Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #16  
Old Cackler

hi lisa - anything is possible! the only thing i can suggest is to call your insurance company. and even if they'll cover something like this that's considered the result of surgery, you still have to document impairment or chronic infections or something that proves medical necessity.

let us know what they say!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #17  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

I don't have insurance, but I plan on looking into surgery once I lose the weight. I already know I will have a significant amount of skin left over. Being a single mom... Maybe someday I'd like to date again, and I would sure like to feel less self-conscious about my stomach!!
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #18  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

Hey POOKIE!!!

*waves frantically*
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:57 PM   #19  

My insurance didn't cover - but I must say it was the BEST money I've ever spent. I will admit, I'm not completely happy with the results, but, when compared to before WOW! Every time I shop and put on a pair of jeans, I'm just in amazement. It's so fantastic to look down and not see my hanging belly in my pants. It feels sooooooooo good. I started at 292lbs pre-surgery, had my bypass, and had my panni surgery when I leveled off for a while at 190lbs. I'm now 175-180lbs (and a size 10-12) - I'm 5'7 and very big boned - But in my friends estimation - look fabulous - (I've always carried my weight well) (Personally, I would still would like to loose another 20lbs - but if I remain at this weight - so be it - I'm happy to be here!).

Anywho - this was the best part of the entire bypass ordeal. I've always (even now) expect to look down and see my hanging belly, but no, it's as flat as I could possibly hope for (well almost ). So, if you can't go through your insurance, consider a personal loan. I can tell you it will be worth every penny you spend for the feeling of freedom~

Best to all,
Brando
brando5111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #20  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Brando how much was it?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:08 AM   #21  

My complete costs for surgery were $4,500.00 (I actually had a doctor that was featured on Dr.90210 - Dr. Michael Omidi, Valencia, CA) - he was good, and I don't blame him for my uneven scar, I think it's just the way my body healed. In any case, I could care less, I don't have a hanging belly anymore - which was much more important to me!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #22  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando5111 View Post
My complete costs for surgery were $4,500.00 (I actually had a doctor that was featured on Dr.90210 - Dr. Michael Omidi, Valencia, CA) - he was good, and I don't blame him for my uneven scar, I think it's just the way my body healed. In any case, I could care less, I don't have a hanging belly anymore - which was much more important to me!
Brando, I hope you don't mind if I'm terribly nosey and ask more questions. I am very interested in this, but I thought it was out of my price range. Were there additional hospital costs or anesthesia costs or is the $4500 inclusive. $4500 is definitely in my price range, the $20,000 I was imagining is not! THanks for sharing!!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #23  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Eep. For me it cost $15,000.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:29 AM   #24  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I can only imagine how much it would be here, the cost of the hospital room alone has to be staggering.

Is this sort of surgery a one day procedure?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #25  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Yeah Leenie, I am in the same glamorous geographical location as you are and as you know, the cost of living is high.

The surgery is a one day procedure. Some docs do it outpatient, but mine had me check into a hospital for a day. Which I think was the best way to do it. I could not have imagined going home after that. I was in such discomfort... and it helped having a bed that went up and down and a bathroom that was 1 yard away from me, not to mention people to help me up and out and just generally take care of me.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #26  

My complete costs were $4,500.00. I actually opened a Visa account just for this surgery. I'm paying it off slowly, and don't regret this one bit! He actually advertised in a local paper here in Valencia - that's how I found him, and then he ended up on last seasons Dr. 90210! I must say, they were always available as I had some complications, and felt they attended to me very well. As stated, my scar is uneven, and I feel he didn't remove as much fat as I had hoped on my upper tummy, but, even so, I'm still so much better off than before. My husband always says I look so sexy naked now. Which still makes me uncomfortable (but happy inside)!

I'm sure since the Dr. 90210 stint his prices have sky-rocketed, but I don't know for sure. If not, I do recommend. He will do the panni surgery as an out-patient procedure in his office, but you must have someone available to take you to your home/hotel for recovery. Because it's not in a hospital is why (in my estimation) the procedure is so much more affordable. But, the surgery room looks just like any hospital I've been in, and I was very comfortable with the way they handled their patients.

Happy to answer all questions.

Best,
Brando
Old 04-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #27  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Thanks Brando and chica for the information. It is something I may pursue after I've reached my goal and maintained for awhile.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote