Old 01-14-2006, 09:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Question about calories, fitday and eating...

I was wondering....I have been trying to keep my calories under 1800...and lately I have realized that most days with a workout I am burning enough so that I am well under that....my question is this-fitday seems a little unreliable when it comes to calories being burned during the day, (without activities counted in) so if I eat 1300-1500 calories, and then workout with Taebo for an hour, should I be eating over 1500 to make up the difference?

I am sorry if this is confusing, but I am not sure how to word it better.

If you want to see the fitday entries, here is the latest one:http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJourn...r=grumbleworts

I really appreciate any help, and i apologize if this is something that's been addressed before. There's just so much conflicting information!!
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #2  

I have been using Fitday for over 4 months, non-stop. I have tried targetting a certain deficit every day, and I have also tried targetting a certain calorie intake every day.

- Intake targetting makes it easier to establish daily eating routines.

- Deficit targetting keeps my body guessing more, and its probably better for my metabolism.

Both work, it just depends which works better for you.

I have written about it a few times in my blog, so I'll just post a link instead of repeating it:
http://bostondiet.blogspot.com/2005/...argetting.html

One thing that has happened since I switched to an intake target is that my rate of weight loss has slowed to less than 1 lb per 3500 calories deficit. So targetting a deficit might have been better for my metabolism. But at the same time, my body fat has gone from 30% down to 11%, so the slower metabolism might just be my body's defense mechanisms kicking in.
ultraclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I think you're getting confused because you're doing too many "goes in to's"
Take a step back.
You took in 1442 calories.
You used 2549.
Right? So you have a calorie defict of 1107. Are ya with me so far?

It's all a matter of using more calories than you eat. That's all. So if you have a deficit (more calories used than eaten) you will lose weight.

A lot of folks are finding that if they set their activity level to "sedentary" and add their work and exercise calories, they come up with numbers that seem more realistic to them.

Come on over to the Calorie Counters KISS thread. We all work on having a deficit everyday.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Thanks ladies, that did help some....just too much reading information all at the same time I think! (and being sleepy when i did it. ) And I will have to head to the Calorie Counters KISS thread later tomorrow.

Thanks!

Vanessa
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #5  
candieangel12

S/C/G: 160

Height: 5'3

do u think this is 2 much food for 1 day:3oranges, tea, 2 peanut butter bars, 1 small bowl of salad, 5 tablespoons of rice, and fish soup. that is breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack all combined together
candieangel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #6  
candieangel12

S/C/G: 160

Height: 5'3

oh yeah and my fitday says i burned 2,000 sumthing calories today
candieangel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #7  

No Candie, I don't. But honestly I'm not familiar with the nutrient content of fish soup or peanut butter bars.
Do you have a fitday.com account? You'd then be able to judge your calories yourself. Or bring the numbers here so we can have a look.

Anyway ... we're happy to help.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:12 PM   #8  

Wow, we're posting at the same time.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:54 AM   #9  

I just posted this in another thread. Do you put in your sleep time under activities in fitday? If not it assumes you're going 24/7. Try added sleep and you'll see more accurate numbers!
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #10  

Valerie, I really think that depends to what you have your lifestyle set. I went into more detail on the KISS thread.

There is also a calorie queens thread here. It's based on a book that premises eating no more than your basal calories burned, which are based on your ideal weight...everything else is extra calories burned. Which takes you back to KISS (keeping it simple).
1dayatatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by candieangel12
do u think this is 2 much food for 1 day:3oranges, tea, 2 peanut butter bars, 1 small bowl of salad, 5 tablespoons of rice, and fish soup. that is breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack all combined together
Please be careful here. Counting your calories is truly not about how little you can eat. It's about filling your calories with good for you food. I'm not saying what you have took in is not good for you, I'm saying don't be worried about it being too much food - worry more about the content of the food. When it's good content, the calories take care of themselves. Deprivation will inevitably lead to failure.

I only speak from experience. Btw, what exactly is fish soup?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #12  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

okay you say to enter your sleep do you enter the hours or minutes? just curious
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:28 PM   #13  

Who said enter sleep? I wouldn't enter sleep if I have my lifestyle set at 'sedentary'. Only if I had it set at 'standing work' OR 'strenuous work'. And yes, I would enter the amount of time. But that's not an endorsement to use anything but sedentary. Anything above a sedentary lifestyle with activities entered later (and sleeping is not an activity) is overestimating the calories burned, in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #14  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

okay i think i just got confused by one of the post's

"Do you put in your sleep time under activities in fitday? If not it assumes you're going 24/7. Try added sleep and you'll see more accurate numbers!"
Old 01-16-2006, 01:43 AM   #15  
This time for good!

Default I use FitDay PC....

And don't bother, anymore, with the exercise logging. I found that it gave me a false sense of security and I ate more to "compensate". My thoughts are that I will eat "X" aount of food. Any extra that I burn off is a bonus.
HappyWife is offline   Reply With Quote