Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #1  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Default Hmmm...calorie counting really DOES work...

I weigh in every day, but count my official weigh-in on Fridays. I was excited this morning to see that I have officially lost my first 10 pounds since January 3rd when I started counting calories. I lost 80 pounds without counting calories and just eating better and moving more, but then I maintained for about a year between 195-202. I didn't want to do any diets or anything dramatic to lose my last 30-40 pounds, so I decided to try calorie counting. I tried it before, a long time ago, and it never stuck ~ I'm not sure why it stuck this time, but maybe the time was just right.

I enjoy calorie counting and keeping track of everything I eat. It has made me so much more aware of what I am putting in my body, and I am eating foods that I know will fill me up since I have a certain amount of calories that I am trying to stick within daily. I am savoring foods when I eat them now, instead of gorging on them as fast as I possibly can ~ you see, I am also a binge eater, and calorie counting has completely nixed that for me. I am day 52 of being binge-free...something I never really thought I would see.

I have learned to work through my emotions when I am going through something instead of stuffing my face (even though it is really hard sometimes), and I am learning to love myself more because I deserve to be healthy, and I deserve to look the way I want to look. Calorie counting has taught me to be patient and take things one day at a time. I never knew I could love something so much!!

Last edited by Emme; 02-23-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/SeeTicker/135

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations!

I have always believed that only low carb diets would work but I have anxiety and being on a very restrictive diet that forbid me eating bananas, I would "break out" and binge. I am a very emotional eater/over-eater and being able to count what I eat helps me even when I do my "400 calorie binges". It helps me stop.
Kateryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 272 / 172.5 / 150

Height: 5'-9"

Congratulations! Sounds like things have been working really well for you. Keep up the awesome work!
manders01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

I agree with what you have said. I never liked calorie counting but when I do I lose weight. I too didn't like logging my food but there are several really good online tools for you to log on that does eventually make it a lot easier and to do. Livestrong.com is one that comes to mind. (it used to be Daily Plate but now has most of the old tools along with some new ones)

I find that the more I am open to hearing other's ideas and sometimes incorporating them into my own plan(s), the results are even better. Recently, I was told drinking water would help curb my appetite. I didn't believe it until I began doing so. So, if we can take our blinders off and open my mind (and close our mouths), we stand to learn something. I know I did!

Last edited by pamatga; 02-23-2011 at 11:18 AM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

That's what I tell people when they ask what I'm doing - I say calorie counting, who knew that worked?? haha Glad you're having such success, I love calorie counting, works great for me too!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

The best thing about calorie counting is its flexibility and of course being free helps, too.

Last edited by bargoo; 02-23-2011 at 11:35 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #7  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Emme: first, congratulations on all the weight you have lost thus far! It is such a huge accomplishment.

Second, I'm amazed that you were able to lose 80 pounds by "eating better and moving more"! That takes a very serious committment. I think if I had tried to do the same, I'd have found a million and one ways to make myself think I was eating better and moving more... while in fact changing very little. And then I'd complain that I kept gaining weight. I think that is why calorie counting, and posting my daily calories and exercise, has worked so well for me thus far. When I have to be accountable - to this board, to my daily food log, whatever - I see exactly where, how, why I go wrong, and I can make changes and better choices. How I eat today is 180 degrees from my old habits, and I am very proud of that.

I'm really glad the calorie counting is working well for you in so many respects. I wish you much success in reaching your goal.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #8  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Thank you so much for your kind words, everyone! I'm so happy that I can give a "shout-out" to calorie counting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post

Second, I'm amazed that you were able to lose 80 pounds by "eating better and moving more"! That takes a very serious committment. )
It took me about 4 years to lose the 80 pounds, but it worked because I did everything verrrrry slowly...phased in water, phased out pop, phased in veggies, phased out white breads, etc...it took a lot, but I think doing it very slowly is what helped me.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180.2/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Emme Grats. The main think is you kept at it. And look how close you are to your goal.

Keep it up
surfnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #10  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

I love it...it is something that I can do for the rest of my life. For once, I feel like I am in control of my weight and my eating habits.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #11  
God's Child

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'1

Emme, I think the weight you've lost so far is amazing!!
Calorie counting has turned out to be a life saver for me.
It has helped me to stay away from the bad things and has
taught me how to still incorporate the things I still love.
LoveLeeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

I am calorie counting this time, too. I am also trying to eat protein every time I eat a carb, and I am drinking water.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Calorie counting is definitely great but I've learned for me if my carbs are too high I stall- I have to get below 100 grams a day to continue to see a downward trend
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #14  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

Hi Emme, my "weight loss twin"

It's so cool when you find something that really works, isn't it? Congrats on all your hard work so far!

Like others have said, the flexibility of calorie counting works really well for me. While I'm definitely eating better (in every respect...portions, choices, etc.) than I used to, I don't have to completely "give up" anything. Give me a diet with a list of "forbidden" foods, and guess what my inner child will demand?!

I also think the electronic tools (websites, phone apps) make calorie counting so much easier than the "old days" where you had to have a pad/pencil and a calorie count book everywhere you went. And restaurant meals were a complete guessing game! (Some restaruants still are...but more and more are making their nutritional info available, so it's much easier than it was 10 or 20 years ago.)

Again, congrats on your success and best of luck for the rest of your journey!
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #15  
A chick on a mission!

S/C/G: 229/ticker/145

Height: 5'4.5

I too, love to count calories. I'm aiming for 1200 a day, and most days are very close to that. Some days I'm really hungry and go a bit higher. For weight loss how many calories are you shooting for?
Ladybird1990 is offline   Reply With Quote