Old 07-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #1  

Default Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD)

I need help and tips on my VLCD.
It would also be awesome if I had someone to talk to about my VLCD.
It's been three days and I've done great but I can't stop thinking about food.
This is extra hard with my husband eating junk food all the time and a baby.
Food is constantly in my face.
It's very strict and probably not for everybody
Here are like to info/rules for what it takes to do a VLCD
VLCD means restricting daily Calorie (kcal) intake to no more than 800 Calories daily, using heavily supplemented special dieting products. This makes it possible to lose 3-5 pounds per week. The rate of weight loss varies from one individual to another. A four-week VLCD diet can result in weight loss of up to 16-20 pounds. VLCDs are designed for patients with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30.

<--linkosuction-->
Pinkstarzmutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 AM   #2  

I was looking for more pages like the one I found and was hoping someone would tell me where I could find more similar ones.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

What VLCD plan are you doing? Medifast? Optifast? Something else?
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #4  
Chrisinct

S/C/G: 224/165/150

Height: 5'4

IMHO, I would not look any further into your VLCD. You will lose the weight more quickly, but you will gain it back more quickly too. You really should eat at least 1200 a day. You also need stamina to take care of a baby. On 800 calories a day, I'd be dragging myself around the house!
chris313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Isn't this the thing Oprah did a million years ago? And then six months later she gained it all back and then some? For some reason I thought this stuff was off the market. Didn't the FDA jump on this?
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #6  

Oprah did the Optifast one, and from what I remember, Optifast has to be done with a doctor's supervision, and is sold at hospitals, etc.

Medifast, however, can be purchased online...and I think it is at the higher end of the VLCD spectrum...I *think* the supplements, plus the one "lean and green" allowed meal, ad up to around 800-1000 a day.

There are other VLCD programs as well.

Because there are so many VLCD programs, this is why I asked what the poster was following...we have some Medifast threads here at 3FC, but I am not sure what plan the OP is using.

Last edited by aphil; 07-02-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #7  
it's always something

The OP originally asked for links to pages with very low calorie foods, not Optifast and Medifast. She listed two links which I removed due to our link policy. I think she's inquiring about following a diet of just low calorie foods, not special fortified supplements designed for VLCD.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #8  

I didn't see that you had originally removed something, Suzanne.

I was wondering about what VLCD plan was being used, because in the definition that was posted about VLCD under the original post, it mentioned the usage of the special supplemented diet products...(usually in shake form, like the Optifast/Medifast products, etc.)
Old 07-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Sorry - I am not a fan of VLCD. I know they say they are for individuals with BMI's greater then 30 but personally that is too low of a threshold.

I started with a BMI of over 40 and have been quite successful following a normal calorie counting diet. Remember that you need a plan that you can stay on for the long run.

Based on my understanding of VLCD - they should be done under doctor supervision only and are typically recommended when the excess weight is worse for the patient's health then the risks of a VLCD.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I was put on my first diet at age 5. I don't know how many calories I was allowed, but I know I was so hungry during it that dirty candy on the floor of the school bus looked good to me.

It was the early 70's and VLCDs were being recommended by physicians, even for children. From age 5 to 20 all of my diets were VLC, and I really feel largely responsible far more to weight gain than weight loss. I had dieted my way to 225 lbs by 8th grade. I lost 75 lbs in high school with a VLCD, but only with the help of stimulant prescription diet pills (I pretty much only ate anything resembling an actual meal only on weekends).

I am very biased against VLCD. They may have a place for some people, but only under close monitoring (no less than once a month) from a physician.

A low carb, low fat diet is particularly dangerous, so I believe "do-it-yourself" VLCD's are a very poor idea, and really should have a dietician's imput as well as medical supervision in my opinion.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-02-2008 at 11:33 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #11  

I used to be in great shape before I got pregnant I'm 5'4 I used to weight 125-127 never gaining or losing weight. Post pregnancy I was 200 right now I'm 185. I've never have had a problem maintain my weight so I choose a VLCD after I talked to my doctor. I was prescribed Phentramine, a muti-vitamin and to eat protein rich foods and veggies.
I've tried shakes before and I gained a little weight instead of losing it I did the whole slimfast program for 2 months. I love to eat I can't do the drink a shake and have a snack. I've have been doing some research on diet product such as fat-free sugar-free and they are food like chemical or additives, which means it's not real food. I saw this on the a news segment in democracynow so I tested it myself. "Whip Cream" ants and bugs don't go near the stuff which mean there is something definitely wrong and the tiny little crawlies know to stay away from it, other animals like my cat and dog will eat it then again they eat everything in sight.

I'm not starving myself either here is what my day looks like

Example
Breakfast
1/2 Oat meal (no sugar or salt)l
150 cal

Snack
Banana

Lunch
Turkey 4oz
Boiled Spinach
1/2 cup
30 cal
Brown Rice
1/2 cup

Dinner
Broccoli Boiled (no salt)
1 cup
54 cal
American cheese
1 slice
94 cal
Old 07-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #12  

I still crave a giant steak with French fries or some Latin food.
I miss Dr.Pepper so much *tear*
Old 07-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #13  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i'd starve on that amount of food.

my SNACK is your breakfast and snack combined....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #14  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Sorry - I am not a fan of VLCD. I know they say they are for individuals with BMI's greater then 30 but personally that is too low of a threshold.
Lori, I'm right there with you. I don't think VLCDs are a good approach at long-term weight loss, and should definitely only be done under strict medical supervision. IMHO, extreme diets are only appropriate when there is imminent danger to one's health that the diet is specifically employed to avert. Otherwise, I don't see how a VLCD can be healthy; you need calories from a wide variety of foods in order to nourish your body. You won't get all you need from such a sparse diet.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #15  
Flabulous

S/C/G: 230/218/160

Height: 5'9"

Broccoli is NOT a dinner. It's a side dish!
LetsWorkItOut is offline   Reply With Quote