Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #1  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default what is hummus?

SO I've seen it before and I've heard of it before But.. I've never tasted it and I have no clue what it's made out of... so what does it taste like and what is it made with? I hear a lot of people talking about it on here... to me when I saw it it looked like french onion dip or something.

Does it tastes salty, or cheesey like? or like sour cream? I don't get it..LOL
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hummus tastes like...hummus. It's a sort of distinctive taste!

It's ground up garbanzo beans (chickpeas) with garlic, lemon, olive oil, and tahini, which is a sesame seed paste. I'm eating some right now that has some additions...roasted red pepper, cumin, and cayenne pepper! Yummo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 249.4/ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

chickpeas!

oh the tastes depends on what kind. I buy the Athenos Roasted Garlic. I find it my local grocery's deli section. I spread it on my turkey lunch meat & tomato sandwhiches! It adds lots of flavor and some fiber!

Last edited by Platinum; 01-29-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: thought not finished...lol
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #4  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

It is basically chickpeas ground up. I personally can't stand the plain ones. But when it is mixed with say, sun-dried tomatoes and herbs, and then you use pitas to dip it with, it is delish! It does take some getting used to at first, so don't be afraid to experiment with it.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Hummus is really good, chick peas mixed with different ingredients usually tahini (seseame seed paste) lemon juice, olive oil, and ground smooth in the food processor or blender. Makes a great dip for vegtables. You can get some good prepared at the grocery or the deli, or make it at home. Google hummus recipes and you will find a ton of them.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #6  

hmmm.... I'll hafta try it.. is it bitter? or anything like horse radish? I'm just trying to envision what it would taste like..LOL.. I've eaten chick pea's before in Mexican soup called pozole.. what the chick peas tasted like that flavor of the broth.. So In my mind I'm trying to compare it to something..LOL
Old 01-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

It's not bitter, um kind of nutty flavor. I like mine with alot of garlic.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

chickpeas in pozole seems interesting but pozole generally contains hominy which can kind of look like chickpeas I guess?

I like my hummus garlicky as well. I love really good hummus.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #9  

yeah My mother in law is from mexico she puts chick peas and hominy in pozole...

here is her recipe

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium onions -- chopped
6 cloves garlic -- peeled and lightly crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seed -- toasted and ground
1 teaspoon oregano -- toasted
2 tablespoons Ancho chili powder
2 morita chipotle chilis -- stems removed
salt
pepper -- freshly ground
4 pounds pork shoulder or butt
8 quarts water

2 carrots -- peeled and sliced
1 can chick peas -- rinsed, skins removed
1 large can hominy -- rinsed and drained
2 andouille sausages -- sliced
4 Roma tomatoes -- diced
2 ears sweet corn -- kernels cut off cob

green onions -- chopped
cilantro -- chopped
chiles, fresh or dried
hot sauce
lime wedges
radish slices

it's really good
Old 01-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Ahh interesting. My family doesn't seem to care for pozole much, they are more of a menudo family. Or maybe they just don't like soup much as I knew about pozole but they never made it when I was growing up. I might have to try that recipe (minus the meat) though because it looks good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #11  

it's devine! the best pozole by far I've ever had! an i've been to a lot of little mexican restaurants and even my dad makes it some times but his is not as good...
Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 PM   #12  

Wow!! I can tell we are not neighbors because here in my neighborhood there are literally 9 places I can walk to for hummos. Lebanese, Israeli, Armenian, you name it!

I love love love it, especially the Sabra brand, the variety called "supremely spicy" which has a super-hot pepper relish on top of the hummus.

I've learned to portion it out better. It's like, peanut butter type portions, a couple of tablespoons with some sliced veggies. Or, I use it as a sandwich spread with shredded veggies and lettuce.

What I don't do anymore is park myself on the couch with pita bread and a giant container of hummos from the Armenian deli and mindlessly eat it when you watch TV. Guess what happens when you do that! MY *** happens, LOL.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:50 AM   #13  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

jalapeno hummus!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

you can think of it is as a sort of mild bean paste/dip, since chickpeas are sort of like beans. but again, i would try different varieties and brands until you find what you like best.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I actually posted this in another area but maybe i should have posted my question here since it's kind of a calorie question...but also a fat grams type question...

Question about Hummus....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay...so last night i'm at walmart with the bf picking up some foods for his lunch this week...and it is taking a loooooonnnngggg time...so i'm getting hungry. And he's getting all these deli meats...so i start looking around and find some Hummus. It's Roasted Red Pepper Hummas with pretzel chips. I don't look at the calories or anything because i remember everyone on here talking about having hummus for breakfast and snacks and stuff and i figure i'm going to splurge on myself and buy this single serving container. Well...i get out to the car and proceed to break it open and i look at the calories and such. One container (3.5 ounces) has 230 cal. (180 cals. from fat) 21 grams of fat, and only 4 grams protein. WTH???? Well...i'm eating it because i spent almost $2 on it and i'm hungry. And it was good...but i'm just curious... when ya'll eat this...do you eat this much of a serving or do you eat less?? I'm sure some of the calories came from the pretzel chips...but still.. seems like a lot of fat.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote