Old 09-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #31  

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2loseinGA View Post
Here is an article on line that maybe enough to help you shake the diet soda habit:...
Thank you for that link! My girlfriend drinks diet coke almost exclusively and maybe this will change here mind.
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #32  

Wink Aspartame Debate

I don't post very often, but here goes. My two cents in this discussion is to go to this website:

www.russellblaylockmd.com

This man is a neurosurgeon who wrote a book called "Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills". It's QUITE an eye-opener. I have been drinking Diet Coke for 20 years and never thought much about quitting seriously, until I read this book. I also realized that my headaches and brain fog plus breast pain were caused by the aspartame. Read the book or at least go to his website and form your own conclusion.

Pat
M&MQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:34 PM   #33  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I would also advise people to do their research and come to their own conclusions regarding any health advice they receive. If it sounds too good (or too scary) to be true, there's a good chance it isn't true. Always check a source's credentials, and don't take the word of any one "expert," no matter their credentials. When considering the claims of an individual or group, you should consider whether the advice is coming from someone profiting from the advice they are giving (are they selling a product, or a book). It doesn't mean that the advice is bad or the information incorect, but it definitely is a red flag to suggest that further opinions should be sought.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #34  

i think you should try to replace your diet soda with water..but if you have one a day it might help your craving for carbonation..or if you want to cut it out completely, i would drink some flavored seltzer water, because i know its hard when you want something other than water....vitamin water has been awesome too..they have some good flavors there are calories in them but nothing to crazy
glamgurl36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 236/209/160

Height: 5'4"

My mum is a diet coke addict, and now that she's doing WW at home with me I've convinced her to switch to water at least during the day. She's fallen in love with one of the Crystal Light flavours and chugs down a lot of water every day.
Starlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 205/195.5/130

Height: 5'3" - On a tall day.

While I am not religious person, I decided Lent would be a good time to give up Diet Pepsi. I was drinking three or four a day, and I had been reading a lot of information about aspartame and how negatively it can affect some people. The headache I encountered lasted several days and I was not sure if it was due to the caffeine shortage (I'm not a coffee/tea drinker) or the lack of aspartame. Since then I drink regular soda and I have gone through periods where I will have several a day on a regular basis. When I cut back to virtually none I have no headache to speak of, yet the caffeine deficit is still the same as with the Diet Pepsi. Therefore, in my situation, I can only believe that my body does not tolerate the aspartame well. As for weight loss, my biggest contributor is alcohol not soda, but I do know when I drink more soda I crave more things like crackers and chips.
10Again is offline   Reply With Quote