Old 10-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

Default Hopping on over here ;)

Hello everyone my name is Heather. I am 27 years old and have a 2 1/2 year old son and an 8 month old daughter. I weigh 265 lbs currently (down from about 274) and was doing south beach diet until just last night. Finally I decided I have way too much weight to lose to do something that restricts so many things for such a long time. What I do today I need to feel that I can be doing tomorrow, and a month from now, and a year from and ten years from now because weight is something I'm always going to have to keep on top of. I have PCOS and hypothyroid (on synthroid for thyroid so that is being treated), which is why south beach stood out to me. Carbs are NOT my friend. That said, I just think I need to make better decisions about the quantities and quality of the carbs I consume.
I've been counting calories the whole time I was doing south beach anyway, over at sparkpeople and have been doing really well at it. So I just decided that I'm "skipping" to phase 3 type foods of south beach and counting calories...so here I am.
My doctor wants me at 1200 calories, but I have 2 small children, a house and a part time job taking care of 11 18-20 month olds two days a week (I work at a mothers day out program on mondays and fridays)....1200 cals a day simply doesn't give me the energy to function let alone EXERCISE!!!!
So I have done all the calorie counters on the planet and am getting anywhere from 1800-2200 calories for weight loss. Seems a bit high, but that's probably because lately I've barely been getting 1300. Yesterday I got 1600 and bam, down 2 lbs this morning. So an increase in calories is probably a good idea. I just don't see me losing at 2000 calories a day though...
Anyway, any advice, success stories, kick in the pants, whatever you have for me...send it this way! I need it all
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #2  

And this is my "before"

it's the most full body shot I own (that's my gorgeous son right there with me)

I hope to replace that with a much smaller after very soon.

and just to be fair since I posted a pic of my boy...

here's my gorgeous girl (a bit messy faced after dinner!) and my gorgeous husband.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #3  

Congrats on your weight loss... and you seem to have the right attitude to make this a success..

Only a thing or two has really helped me.... Try to eat every 3 hrs.. I have sever hypothyroidsm and am very carb sensitive as well.. I find if I eat regularly through out the day.. I don't get overly hungry and I am in much better control and generally feel better. Also.. I dont' know if this is just related to thyroid issues or just being overweight but my need for protein is much higher than the average person.. So all my meals and snacks have to have some level of protein. I watch protein content every bit as much as I do calories.. I have even added a protein supplement to my morning oatmeal or coffee to get in enough without all the additional calories.
I do consume normal amount of carbs and fats so by no means am I on a low carb diet... just watch that a protein is always addressed in my food and my energy levels stay even all day..

Good luck and sounds like you are on the right track.
crenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #4  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Hi Heather- I am new here too! I am currently 257 and officially starting today. I have come to this forum before, but I am serious now and plan on checking in daily for inspiration and encouragement. Here's to hoping we both make it!

Oh and I use fitday dot com to track. It is free for just basic tracking.

Last edited by TXMary2; 10-14-2009 at 09:51 AM.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

Heather,
I'd say poke around the daily plate or other calorie counting sites (many, such as the daily plate are free) and see what they tell you to eat. 1200 is way to low for me, but everyone is different. The sites will tell you how many you need to eat. I use Calorieking (which isn't free - BOO!) and thier calculations have always been on target for me the other time sI've lost weight using it. Goodluck,
Mar
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 193/See ticker/148

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Heather and Mary! There are a lot of success stories here that give me inspiration and I am sure they will do the same for you.

Heather, I do think that 1200 is too low for someone of your age and weight. It is not a realistic figure to stick to for the long run. On the other hand, 1800-2000 seems too high. You might lose now but you would have to take it down a few hundred calories later. To me, it makes much more sense to choose a middle number that that will produce weight loss now but that will continue to yield results over time.

I aim for 1200--1400 calories but I am in my fifties and not very physically active. You are much younger, and I am sure that your beautiful children keep you busy, so I would think that your 1600 calorie goal is probably a good number. After two or three weeks, you can revise if you are not happy.
emileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm not sure what you mean about restrictive- if you feel too restricted on SBD you probably aren't doing it well (no offense). Other than the first two weeks after that besides carbs there is a LOT you can add back. If you are on phase 1 just move to phase 2. I was stubborn and tried to stay on phase 1 and my body refused to give after a while, so I went on to phase 2 and started eating more variety and the weight is still coming down slowly but surely.

I have PCOS as well and my doctor really stressed I stick to south beach- really most of us PCOS'ers have to eat like this for LIFE. I find that it's gotten easier over time- I also look at a LOT of SBD recipes and try all sorts of new combos.

How long have you been doing SBD?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #8  

Honestly I probably wasn't doing south beach well, because I was miserable. I'm really ready to start something new anyhow, but I am glad that south beach is working out for you beerab!

Mary good luck to you too!
Thanks everyone I'm going to look around. I'm currently counting on sparkpeople. I was counting on daily plate but often found that thier calories seemed to be a bit off? I don't know, I might try again though. I did enjoy the daily plate.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #9  
Soul Cyster

Good luck! Everyone is different- but I think your doctor is insane btw to tell you to eat 1200 calories a day! If I were you I wouldn't go under 1800 a day.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck. I think calorie counting is the way to go as you can continue on in maintenance to keep your loss. 2000 calories sounds like a lot.It sometimes take a little esperimenting to find the right amount. I think I would start at about 1500-1600.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #11  

I thought he was a bit insane to suggest 1200 calories a day as well! I'm nervous when I go back in a few weeks (he wanted to see me again in a month to do more bloodwork and make sure things are improving), that my weight loss...whatever it might be...will not be sufficient for him.
I do like him though, so we'll see.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #12  
Soul Cyster

Oh well let it not be sufficient- when I saw my doctor after not having seen her for 6 months, I was just over 20 lbs lighter- she wanted more but I was like well I did my best and am happy with my results- even if I were 5 lbs lighter I'd STILL be happy- a loss is a loss and it's better than coming back with a gain- she agreed and told me overall she's very happy with my results and I'm going to see her again in a few months- I hope to really wow her next time around