Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/155/140

Height: 5'6" Age (50)

Default Crazy comments...

I have gotten the craziest comments from people at work since successfully loosing over 60 lbs. What crazy comments have you gotten?

Latest crazy comment from a very heavy woman at work:
"So are you finished with all this NONSENSE?"
I said, "what nonsense?"
She said, "you know, loosing weight and working out nonsense"
MiniMeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

I did get a compliment that was more like an insult from my brother-in-law the other day. I know he meant well. I called him out on it though, and we both laughed as he tried to explain himself.
Bro-in-law: Hey, were you running up at the park last Sunday night?
Me: Yup. That was me.
Bro-in-law: I thought that was you, but I didn't see you until you passed, and she looked too coordinated to be you.
Me: Looked too coordinated? Thanks alot! What were you expecting, me to be tripping over my feet?
Bro-in-law: No, no, I just meant you had a good stride going on. I hadn't seen you run before, so I guess I didn't know what to expect. You had a good run going!

Then I laughed and forgave his awkward compliment because he is a runner and I make light of my running ability in front of others because I am not comfortable with it yet, and so that is why he probably was expecting me to get tangled up in my legs LOL
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMeee View Post
I have gotten the craziest comments from people at work since successfully loosing over 60 lbs. What crazy comments have you gotten?

I said, "what nonsense?"
Because being healthy and active is nonsense!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

Haha! I hope I'm NEVER finished with this said Nonsense!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5

Quote:

I said, "what nonsense?"
what did you tell her?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/155/140

Height: 5'6" Age (50)

I told her that I would NEVER be finished with this NONESENSE. That I was still working out everyday, and that I had made a decision to change my life. It's a new way of thinking about food and fitness. She said she thinks about me every day on the way home as she is passing the gym. Then she gave me every rationalization under the sun why she couldn't exercise, trying to make herself feel better. I told her to make it hard NOT to exercise. Keep her gym clothes in the car, or better yet, change into the clothes before she leaves work. Even 20 minutes of walking is better than sitting in front of the TV eating a bag of chips. I told her that she would have more energy if she worked out and that working out gets easier as you lose weight. I know this information went in one ear and out the other. People don't want to hear the truth about portion sizes and sweat. They just want the quick fix, a pill, some fat melting cure. With people like this, they ask for help and my natural reaction is to share my knowledge. But over and over now, I feel like my breath is wasted. They take the nuggets of gold I give them and throw them in the trash. It's crazy.
MiniMeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You know what they say about opinions..... (opinions are like.....everyone has one).

I think we deal with opinions on other issues a lot better than weight loss, because we're taught to take weight loss personally. When someone has a crazy philosophy on most other subjects we just shake our head and think "wow, that's kind of crazy" but with weight loss we take it personally.

I file crazy advice/comments with all the other crazy advice/comments I get on other subjects.

Like the chain smoker who told me that I wouldn't get so many sinus infections if I drank a glass of orange juice every day like he did.

Or my aunt who said that if I got my masters degree no man would marry me.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

Or my aunt who said that if I got my masters degree no man would marry me.
There is a heck of a lot of crazy advice in the world-but whoa. Hasn't she heard? Education is sexy! Seriously!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #9  

Quote:
I said, "what nonsense?"

WOW! She really has some big personal problems regarding weight loss. She has no intention of losing weight, enjoys overeating, and is threatened by your weight loss.
She wants everyone around her to be fat so she can continue to stuff herself every day.
She is also abusive by belittling your efforts.

Next time she makes the comment just tell her "it is nonsense for me to be overweight when I can be thin and look great."

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

She is obviously jealous of you as she is trying to make it out that being active and healthy is silly. To be honest, any rude remarks I've received in the past I usually see as compliments because it means that other people are noticing my hard work. Think, this woman probably admires that you've lost weight and is a little insecure about the fact that she is not doing the same thing. You are not a part of her "club" anymore and she has to deal with that. Be proud. You are standing out for the healthy changes that you've made in your life.
Sunshine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
You know what they say about opinions..... (opinions are like.....everyone has one).
"Opinions were like kittens, I was given them away"

sorry, could resist... proceed
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

My neighbor told me and my hubby that we should have competed in a Biggest Loser Contest.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I have gotten the 'You know, carrots are full of sugar" comment several times. (I almost always have a carrot among the veggies in the 400-cal packed lunch I bring to work every day.)

At least once it was said by someone holding a Dunkin donuts bag. I haven't checked there lately, they must have a new low-sugar range of products.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #14  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

My father’s aunt who I haven’t seen in a few years quoted Dr. Phil after I told her that I am NOT on a diet….that I changed my life to be healthy. She said, “Well, dear, don’t get too excited. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior”. Whatever. I wanted to say, “So that means you’ll still be an old miserable hag this time next year?”. But I didn’t.

Last edited by ShanIAm; 06-02-2011 at 10:08 AM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #15  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

A friend once told me she "couldn't take it if she had to measure out everything."

I just replied "Uh huh" and kept going. But in my head I was thinking, "I don't love it either, but I don't get good A1C's out of thin air, and I haven't fended off type II this long just wishing!"

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote