Old 08-07-2007, 04:26 AM   #31  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I eat 1300 calories per day. I aim to keep my breakfast under 200 calories, lunch under (or just over) 300 calories, and dinner under 450 calories (and I really aim for closer to 350 calories). The rest of my calories go towards snacks.

For breakfast I eat 1 cup of non-fat yogurt with 1/2 cup Fiber One cereal and 2 oz of raspberries. I eat this every day (I don't need a lot of variety in my breakfast) It is very filling and it comes to about 190 calories. I also don't have my coffee with breakfast; I save it for a mid-morning. This gets me through to lunch without needing a snack.

If I need lunch to be low calorie, I eat a tuna or salmon fillet from a pouch (sometimes topped with 1 tbsp of salsa or chutney) and 50 to 100 calories of a vegetable side. This comes to about 250 calories. If I have a little more calories to spend on lunch, I eat a sandwich (but my even my sandwiches are only around 300 calories), a salad that includes meat, or another dish that I've prepared in advance. Sometimes I eat chicken breast with a variety of sauces on them, maybe even over polenta. For my sandwiches, I use a low calorie bread (only 70 calories per slice) and I add either veggies or fruit to them. For example, this week I am eating chicken salad sandwiches made with non-fat yogurt, non-fat cream cheese, artichokes, celery and low fat ham (and chicken, of course). It's a big sandwich--the chicken salad alone (not including the bread and lettuce) comes in at about 5 oz, but the whole thing is still only around 300 calories. Another favorite lunch is 1/4 tube polenta, 3 oz grilled chicken breast, 1/2 cup fat free refried beans, and 2 tbsp salsa. This comes to about 300 calories. I mostly stay away from processed lunch meat because it is a lot of water and not a lot of protein, so it isn't very filling. I use either grilled chicken breast strips, unprocessed turkey breast, tuna, or salmon on my sandwiches. I try to make sure my lunches include 2 to 4 oz of lean protein.

I try to make sure all of my dinners include 3 to 6 oz of lean protein. I also try not let them get too caloric. I don't need the calories by the end of the day; I'm just going to go to bed anyway. I also eat a big salad with dinner almost every night. The salad is around 9-10 oz of lettuce and veggies and comes in at around 50-60 calories, depending on the dressing I use. I use very low calorie dressings (no more than 30 calories per 2 tbsp and I usually only use 1 tbsp per salad). If I don't have a salad, then I have a veggie side. It's pretty rare that I eat baked or kidney beans, however, as those are pretty high-calorie sides. I look for veggie sides that have fewer calories for a lot more volume (for example, carrots, turnips, okra, eggplant, fennel, green beans, or greens). For example, my version of the dinner in your second menu would be 1 link of chicken sausage (120 calories), the lowest calorie hot dog bun I can find (120 calories), grilled onions and pepper (30 calories), mustard (10 calories) and my gigantic salad (60 calories). This would probably be more food than you ate but it comes to about 350 calories, instead of 800 calories.

My snacks throughout the day include non-fat yogurt, oatmeal, sardines, salmon, tuna, lots of fruit, and Fiber One Muffins that I make myself (80 calories per muffin). I eat two afternoon snacks, one is around 100 calories, and the other is around 200 calories. Sometimes I make a big spinach salad with tuna or salmon. I also eat an after dinner snack that usually consists of a 60-calorie pudding cup. My treat allowance (150 calories, including the pudding cup) is half of yours.

I also never drink beverages with calories (except for the occasional glass of wine). That Gatorade you are drinking is mostly sugar; it's not sustaining or hydrating you as much as you think it is. If you need energy, you would be way ahead to eat something that is 130 calories (another two apples, for example, or an entire serving of non-fat yogurt or oatmeal) than drink the Gatorade. If it is a matter of being hot and thirsty, water would do a much better job of hydrating you than Gatorade (I don't care what they say in their commercials--it's all bunk).

I definitely agree with everyone else that you would have an easier time getting through the day if you ate more veggies and if your meals were lower in calories and you ate more/larger snacks.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

If hunger is an issue for you, you should read Barbara Roll's Volumetrics. It's based on research done at the U of Penn about what types of foods help people feel fuller while keeping calories low. Here's the 10 second version of the book: focus on water-rich foods. Include lots of fruits and veggies. If you make an omelet, throw in some veggies. Start meals with a broth-based soup or salad with fat free dressing. You want more bulk for fewer calories.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 223/223/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello!
That is sooooo not a dumb Q!

As far as what I eat. I use fitday free to work out my calories for the day. A typical day for me would be (1200-1500 range):

Br: Zone bar with 16 oz water, coffee 200cals; old fashioned rolled oats with splenda & cinnamon; good for me cereal & milk (high fiber); 2 eggs scrambled and ff american cheese & 1 slice lite whole wheat toast with heart healthy spread

snack: 1c blueberries or other fruit; lite yogurt-6oz; 0.5-1 c raw carrots or other veggie

lunch: 2slices lite bread w/ 2slices turkey 0.5c spinach &1T mustard w/ a side of fresh veggies or fruit, big ol' spinach salad with fresh red pepper cukes feta and a little lite (newmans own) feta ceasar dressing, chili w/ variety of beans, brown rice (0.5c) black beans & jalapeno tomatos (out of a can) with cumin on top and a little dab of lite or free sour cream

snack: 12 almonds, fresh fruit or veggies, animal crackers (on occasion -16 = 120 cals.)

dinner: fav= blackened salmon (from sam's club) and a big spicach salad with fresh red peppers etc., grilled (on grill or foreman's grill on low) boneless pork chops or chicken with wonderful spices lightly steamed veggies or salad
If you have steak, beef or other, just watch portions. I try to forego the starches (potatoes, bread) except for fresh sweet potatoes (or yams- by the potatoes in produce section). If I have a starch, it will be whole grain but still watching portions.

for dessert: sugar free popcicles, skinny-mans pudding (made with skim milk) and free whipped topping.

the whole thing is about portions. I ate healthy for the most part, but had pizza's and higher fat/ calorie stuff. Now I just have that stuff, just not as often, and if I do, I try to watch it that day or the next. If you're having trouble you can also use the frozen meals. The key, I think, is to drink water. I always knew that, but never actually DID it. I noticed my 3yo would drink a bunch of water before a meal and then couldnt finish it. I had to learn to do what she did (though we discourage her from that now cuz she needs to eat more!) and it does help, really! Drinking my water is a big struggle for me, but I try to do a little more each day until my body is used to it. Maybe that's what you have to do with all this stuff too.

What may also help is to do it gradually instead of cold turkey. Like Sockmonkey and them suggested. Everyone's different. But we're all here to help each other out, right???

hope this helps you on your journey. Whatever you do, just dont quit! for pete's sakes!

Take care and have the best day!
MNMs mama is offline   Reply With Quote