The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 169

Height: 5

Question Finding Time To Workout???

Hey everyone,

I know I am not the only one here with a busy schedule and I was just wondering how you find the time to work out? I am a prety much single mother of three kids, work full time and go to school! My day generally goes as follows:

5:30 - wake up, get ready, make sure kids are ready
6:30 - leave house
7-3:30 - work, I do not have a set break schedule and often have to eat at my desk so walking at break/lunch is not too much of an option
4-6: pick up kids, cook, help with homework
7-8: help kids with chores, clean, do a load of laundry, etc.
8-9: kids time
9: kids bedtime
9:15-11: homework for me
11-11:30 - prepare for tomorrow (clothes out, check kids homework & schedule)

I know this is a lot of information but I was hoping that someone maybe found a way to juggle something similar! I work out on the weekends no problem but it is fitting it in during the week that is killing me!

Thanks for any help!

And GO RED TEAM!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #2  
Fat-be-gone

I'm sorry I don't have any advice, but your schedule makes me realize that I have lots of free time and I am not using it to my advantage. I don't workout at all and the only thing that takes up my day Mon-Fri 8-6 is work (travel time included). I defintely take my time for granted.

But you are awesome if you do that everyday. Do you mind me asking if you are a single mom or if there is a dad in the picture? Because if there is, he can lend a hand so you can get some alone time to undwind and excercise.

But at least you are getting workouts in on the weekends!!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #3  

I have been divorced for 5 years and my ex-husband has come around maybe a dozen times. So no, no dad in the picture. I do however have a boyfriend but he often works from 6-5 and he moved back in with his grandmother in January because she is ill (she raised him) and needs 24 hour care. He helps whenever he can but during the week, he just can't.

The gym I belong to (haven't went in a while) has a daycare center that is pretty cheep. When I have the money, I tried to go and let the kids do their homework there; however, because of all the fun stuff in the center, I found that homework was the last thing on their mind and because of the schedule, I just couldn't pull it off.

Life is just busy! No matter who you are or what your responsibilities are, there is always 100 things to do!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Do you cook every day? I tend to make lots of food when I cook so that I have leftovers which I can just put in the microwave. Also, frozen veggies are great for being cooked in the microwave as well. Could you do a workout DVD (30 minutes) at home while kids are doing their homework? You might also benefit from doing workouts 10 minutes at a time. I know there are short workout DVDs but even doing 10 mins of weights in the morning, 10 mins of cardio (a step? walking in place? etc?) after work and then 10 mins of stretching before bed might be one of your best bets. Do you watch any tv? I know my mom has a gazelle which she uses while she watches TV. You could also try small things like parking further away at work, taking breaks during work so you can walk around for a couple minutes, etc. Also, if your weekends have more time, definitely try to squeeze in exercise there.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #5  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

holy cow!! Wow, makes me think that I'm not doing enough. I hope you can fit a 10 min walk or a dvd in. In the kids time (or maybe they've signed up for sports ie: soccer) Could you go to a park and while they play, you could walk for a workout. Just a thought. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #6  

I am honestly just not good at making the most of my time. I never work out when we are at the park and I never take them places where I can get something out of it. I think that is what I am looking for help with because there is not much I can do about my schedule.

Thanks for the advice!!! I am going to take them to the park in the morning so maybe I will go for a walk while the play.. I can just look crazed as I walk in circles around the play yard lol
Old 09-29-2006, 05:46 PM   #7  
banned

can you squeeze in 30 min bf you do your homework?