Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default people and why i don't like being around them

I'm so avoiding people at work. Every time I walk into the office I have to listen to twenty minutes of..."Hey skinny! Look at her! How much weight have you lost? Are you still running, how far do you run? I've started walking." etc. etc.

It was flattering the first time. Now, I really just want to get my mail and coffee and use the fax machine and go back to work. Please don't do this every freakin' day. Do NOT ask again how much weight I've lost. I told you I don't weigh myself which we both know is a lie. I'm lying to you for a reason. Don't make me explain my reason to you like you are an idiot because its going to make us both feel bad and we have to work together.

Every...single...freaking conversation anyone wants to have with me is about fitness. Thats not hyperbole either.
Someone please tell me how long I have to maintain before this stops? Like a year maybe? Hopefully a little less?

I'll tell ya, this is the best motivation to not regain the weight. If I have to have one more totally inane conversation about my weight, I'm going to claw my own eyes out.
nods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Totally agree (from the Last Time I lost weight). Compliment me once, thankyou so much, but then leave it! It became the #1 subject every time; every time I was ill (migraine, virus, bad back) it was always the fault of having lost weight; every time I ate at (calorie-budgeted) cake, candy or cookie, it was a major topic for regret that now I'd be bound to have spoiled things.

I know it's better than shouting hey lardas s, every time someone sees you; and I'm still weighting for someone to notice my loss; but enough is enough!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #3  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Oh gosh I know what you mean! I'm so glad when I get around people that don't know me sometimes At least their conversations are normal & not all about weight loss/exercise. Neither do I point out my WL to them.

I have told my family and friends to not feel obligated to try and talk to me about my looks/WL/exercise, etc. I won't be insulted or anything if they treat me normally.

I do love compliments....I just think sometimes people think they have to mention it every time they see you so your feelings won't get hurt.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #4  

I agree but now I feel guilty.I have been trying to lose weight for so long and several girls at work have lost this year.I supose I have been very annoying to them as I have frequently commented on their weight loss and asked them for advice.Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #5  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Someone wrote a thread a couple of weeks ago about the stages of people noticing your weight loss. I think you may be in the "enough, already" stage.

The last stage is it's so old hat no one thinks about it.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #6  

I hear ya. After I'd lost a significant amount and was approaching normal size, I remember telling my mother that when I was home for Christmas I did NOT want the relatives talking about my loss. Not that I wasn't proud of what I'd accomplished, and not that they were anything but happy for me, but it just made me uncomfortable to be the topic of conversation in that way by that time.

I don't know that there's a cure other than time. I will say that asking how much someone weighs or has lost, or what size they wear, is a rude personal question. I know people think they are being friendly and congratulatory, but it's just rude. You could try the Miss Manners approach -- look a little shocked, and say in a soft voice, "Why would you ask such a personal question?" Or, something that's a little more general that would cover a lot of commments/questions is, "Ya know, I'm a little uncomfortable talking about that, it's rather personal. I know you understand."
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #7  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Nods, yes it can be entirely frustrating. I am told I am now an inspiration to others.(kinda neat if I tuck my b*tch away) Further I have become almost- I am not joking- iconic as it pertains to weight loss.
When I got to my it's enough stage in terms of "OMG! You keep getting smaller" I laugh and say I've been the same weight for 8 months. Then we all agree we don't see each other often enough....

But of all the annoyances in the world, I'll take this one in exchange for many others

You. Go. Girl.

Last edited by kittycat40; 04-13-2009 at 12:13 PM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 231/156/150

Height: 5'8''

the last straw for me was when I met my parents for dinner at Applebee's with friends of theirs from church that I'd never met and my parents introduced me as "Jessica, Our Younger daughter. She just lost 60 pounds!"

I realized I never wanted to hear anything about my MIRACULOUS WEIGHT LOSS ever again.

LOL. Now no one mentions it. Except people are always telling me THEIR weightloss stories--like, of course, this will be important to you--YOU KNOW what it is like.

I did move to another state three years ago and for a long time I enjoyed relative anonymity regarding weight loss. Now, when it comes out, people say "No, not you. I don't believe it." I shrug. I mean, what am I going to do? I actually had to show someone my passport photo so she would be convinced.

The worst was when my dad emailed a "before" photo to my soon-to-be fiance. Just a friendly FYI from the man who doesn't want you dating his baby. She used to resemble a beached whale!! My family obviously has issues.
littletortugalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletortugalover View Post
the last straw for me was when I met my parents for dinner at Applebee's with friends of theirs from church that I'd never met and my parents introduced me as "Jessica, Our Younger daughter. She just lost 60 pounds!"
OMG. I would just about DIE if this happened to me. Seriously. This is terrible. My husband does some variation of this. Anytime we go anywhere and see anyone he says "look how much weight she has lost!" right off the bat.

I want to smack him so bad.
nods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I passed through that phase. It was OK at first, then got kind of embarrassing, like the other person knew she was just repeating herself but couldn't stop herself. It took a little while, but now I tend to get no comments from some people who used to gush every time they saw me. And *that* took a little (not much!) getting used to also. I think sometimes you just have to ride the phase out.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #11  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I was at a party with some of my fellow grad students when my labmate lifted his beer in the air and toasted my new figure. Granted, he was slightly intoxicated, but damn... how embarrassing.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #12  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

I can totally relate to this. I have a nutty neighbor with a high pitch cackling voice that shouts across the yard "Hey Skinny". UGH UGH UGH! First, I am not skinny, secondly why didn't you shout "Hey Fat ***" when I was heavier!

Grrrrrr
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #13  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Bookmark this post and re-visit it 6 months after you reach your goal.

It seems to be all or nothing. I got tired of it too. But, now - I hardly ever hear comments and - sometimes - every once in a while - I actually miss them
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/150/130

i dont know what it is about weight loss that makes people feel like manners go out the window and they can say whatever they want. i had someone i used to work with actually tell me that she heard i didnt eat anything! and she tried to argue the point with me, like she actually watches me eat everyday or something. would anyone in their right mind say, 'hey you eat everything in sight dont ya!' heck no. but for some reason, telling someone they have to be eating nothing works. *sigh*

although, the only person who actually complements me is my mother. who is also a hair stylist, and actuallly introduced me to one of her clients by saying 'this is my daughter N. she has recently lost so much weight she looks like she lost a person on either side!" and then went on to tell me that my husband must be so happy! my response was 'J loves me Ma not my weight, no matter how big or small i am' her response? ' yes well men are VISUAL creatures, so he MUST be much happier now.' thanks ma...
JenniCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 420/190/190

Height: 6 ft

Give it time and they'll get used to the new you. Since they don't see all the hard work you go through, to them it's like an amazing, magically transformation. Of course, they will talk about it. You can do what I did and take the opportunity to spread nutritional zealotry!

I found I really liked talking about nutrition and most people became more interested in what I eat than how much weight I'd lost. So the conversations went from being annoying to enjoyable. Heck, I even converted some over to my way of thinking! Now after so many years and since I eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours , I really only get "Hey watcha eatin today?" or "WHAT kind of shake is THAT?" and not "WOW, still keeping the weight off."

Mark
in need of solace is offline   Reply With Quote