Old 08-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #16  
made my dad a promise

S/C/G: 302/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

When I was traveling this summer and couldn't find Fage (my fave!), I was able to find the Athenos brand which also has the fruit or honey on the side - and was only available in a fat free version. Not sure if it was cheaper than Fage, but it wasn't a bad subsitute.
ilbnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
I've had both 0% and 2% Fage and find little difference so I'd rather keep the calorie count low and the protein count high. The only Greek yogurt I like is Fage, which I actually enjoy plain (i.e., no sweetener). Does anyone else have a favorite? Fage is pretty darn expensive, although I saw a poster was able to buy it at Costco so I'll be checking for it the next time I'm there.

ETA: I see that the post above mine had a similar experience. And thanks for posting a couple other brands I could learn to like, especially if they're cheaper.
After trying many brands, I was strictly a Fage brand Greek yogurt eater. I buy it at Costco also. Then I tried Chobani Lemon, ooooohhhhh my it is so good, like lemon cheesecake, minus the crust. Hmmmm, now that I say that, maybe I will add a graham cracker half next time. LOL Chobani is often on sale, so that is a plus. (140 calories, 0 fat)
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the support guys!
I really didn't mean to pull out a pitchfork. Sorry if you felt that way, Panacea.

Last edited by tdiprincess; 08-29-2011 at 04:34 PM.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #19  

Pitchforks aside, I really appreciate all your different responses and variations on the subject. I eat 1600 calories per day and I was initially wondering if eating the full fat greek yogurt would be worth it whenever I felt like having one. I will stick with fat-free much of the time but sometimes a gal just wants to change things up occasionally with one's diet.

Thanks again everyone. You have all been helpful.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #20  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
I like the full fat Fage. It tastes like dessert! I find it satisfies me much better than any other yogurt. If full fat isnt available, then I'll eat the 2%.
I've never seen it? I get the 2% because it's all I've seen.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #21  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

canadianwoman - I am satisfied with the low or non-fat Greek style yogurts, the Chobani or Fage are so yummy.

This might be something that all of you already know but it's new to me - I bought a 32 oz. container of our store's own brand of non-fat plain yogurt (Hannaford's own brand, about $2.79 I think). I took a mesh strainer, lined it with a few paper coffee filters, placed that over a stainless steel bowl, and dumped the yogurt into it. Put it in the refridg. over night...and in the morning, found that over 8 ounces of liquid had drained out, leaving a lovely thick blob of greek-style yogurt!!

However...when I put the yogurt back into the original 32 ounce container, I saw that visually it looked about only half full. So...I guess I would have to compare prices per ounce at the store, to see if it really is a bargain to 'make' your own. Because my serving size would be 1 cup, and I would get 4 one cup servings from the non-drained yogurt, but I can see that I will get about half that yield now.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

vermontmom- I have heard of doing that and understand that is really all Greek style yogurt is. It's actually a very middle-eastern Mediterranean thing to do. There is a middle-eastern dessert that is thickened regular yogurt mixed with a little sugar and then cardamom. DELICIOUS! But, it basically becomes "greek yogurt"... greek yogurt is really just condensed yogurt..
Anyway, I have yet to do this myself for the reason you found. I generally end up buying about 4 thick greek yogurts a week and then a big container of plain regular yogurt. And then I pick and choose throughout the week.
Also, greek yogurt is great for thickening things up in place of sour cream. With lots more protein!!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote