Old 09-07-2005, 06:18 PM   #1  

Default SALMON ~ Help!... What is this?

Ummm... well I bought a salmon because everyone said it was a good fish to eat. Well I just opened the package and one side of the fish is silver and black!!! Lol. The skin or whatever is still on it!!!

Do I cook it like that and eat that or is there some way to get that off?????

I forget how someone told me to cook this! I was thinking in some butter spray (ICBINB spray) with salt, pepper, and maybe some garlic powder. Baked on 350 for 25 minutes. It is 0.97 lbs. Does this sound like a good way to cook this???

We have never had salmon before lol.
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:50 PM   #2  
it's always something

Yes, that is the skin It might also have bones in it, too. Canned salmon is already cooked, so you just pick out what you don't want to eat, then you usually mix the salmon flakes into something such as salmon croquettes.

Salmon filets, however, are not cooked, and taste much better than canned salmon. You can bake, saute, or grill them. They are delicious marinated then grilled.

Here is my favorite recipe for salmon --
http://www.3fatchicks.com/cookbook/viewrecipe/534

Quote:
Barbecue Roasted Salmon
ingredients
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cooking spray

directions
Combine first 3 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally. Preheat oven to 400*F.Remove fish from bag; discard marinade. Combine sugar and next 5 ingredients (sugar through cinnamon) in a bowl. Rub over fish; place in an 11 x 7-inch baking dishcoated with cooking spray. Bake at for 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with lemon, if desired.
It has a little over 300 calories per serving, and goes with any kind of veggie.

I buy the salmon filets at Super Walmart. They are frozen and individually wrapped, so I just thaw out what I want to cook. I don't like canned salmon. Oh, there are several different types of salmon, too. Wild salmon is verrrry good, but can be expensive.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #3  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Do you have a dog? Salmon skin is VERY good for a dog's coat and they -- at least mine -- find it very, very, very yummy. I always have salmon for dinner on my dogs' birthdays so they can have salmon skin.

RANDOM....sorry.

PS: Cats like salmon skin, too.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #4  

Yummy!! Thank you! There was more then enough for all of us! I did not think there would be enough when I bought it. But because of the price I could only buy so much! But we even had left overs!!! Not much, but still lol.

Thanks for your help! I sure apprecaite it.

Kate... the skin was blah haha. I can see how it would good for the animals coat though.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Ya know what else is good? I put it in a foil pack on the barbeque with dill, parsley and just a swish of lemon. I think I spray the foil first. I love salmon!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #6  

That sounds yummy too! I am going to have to remember all of this. I think having it on the grill would be awesome! My house would smell less to hahaha. I have to get some spices and herbs lol. Then I think I will have better foods.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #7  
I wanna look like this

I don't like the skin either but I usually don't remove it until after the fish is cooked. It's much easier like that and saves me from a big mess!

Since I'm a big fan of soy sauce I recommend an asian style salmon marinating the fish in soy, garlic and lemon grass. Fry on a pan, no fat necessary if it's a non-stick pan.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:25 AM   #8  

I like salmon cooked on the BBQ. I have had trouble with it sticking so when my son isn't home to cook, I make a foil packet and put the salmon in with 2 slices of lemon. I love the BBQ flavor so I poke lots of holes with a fork in the foil and put it on the grill.
lyndaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #9  

It is MUCH easier to remove after it is cooked lol! I tried before and it was a bit of a mess! I did not get past a corner either!

The grill sounds yummy too! I will have to try taht too.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:45 PM   #10  

If you put the salmon skin down on tinfoil on a broiling pan, sprinkle with lemon, minced garlic and lemon juice, then broil 10 to 15 minutes (until a little crispy on top), the meat will slide right off the skin, which sticks to the foil. No clean-up, and very, very good. Also good with rainbow-trout fillets.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:30 PM   #11  

Now that is a good idea too! Thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:16 AM   #12  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I usually put some dill and pepper and toss it on the indoor grill (pretty much like one of those forman thingies). It only takes like 10 minutes...I'm drooling now....good stuff
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:39 AM   #13  

Default Eat the skin!

Unless the salmon is in a certain time of year, that's where most of the omega-3's are!

It can be a bit strong, I know, but if you flip it skin side up and stick it under the broiler, you can toast it crisp and the taste is not so strong. I don't like the skin when it's....uh....slimy, either , but crispy is just fine.

Your skin, hair, and heart will thank you!

S.
saengerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:59 AM   #14  

Holly (I think I remember right... if not) Chick in the hat......

It doesn't burn in there? That sounds like a good idea though! It will give me a reason to use the dang forman I bought lol. I don't use it hardly enough lol.

How are you feeling since your accident? I hope your doing well.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:02 AM   #15  

saengerin,

Thats a good idea.

~~~~~

The salmon we bought had a sticker on it saying "product from chili". That's ok right? It tasted good any way lol. It wasn't on sale this week so we passed on it. We were going to get some pre-done boxed gortons (I think) grilled salmon because they were on sale... but they were sold out. I didn't even get to look at the nutritional info! Maybe next week.