Old 01-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #1  

Default Not Enough Calories

I am currently writing my diet plan for the week and I am finding that each day seems to come around 1300ish calories but I want an extra 100. All the main meals were from ediets as I signed up a few months ago and got some of the recipes so I dont want to increase the portion sizes as they are obviously correct, I have tried to add big portions of salads etc but the only salad foods I like are lettuce and cucumber and I am already eating lots of fruit and cant really add anymore to the plan so any suggestions?

I was thinking of perhaps a glass of milk each day? But other than that I cant really come up with anything, the only drinks I am having are plain water and flavoured bottled water (which is 2calories a bottle).
KarieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/216/110

Height: 5'1"

I think milk would be good. Skim milk is roughly 90 calories. I know it looks kind of watery, but (to me anyway) it tastes the same as any other milk. Plus it's always good to have some calcium.

Do you eat any other foods that have a good source of calcium?

Do you like any other veggitables other than lettuce and cucumbers? What about baby carrots? In the past I liked to just randomly munch on baby carrots when I felt the need to do something with my mouth.

If you don't have any snackish types of things planned out, what about popcorn? I know (at least here) they have single serving bags of popcorn.

Also, going along the lines of snacks, there's those snacks that are the 100-calorie bags.
spunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #3  

Milk appears to be my only source of calcium so probably a glass a day would be a good idea.

I dont have time to go back to the shop this week but for next week I will look out for the 100 calorie snack bags.

I like other vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, peas.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #4  

Here is a copy of this weeks plan, its a bit late to change it now but I will take any comments into consideration for next week. I know there is a lot of fruit, but I dont know what else to fill the calories up with
Attached Files
File Type: doc 1.doc (42.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

You need calcium.If your body doesn't get it from what you eat,it will get it from your bones.Then you are in for all sorts of problems.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

If not milk, try yogurt. You might even try to squeeze in a little fresh fruit with the yogurt.

Oh, I just looked over your log....you're already doing the yogurt. I'd stick with milk.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 227/153/135

Height: 5'7"

I consider skim milk w/a package of diet hot chocolate in it to be the greatest source of calcuim on the planet I use the hot chocolate rather than sugar-free Quik or syrup because of the calcium bonus and because I think it has a richer taste. Plus, I've read in several magazines that chocolate milk after exercise is good for you...didn't take me long to buy into that!
OnePerDecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I would also recommend nuts! A study showed that 5 servings of nuts a week (1/4 cup) can reduce the risk of heart disease by up to 30% - that is amazing! Sprinkle a few cashews in stir fries, sesame seeds over salads, almonds in oatmeal, chopped walnuts with a baked apple, a tbs of natural peanut butter on a sliced banana, chopped pecans in quinoa, trailmix with dried blueberries...or heck, just eat a serving!

Personally, I have to be careful because nuts are sooo good to me, it's very easy to overeat. I try to measure out servings in advance!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #9  
Is too long. I sum up.

S/C/G: 240/229.5/140?

Height: 5'6"

Yep, I would say milk or nuts for some good added calories.

Julie
Eiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #10  
To be happy with myself..

S/C/G: 226/199/175

Height: 5'8"

I would highly suggest, as most ladies on this thread already have, a good source of calcium. Two years ago I ended up getting all kinds of kidney problems because I wasn't taking in enough calcium (which is weird because too much calcium does a number on the kidneys as well) at the tender age of 17... so milk, yogurt, low fat cheese... something... Plus dairy has been shown to aid weight-loss!
Imenonelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarieH View Post
I am currently writing my diet plan for the week and I am finding that each day seems to come around 1300ish calories but I want an extra 100. All the main meals were from ediets as I signed up a few months ago and got some of the recipes so I dont want to increase the portion sizes as they are obviously correct, I have tried to add big portions of salads etc but the only salad foods I like are lettuce and cucumber and I am already eating lots of fruit and cant really add anymore to the plan so any suggestions?

I was thinking of perhaps a glass of milk each day? But other than that I cant really come up with anything, the only drinks I am having are plain water and flavoured bottled water (which is 2calories a bottle).
how about a jello pudding in the dairy isle it is 100 cal fat free and sugar free and a treat!
stahshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #12  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

"Silk" brand soy milk, in the vanilla flavor, has a lot of protein and calcium, and it's yummy. Exactly 100 calories per cup.
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote