Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #1  

Default Inner Thigh Liposuction

I have about 30 more lbs to lose, I think I am going to get there or at least 20, but I am starting to suspect that my upper thighs are never going to go down. They are actually as big as they were when I was 212. I have measured. And due to them I cannot wear skirts. Too much chaffing. My lower legs have lost all the weight.

Also, I get a ton of blemishes and other issues from the rubbing together of the skin even with slacks.

So I have decided to start looking into inner thigh liposuction. If anyone here can help me out, I am interested in finding out: (1) approx. cost?; (2) if my health insurance will cover (as I am having it primarily stop the damage to my inner thigh skin; (3) where to find a good legitimate surgeon; (4) recovery time?
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Everyone has different problem areas and inner thighs are #1 on my list. Even when I was thin (and I do mean *thin*) I still had fatty inner thighs.

I've been thinking that I might consider smartlipo after I reach a good goal weight and stabilize. Smartlipo is laser-assisted liposuction. It's still relatively new in the US so you would want to make sure that you find someone with a lot of experience.

The most likely "negative outcome" for lipo in general is a "poor cosmetic result" (e.g, too much extracted resulting in dents, dimples, or unevenness). But there will be (highly variable) down time and there are other real health risks as well, so take the time to research them.

Cost (of smartlipo) depends on the geographic area. In some areas, you can find someone with experience who would charge under 3K. In other ares, there is very little experience and the prices are higher.

I guess it's worth going for a consult and asking the doctor is there's any chance insurance would cover the lipo. I've never heard of it, but maybe your doctor could make a good case. Good luck!

Last edited by yoyoma; 06-15-2008 at 10:55 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

This is the American Society of Plastic Surgeons findasurgeon link: http://www1.plasticsurgery.org/ebusi...dasurgeon.aspx

The cost varies, maybe $3000++, probably your insurance won't cover it, but it would be worth looking into.

Recovery time varies, but probably you should be able to get back to work in a week (if not sooner).

If this is something you are seriously considering then I would recommend that you find a surgeon in your area, and get a consult. In that consult you should be able to: determine whether you can see yourself working with this PS, get his/her professional assesment of your situation, view pictures of their work on previous patients, get referral phone numbers from past patients you can call, get a price quote, and often they will check with your insurance company on your behalf if they think there is a chance your insurance might cover the costs.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #4  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Even when I was a pencil-thin kid my upper thighs rubbed together. I remember hating to wear tights because of the way it felt when I walked. Blech. It's just the way I'm built.

Within the next year I should be coming into a little bit of money. Once I get down to my goal weight I am going to spend part of that money fixing that little problem once and for all! (I'll also be getting rid of the family "poodge" which won't go away no matter how thin I get)

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 06-16-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote