arms workout on alternating days (about 10 minutes)

After some success,
-eventually incorporate ab exercises, slowly at first ( i have NO core strength, never have)
-start doing some stuff to gain flexibility (yoga, etc perhaps)

Also, I really want to do martial arts if time permits!

I would love to hear what you think!
Old 03-15-2006, 03:20 AM   #11  

Default wow

Sounds good with all the work outs but I dont want to burst a bubble but saying your going to walk 5 miles a day, jog,swim,lift, do karate, yoga and the like is easy to write down and or type but to do it EVERY day is anouther thing. I like working out as I was a powerlifting / football coach for 5 years and I only work out 3 times a week because of my schedule. If you want to fill up use vegs not qoatmeal all those carbs are great if your going to follow this routine you made if not those carbs will kill your weight loss as you will store it. below is a snack list I personally found helped me out calories wise.

----

Pickels
Egg whites
Salmon Smoked Chicken of the sea
Light Tuna
Fat Free Mayo
Sugar free relish
Liter 35 Bread - 35 cals a slice 100% wheat
Sugar free Jello--I love this stuff
Cabbot 75% light cheddar cheese
Angel food cake
fudgsicycles
Fat Free sour cream
Salsa
BAKed tortia chips
100 cal snack packs
cranrasins
beef jerkey
turkey peperoni
Fat free mozzarella
no salt added spinach / green beans
I cant bealve its not butter spray
mushrooms
red/green peppers
onions
turkey healthy choice
carb options soups
healthy choice soups
low fat graham crakers
FAt free / reduced cheese sticks
DANNON fit and healthy smothies
Fat free and or lowfat cottage cheese
low Salt boiled ham slice
frozen rasberries
dried bluberries
100 cal pringle snacks
chicken breast
chicken sausage
turkey sausgare
turkey burgers
low carb ketschup
fat free salad dressing
hard boild eggs - eggland best
ocean spray light juice - cran-raz, cran-grape 40 cals a serving
WATER WATER WATER
100 cal 94& Fat Free pop corn mini bags

*** all of this stuff are in my cart each week**

Life saving "desserts"

Fat Free Cool Whip - 15 cals a serving
+
Sugar Cones + 10 cals
+
Sprinkles + 5 cals ( A small pinch )

= A great tasty/healthy icecream I love it

( Could even add some sugar free chocolate syrup )

--------------------

low fat honey grahm craker cut in half which is pretty big- 60 calls +

Fat free cool whip - 15 cals

= A greta icre cream sandwhich

HINT: eat it right away its good wrap it and place in frezzer for about an hour the graham craker gets sorta soft like a soft batch cookie its sooooooo freaking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnCafeCvooPlay
Thank you so much for the responses! Its so wonderful that you guys would take your time to help me out. Wyllenn, I hope to be a teacher one day! I think I want to do K-7.

I came up with a new plan because I think you guys might be right that I will just gain the weight back, not learn anything, etc. I feel a lot more confident about this plan. I think before I was pretty concerned I wouldn't actually stick to the plan.

My plan:
-eat whatever I want, but do not exceed calories
-try to eat as much filling food as possible (fruits, veggies, oatmeal...)
-eat 1700 calories a day, or less
-walk or run 5 miles total every day, doesn't matter how or in what increments, but have to do 5 miles

If time:
-do hips thighs and buttocks work out every other day (30 minute video)
-do arms workout on alternating days (about 10 minutes)

After some success,
-eventually incorporate ab exercises, slowly at first ( i have NO core strength, never have)
-start doing some stuff to gain flexibility (yoga, etc perhaps)

Also, I really want to do martial arts if time permits!

I would love to hear what you think!
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:47 AM   #12  

Why are you waiting until Tuesday?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:53 AM   #13  

Thanks for all the great ideas TANK! Great shopping list!

I know, I was wondering if I would stick to the exercise routine too, but then I realized I have to believe in my own ability to do SOMETHING. I think its a lot more likely for me to do this exercise plan than to eat very few calories.

Also, because I'm not going to be in school, I'm going to have literally ZERO stress as well as free time (I'm getting a job, but no more papers, tests, etc. hanging over my head CONSTANTLY). I really think this one is doable, especially if i break up the walking in to sessions (2 mi before work, 3 after..or something like that). Plus I think it'll get easier after a while.

I used to make those graham cracker sandwiches too! I used yogurt to make mine though, I'll have to try the coolwhip (its probably less calories too) They ARE delicious!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #14  

Hi SusanB,

I don't want to start yet because it's finals week. I know its an excuse, but I don't want to place any more burdens on myself besides getting my work done and studying. Especially because I'd be really upset at myself if I didn't study as much/well in the very last few weeks, when I've been overeating all along to help me cope with school.

I'm going to try to limit the calories, but the 5 mi plan isn't going to fly right now. lol, especially since I have no endurance/strength built up yet. I know your thinking, how is it going to work later on then. hmmm...I think once I get to my goal I'm going to change the plan to something more doable--probably greater intensity less time.

OK this has got me to thinking, WHY am I not starting now? Maybe I will try to get some walking/running in today!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #15  

Getting up from your books for even 10 minutes might actually help you. Just get up and jump or something. And you're right! There's no reason why you can't start watching your foods now.
You seem a lot more optimistic this morning. That's good!