Old 08-27-2005, 08:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174.2/148.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Is it better to change up your Calories

I've been reading some of the post and have read that some of you change your intake of calories? Is this good. I've been keeping my calories at ~1350 (plus or minus 25) everyday. Would it be better to range between 1200 and 1400? I work out at least (if not more) 3x treadmil (2miles) and every other day for abs.

Any answers would be apprieciated. I've been a scalaholic this week becasue last week I didn't lose (I assumed water rentention) and no change this week(offical weigh in is Monday). Aunt flo has shown up. I'm afraid of another no loss week. I've really worked hard so it would be really disappointing if I didn't lose this week too.
diamond_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I can't honestly answer that. I don't intentionally change up, I just have a day or two of eating waaaay to much. So, yes my calories vary.
I posted mainly to tell you that I often have a swoosh of weight loss after my period. This time it was 4 or 5 pounds in two weeks.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 174.2/148.6/145

Thanks for your answer That's what I am hoping
diamond_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:32 AM   #4  
Lifeishort, Operaislong

Default I change every day

Hi Diamond Girl
I definitely change around my calories. My general aim for each day is 1500. When I have a heavy work out, I eat maybe 200 more, and some days, it just turns out that I only eat about 1350. I don't plan for it, I let my body sort of tell me what it needs.

And as for weighing while on your period, I would just try to not put too much importance on your weigh-in for this week, if you can. Just remind yourself that it is a fact of nature, and look forward to the next weigh-in.

I'm new here, btw. Nice to meet you, hope this helps!
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #5  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 320/200/150

I remember reading somewhere that changing up your calories prevents your metabolism from adjusting to the lower calories. According to what I read it takes a couple days of eating low calories for your metabolism to adjust and start burning calories slower. So the reasoning is that if you change up youur calories it will keep youur metabolism "guessing" and prevent it from slowing. I don't know if there's any validity to these claims, but it did make sense to me so I'm giving it a shot.
CrazyChubbyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:59 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I have heard the same about changing the calories so your metabolism doesn't adjust. I guess it would be the same as changing up your workout, because the body deffinity does adjust to that! When I did a strictly 1200 calories a day thing, I lost a lot slower than I am now going between 1200-1600 a day (1600 is my BMR). The thing is, everyone is different for a minimum amount. 1200 is supposedly the magic number, but for some people that is still a starvation point. Figure out your BMR (basal metabolic rate), you can google it and find a site to calculate it for you if you don't know how, and make that number your top number at maybe 1300 you low number. Switching it up can't hurt right, I mean since you haven't lost in a week or so? Give it a try and see what happens.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:02 AM   #7  

okay I have not tried this yet but I have a friend who has and they swear by it. The plan works like this you eat 1200-1400 calories for 6 weeks then you go to 1500 calories for 2 weeks then 1200-1400 calories for 6 weeks then 1500 calories for two weeks. the purpose of this is to keep the body from hitting a plateau.

flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:05 AM   #8  

My calorie intake varies, because I eat different things every day. I make sure I always get at least 1350, and I aim for an average of around 1540 per day. Sometimes I eat as high as 1900 or 2000 (dinner out or a fancy lunch), but I just keep track of my recent average and don't let that happen too often!
oliviacw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #9  

I intentionally vary my calorie intake from day to day. My goal is to average about 1500/day over the course of the week. I do think it helps keep my metabolism revved but, also, it suits my lifestyle better. My higher calorie days are not "free" in that I don't abandon healthy eating just because I am allowed more calories. But, having some higher calorie days does help me incorporate a little more flexibilty into my diet. If I do choose to splurge on something like a piece of birthday cake or dinner out I have my bases covered.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote