Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #1  

Default Loose Skin After Weight Loss??

Hello! I'm new to this forum and just starting to lose weight. However, I have a pre-weight loss question. I am planning on losing about 65 pounds at a rate of about 2 pounds a week. I'm 16. Will my skin be saggy? I don't want it to be when I'm this young. Have any of you ever had this problem and if so..
How bad was it?
What did you do to fix it or reduce it?

Thanks for your input!
littleraerae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #2  

Okay, I realized there are tons of other threads and articles on this website about this, so no need to answer I guess.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:00 AM   #3  
Meg

Hi Littleaerae and ! I'm glad you found all the excess skin threads, but I want you to keep something very important in mind when you read them, OK? Since you're only 16 years old, your age is definitely on your side. Your skin is going to be much more elastic and able to snap back than most of ours. So I think you're going to do just fine with your weight loss and skin.

Good for you for taking care of the excess weight while you're still so young! There's so much for you to look forward to in your life.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #4  

Thank you!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Hey there!

I lost 50 pounds (a little bit less than what you intend to lose) around the same rate as you intend to lose it. While I am not quite your age, I am closer to it than some people on this forum (I'm 21).

I have a bit of loose skin on my stomach. I hate it, because my stomach is quite firm and has abdominal definition, yet the loose skin blocks it from showing completely. Plus, there's a bunch of puckering up going on around my belly button. The good news is that it IS tightening up. The bad news is that it's tightening up at a rate slower than I'd like it to go. I'm hoping that my stomach will snap back within the next year and I'd ideally like it to snap back by the time summer rolls around so that I can wear a bikini in public without feeling ashamed of the nasty skin!

While saying that, I am SO, SO, SOOOOO glad to have those 50 pounds off me that I'll take some loose skin over the flab any day! The other good news is that while the loose skin shows when I lift up my shirt, it is invisible under every outfit I own.

By the way, !
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 AM   #6  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

When I lost close to 50 pounds as a teen I didnt have an issue with any loose skin. Wish I had stayed that weight! all the best
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260+/222/150

Height: 6'0"

Good luck with your weight loss, and good job for getting healthy now!! I unfortunately have had two rounds of stretch marks. One session was around 11 years old when I grew taller rather fast (8in in 7mo) but they faded over time, no skin issues. My second round was over 3 years and 80+ pounds of weight gain. I don't think I would have had a problem with saggy-ness had I gained the weight slower or gained less. The lack of stretch marks would have meant less extreme irreversible stretching. I can tell that even though I'm young enough to have good elastic skin, my stomach is a goner as the stretch marks are too deep and too long.

You on the other hand should have no problem! Even in areas where you might have little stretch marks or extra fat shouldn't cause you to be left with saggy skin. As long as you stick to healthy paced weight loss, and muscle toning!

Wish you the best!

DancerPrancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #8  

When I was about 17 or so I lost just over a hundred pounds.
I didn't have a loose skin problem then - everything tightened up pretty quickly.
Now that I am nearly 47 I have real worries about what I'll look like if I do it again.
Definitely have to go slow this time.
Good Luck
coffeebarchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

One thing you can to do help ... especially since you're still young: moisturize!!! I used to scoff at my mom who would tell me that I should moisturize after I showered when I was a teen and in my early 20s. Now I wish I'd listened. It's not magic and it won't fix everything, but it will help some.

I have found that now, at 40, I have a much greater problem with loose skin, but I feel like I have been able to help some with regular moisturizing and massage. Again, it's not a magic bullet, but it will help some!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #10  
STi

Lose it slow..Lotion up and keep your skin moist..Might want to get a skin brush and brush the troubled spots esp if you have stretch marks.
STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #11  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Everyone is differnet, but at your age and only 65lbs over weight I'm very doubtful you'll have much of an issue... nothing is for certain but you have several factors (length of time overweight, age, and #s lost) on your side.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote