Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #1  
Transforming through God

Default Anyone eat the bulk of their calories in the evening?

I do, and let me tell you, it is working for me! I don't feel deprived at all, or like I am on a "diet." I have been a "night-eater" for as long as I can remember -- and now that I am serious about counting calories, I typically eat very light throughout the day leaving the bulk of my calories for dinner/evening. I shared in another thread that I begin my day with a deficit of 150-170 to allow for my single-sized Edy's that my amazing hubby lovingly picks up for me (at my request, because I don't trust myself at this point to have more in the house ).

I tend to only eat about 700 calories until evening (300 breakfast, 300 lunch, small snack 100). I eat a whole foods', organic when we can afford it, 'clean' diet so I feel pretty satisfied throughout the day.

There is something about having the bulk of my calories in the evening that makes me feel like I am not restricting at all (though I do count every bite and eat around 1600-1700 a day)

Anyone else do this?

Last edited by MyBestYear; 03-08-2010 at 08:56 PM.
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I definitely feel the need to eat a lot more at night than in the day. It is the time I'm most likely to binge so I try to leave some calories for it. At this weight, I have dropped my calories to about 1200-1400 a day. For instance, today, I have eaten about 800 calories, so I still have about 500 left or so. It doesn't feel like I have a ton of food at night, but I'd like to...does that count? I most definitely eat very little in the morning and as the day progresses, it increases.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8

Yes! I totally understand what you mean.

Also, I'm in college and I'm very, very, very involved in extracurriculars in addition to my classes and my job, so on a typical day, I get back from my meetings at half past midnight. And I know, from experience, that after a long 9am-12:30am day, I like to come home and have a snack. So like you, I've been careful to portion out my calories smartly during the day.
Miss Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #4  
Transforming through God

I have met SO many 'night eaters' (even people of healthy sizes) that I wonder if some component isn't biological - definitely not giving anyone a green light to binge just sayin' maybe it isn't all in our heads, the desire to snack in the evening.

I believe calorie in/calorie out so it doesn't really matter *when* I am eating something so long as it is within my planned range of calories.

It also helps when people typically want to go out (to dinner), I have more wiggle room.
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I save the bulk of my calories for dinner...I eat dinner with my family every night and I dont want to be a hassle and have to eat something different... but in general I'm not very hungry in the morning and if I'm busy I dont feel hungry at all
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:08 AM   #6  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I definitely bank my calories for the late afternoon/evening. I really am just not terribly hungry early in the day, so I keep it very light until mid-afternoon, when I start up with eating the bulk of my day's calories.

I think it goes to show how different we all are; practically every piece of dieting advice I've ever seen on the subject is pretty insistent that you should start with a good breakfast, but eating more than a small amount of my calorie budget early in the day makes it much more difficult for me to stay on plan.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I am the same way. Not hungry too much during the day and starving at night. So I eat most of my calories after four and I am losing weight.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Ditto here! I wouldn't be able to handle making my family something different for dinner so I just plan for a healthy dinner for everyone and eat pretty much half of my calories then. I'm staying between 1200-1400 and eating around 600-700 during the day and the rest for dinner/snack.
Sugar Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Same here...my family has always been a "dinner" family. During the day I'd eat (I thought) very little, then have a big meal. Looking back now I realized I ate more during the day than I thought...that's why I got up to more than 220 pounds.

But even now I prefer to eat a larger dinner. I HATE the feeling of going to bed hungry and waking up even more hungry...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #10  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I could "not eat" until dinner if given the opportunity. I just forget to eat. But that's how I gained so much weight--I would starve myself until I got home and then binge until 2am. Forget single serving Edys...I'd have a big 2500 calorie dinner and then polish off a 1200 calorie Ben & Jerry's...maybe have a bag of popcorn too. So every week I probably gained a pound...

mmm good times.

blech.

I still can't stand to eat breakfast. But I try to eat before 1pm, that's my rule--if I don't eat before 2pm I have to go out and get something RIGHT NOW.
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #11  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

That is exactly what we do too. And I have lost 25lbs and hubby lost 30 in a little over 6 weeks.
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Sherry View Post
Ditto here! I wouldn't be able to handle making my family something different for dinner so I just plan for a healthy dinner for everyone and eat pretty much half of my calories then. I'm staying between 1200-1400 and eating around 600-700 during the day and the rest for dinner/snack.
I was going to post, but Sugar Sherry did it for me! This is exactly me - I'm fine with healthy choice meals, salads, or soups at lunch - but I need to eat after work!! I save calories for both dinner and snacking :-)
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #13  
aka christina :)

S/C/G: 142/118/116

Height: 5'5

i'm definitely a night eater. i'll have 200 cals for breakfast, around 500 for lunch .. & the rest in the evening! i'm still not quite sure how many calories i need a day. i'm using free dieting, so we'll see!
diornotwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

It wasn't too long ago that I read a maintainer at 3FC state that she saved her calories for the end of the day. I thought, OMG, that works for her! That works!

Since then, I am doing the very same thing. I do eat breakfast, but a light breakfast. A light lunch works for me too. The bulk of my calories are eaten in the evening. I'm still eating healthy and I'm losing weight.

This works for me. I am so relieved to hear that I'm not the only one with this eating pattern. One less thing I have to change.....sigh, that's nice! Makes everything else I do so much more manageable!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 182/135.4/132

Height: 5' 4.5

I save the majority of my calories for evening so I can eat dinner with the family. It has really worked for me. I actually struggle more on days when I somehow end up eating a lot of my calories during the day, and have to have a really light dinner. Temptation to snack at night is a real problem on those nights. I do much better eating light through the day and having a good meal in the evening. Guess it just fits my natural way of eating better?
lovingsam is offline   Reply With Quote