Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249.4/247.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Need LOW BUDGET healthy food ideas...

I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow and need some suggestions. My family is extremely low budget right now. We can't afford anything fancy. I have a husband and 3 kids who do NOT need to lose weight, but they need to start eating healthy as well. Husband usually does the shopping and always brings home things like hot dogs, and other cheap junk, but I've put my foot down and told him I'm doing the shopping from now on... Please give me some suggestions for low budget healthy food.
Mama Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Buy meat in bulk, such as whole chickens, and cut it up yourself. Beans and brown rice go a long way, as well as soups using leftovers and farmer's market veggies or ones that are soon to go bad in the store, the produce manager will sometimes discount them. Bags of apples are usually cheap, and bags of precleaned frozen shrimp are usually about 5 bucks at my local walmart. Stir fry with very little oil and bulk veggies such as peppers, onions, squash, things you can find on sale. This goes a long way. Sorry I don't have more, this is just some of what I do. If your family likes veggie dishes, there was a vegan site with recipes for really cheap, probably someone will post it.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

Whole wheat pasta can be cheap if you buy it in bulk, frozen spinach (super cheap) yogurt, frozen chicken breast... Chicken legs are usually chip, beans are cheap... Some veggies are cheap sometimes like zucchini, baby carrots, yams... Buy some spices and make it fun!

So, lots of ww pasta or rice, chicken and a few extra things. I usually don't buy junk for the house... Our problem comes from eating out

If you are willing to cook everyday, these things come in handy, cheap and somewhat healthier. Unfortunally real "healthy" food like organic veggies/fruit and meat is way too expensive.
Try to get some healthy snacks like almonds and low fat yogurt, low fat cottage cheese is super cheap.
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #4  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

My "go to" staples when I am broke are things like eggs, onions, brown rice, whole grain pasta, dried beans. I like mushrooms too.

Oh, and bacon. I separate the strips and put them in the freezer on a cookie sheet - once they are frozen I put them in a ziplock together but I can pull out one strip at a time. Bacon is a great "seasoning" - one strip of bacon won't add much fat but will add a lot of flavor to almost anything you cook.

This time of year I pretty much buy only frozen veggies - the quality is better and there's no waste, you only use what you need and put the rest back in the freezer.

I use the crockpot a lot. Spaghetti sauce with whatever veggies I have added in plus meat if you have it. Serve it over rice or pasta. Chicken, veggies, and a couple cans of cream of something soup served up over biscuits or waffles. Chili is just beans and seasonings.

Canned soups that you add more veggies too are often a meal for me. I often crack an egg in to my soup to add more protein but I don't subscribe to the "eggs are bad for your cholesterol" point of view. If you do then skip the egg - most Americans get more than enough protein that's for sure.

Feeding myself on a small budget isn't bad because I can eat the same thing day after day and be fine. Kids are a different matter and if you don't want to go the "hot dogs & box mac 'n' cheese" route you have to get creative.

Good luck!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #5  
Sam-I-Am

S/C/G: 324/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8

a lot of veggies tend to be really cheap, and pepperoni is cheap and doesn't have a ton of calories i use it with eggs, homemade pizza, just to snack on, etc. chicken and ground turkey are really inexpensive too (at least where i live), chicken fried rice is easy and cheap. i make thin crust calzones to freeze, and i fill flaky layers biscuits with bbq chicken, or broccolli chicken and cheese for easy SUPER cheap microwavable meals, they are portion controlled too!
samcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

Height: 5'8"

I second the beans suggestion...dried beans, peas and lentils are super cheap and make wonderful, nutritious and hearty soups with just a little extra time put into cooking them. Rice is also super cheap and is best when combined with beans, because they complement each other nutritionally.

Cabbage is cheap and you can eat it raw or cooked, and sweet potatoes are highly nutritious, full of fiber, delicious and very cheap. If I think of any more I will chime back in here.
gardend1va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Check out the shoestring meals sub-forum (in the Food area)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/shoestring-meals-235/

There are tons of threads with shopping tips, money-saving ideas, menus, recipes.... loads and loads of information.

Hubby and I went through a rough patch where our monthly food budget was as little as $25 for the month for both of us. When it was that low, we did eat a lot of pasta and rice, so it was higher carb than it should be (hubby and I both have blood sugar/diabetes issues), but we ate relatively healthy by focusing on the cheapest veggies (OMG, did we eat a lot of cabbage. We ate cabbage with everything but breakfast - take that back - sometimes we'd have soup for breakfast). We bought the cheapest fruit we could find, which usually meant bananas (Kwik Trip a local convenience store sells bananas at 38 cents a pound and apples, oranges and pears for 3 for $1).

I've always used exchange plans when dieting (and in general they're also good plans for non-dieters because they're based on a balanced diet - though you can "tweak" them to fit your own idea of balance. For example, I eat a relatively low-carb plan so I found a low-carb plan and adjusted it to my own ideas of balance. It differs from a "standard" plan by having more protein exchanges and fewer bread and fruit exchanges). My hubby didn't follow an exchange plan, but I still used one for him when shopping.

What I mean is that I used an exchange plan to grocery shop. My food plan requires 3 to 4 fruit exchanges per day. I know that bananas count as two fruit exchanges. Hubby usually only eats 1 - 2 servings of fruit per day. I usually eat my full 4 servings. That means I need to buy 28 pieces of fruit for me and 7 to 10 pieces for hubby. For most fruits, that means 28 small pieces of fruit or 14 large pieces.

If the budget is very tight, I might buy all my exchanges from bananas. Bananas ripen (and spoil) quickly on the counter, but as soon as they get to my ripeness preference, I put them in the fridge, which slows the ripening and extends the shelf-life (but the skin gets black, but the inside doesn't get mushy at least not within the week I keep them).

I do that for all the "exchange" groups. I know how many exchanges of each type I need for the week, and I can estimate fairly well what my husband will eat. So I look through the grocery store flyers and make a list based on which foods are the cheapest. I buy the cheapest I can find in each exchange category.

We do also buy in bulk when we can (thanks to a chest freezer we were able to purchase one year with family Christmas gift money). We eat TONS of dark meat chicken, pork, and ground beef because those meats go on sale frequently. We take advantage of sales when we can. Just as an example, corned beef was on sale after St. Patrick's Day. The price was great, but since corned beef sometimes isn't very good, we only bought one large roast. Hubby made it the other day in the crockpot, and it was so good we wished we had picked up more. But corned beef, even a good one isn't the healthiest meat, because of the salt and sometimes nitrates.

We "extend" ground beef with tvp, textured vegetable (soy) protein, also called tsp. We can find it at Walmart for about $5 per pound, but in Bloomington, IL it sells in health food stores for under $3 per pound and under $2.50 per pound if you buy it in a 20 lb bag. When we visit my family there, we buy several pounds and when they visit us, the bring us several pounds. We have never bought it in the 20 lb bag (though I've been tempted).

We buy the variety that looks like GrapeNuts cereal (or beige aquarium gravel). Hubby doesn't like it plain (you add hot water to reconstitute it). I don't mind it. However hubby does like it in ground beef, so I brown it with ground beef and seasoning veggies (onions, celery...) and then freeze it in large ziploc bags. This way, I can turn very cheap, fatty ground beef into a low-fat ground beef mixture. As it freezes, every 20 minutes or so, I shake, moosh the bag so the tvp/beef mixture freezes in "crumbles" that I can scoop out as needed to make chili, sloppy joes, soups, spaghetti sauce, omelette filling, hamburger-helper style rice and pasta skillet casseroles...

I found super cheap "ground beef recipe" cookbooks on amazon and at garage sales (even with shipping I paid less than $5 per book), and I use the tvp/beef mixture anywhere a recipe calls for browned ground beef.

A book that really helped me tremendously was "The Complete Tightwad Gazette" which I also either bought at a thrift shop, garage sale, or amazon.com used for less than $5 (because $5 is the absolute limit I will pay for a used book in most cases).

I also bought the book "Dumpster Diving" for my dad as a Father's Day gift (I spent less than $10 for it too and had it sent directly to him). It was a bit of a gag gift because my dad is known for bringing "curb treasures" home and fixing them up and then giving them as gifts. The next time we visited, I read it while we were there (I'm a fast reader). I don't really dumpster dive myself, but the book was very interesting and fun to read.

However, it got me onto the hobby of saving money, and I borrowed just about every book the library had on frugal living and saving money, and now we NEVER buy anything (except socks, underwear, and shoes) new that we can find used, and we can find used most of the time, and often used is better. We can't afford "good" furniture, but good furniture is sold very cheaply (and even often given away) in thrift stores and at garage sales and on freecycle (check yahoo and probably facebook for freecycle groups in your area).

Freecycle is awesome. People post when they have stuff to give away and you can also post what you're looking for. You'll even see furniture and computers being given away (and once we even saw a mobile home given away). In the summer, people list extra garden produce they have to give away (we live in a relatively small community, so this is safer than it would be in some).

Craig's list also has similar postings.

I'd highly recommend the Tightwad Gazette and similar books though. A lot of the tips are extreme enough that you'll think "absolutely no way, would I do that," but you ignore the crazier stuff and just use the tips that work for you.

It was from the Tightwad Gazette that I found the idea to mix ground beef and tvp, though I tweaked the recipe. I also make several versions. For example, I love the flavor of Chorizo (and Aldi and a local mexican market both sell very inexpensive chorizo - the mexican market being a tad more expensive but a lot higher quality), but cheap Chorizo tends to be extremely fatty. Problem solved though by browing the Chorizo with tvp (which has virtually no fat at all). And since the flavor of chorizo is so strong, you can use more tvp than chorizo. I brown the chorizo with the dry tvp, and let the tvp soak up the meat juices and fat (I'm going to use so much tvp that I don't really have to drain the fat unless I want to - I usually don't). Then when the meat is nearly cooked through, I'll add the water you need equal parts liquid (water or broth usually) to reconstitute the tvp. So if you use a cup of tvp (equivalent to about a pound of ground beef) you have to use bout a cup of liquid to reconstitute the tvp. With some chorizo, I can add 2 cups of tvp to one pound of sausage (making the equivalent of three pounds of chorizo for only about $4).

We'll make tacos or stir it into rice and beans.

We shop Aldi, Walmart, (and now Target) a lot. We've slowly learned which stores are cheapest for which foods. We stop at Kwik Trip for bananas, fruit, butter, and milk - because they're the cheapest in town for that.

When we can only shop one store, it's usually Aldi or Walmart, but usually we shop several places including an Asian grocery (because bulk rice and rice noodles are cheapest there and we can buy gourmet soy sauce by the quart for the price of the cheapest soy sauce in the grocery store). I like asian veggies and herbs like eggplant, cilantro, green onion, cabbages, and green onion -in our area these all tend to be cheaper and/or better quality in the asian groceries than in the standard grocery stores.

We also shop dollar stores and salvage grocery stores (sort of like Big Lots - they buy out and resell other stores' bankruptcy and overstock). The salvage stores sell only shelf-stable stuff, and while there are some good bargains to be found, there's also a lot of cheap junk food. However, we buy cereal and oatmeal dirt cheap and find all sorts of surprises. Last week, we found a large gallon of peanut oil for only $2, which will last us a very long time.

This is also a tip I learned from The Tightwad Gazette.

There are also great online websites (just type frugal living, living on a budget, eating cheap, saving on groceries and other similar phrases into google and you'll find tons of them).

One thing I don't usually do is use coupons, because I rarely find a coupon for a product we use (since most coupons are on prepackaged junk foods), however when I do find coupons I want to use, I go to our closest grocery on Wednesday or Saturday because the store does double coupons on those days. When I do have a coupon, it often pays to buy the smallest box, but I compare the prices to be sure (I always take a calculator and a small notepad to the grocery store).

I know I've practically written a book, but there's tons more info from other 3FC members on the Shoestring Meals forum. Eating healthy cheaply does require more work and time, but it gets easier and easier as you do it (and a crockpot helps a lot. You can often find crockpots - often still in the original box, never used, at thrift stores like Goodwill).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

Canned beans are pretty cheap and I find you can stretch out a can for 2 meals when you add them to ground meats or rice to stretch those things out.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Watch ads, I don't subscribe to the newspaper but I get ads in the mail every week. I can compare between several stores what the best buys are. When I am shopping at the store I keep my eyes open for things that are on sale that may not have been advertised. Fruits and vegetables that are in season are cheaper. Do you have any Farmers Markets in your area ? You can often find good buys there.

Last edited by bargoo; 04-20-2012 at 10:17 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/168/140

Height: 5'3

I actually read about Bountiful Baskets on this forum, and I'm so thankful I did! It's a really cheap, awesome way to end up with a ton of veggies and fruits every week, and my local one also sometimes does bread and other things as well.
COchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #11  

Dinners: Frozen veg and fresh fish (or turkey or anything) stir fry with noodles

Potatoes mashed with a little low fat milk, finely chopped red
onions and steamed cabbage/ parsley/ kale with grilled or steamed
chicken or fish.

The portions of course determine the calories on these meals but they both taste great and I usually feel full after eating 350kcal of either. The stir fry is insanely quick to make, 10 minutes really. You can vary the ingredients to take advantage of cheap veg on offer.

Breakfast: Porridge oats and stewed fruit. This will taste of the fruit I
promise and is delicious and ridiculously cheap and healthy! It
also keeps me full for ages. It is one of the best meals I've come
across.

Make the stewed fruit in advance in one go. I find cooking apples stewed in cinnamon and honey are cheap and wonderful by themselves. My favourite is to add blueberries though. Simmer the apples in a small amount of water until they're soft. Add any other fruit then or just the cinnamon/ any spice and honey. When the porridge is cooked add the stewed fruit so that the breakfast is half fruit. Add a little sugar if it's still tart.
Intotouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianwoman View Post
Canned beans are pretty cheap and I find you can stretch out a can for 2 meals when you add them to ground meats or rice to stretch those things out.
Dried beans are about half the cost of canned beans - even more at my stores! Here is a great link on how to start using dried beans instead of canned beans.

That entire website is awesome and gives pricing for saving money on a lot of meals. Nutritional information is usually pretty easy to figure out too.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #13  

fruits
veggies
beans
potatoes
whole grain rice
whole grain pasta

As far as the fruits & veggies go, you can buy frozen or fresh, whichever is cheaper and/or whichever you prefer. When it comes to beans, dry are much cheaper than canned.

Also, if buying from bulk bins (instead of packages on a shelf) is an option, do go that route. It's cheaper and you can buy just what you need at a time, so there is no waste.
missphalange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

We had black bean soup, bread, and carrot sticks last night. Canned or dried, black beans are fairly cheap and full of nutrients. It was a low cal, healthy meal, adjusted upwards in calories with (fresh, homemade) bread and butter for those who need the extra calories. Sometimes I make the kids and dh grilled cheese sandwiches to dip in the soup.

Tonight we're having soft tacos with pinto beans (cooked from dried and then frozen into meal sized servings), homemade whole wheat tortillas, lettuce, salsa, etc. Plus more carrot sticks. Dh and the kids load theirs up with cheese and sour cream and I skip them or go super light.

Both are fairly cheap and healthy meals. Buy carrots in 5lb bags and cut your own carrot sticks. They're far cheaper than baby carrots that way and carrots have a lot of nutrients for your money.

I also love soups made with red lentils. Cheap and no soaking required.

Oatmeal is a cheap breakfast, and eggs can be cheaper than cereal, depending on prices where you live. Add juice or a serving of fruit and you've got a decently balanced breakfast.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #15  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Dried beans are about half the cost of canned beans - even more at my stores! Here is a great link on how to start using dried beans instead of canned beans.

That entire website is awesome and gives pricing for saving money on a lot of meals. Nutritional information is usually pretty easy to figure out too.
Thanks for the link.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote