The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 12-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #1  

Question Question about Winning by Losing Workout

Hello everyone. I am pretty much a lurker here. I just went to the Library today and got Winning by Losing. My question:

The following is confusing to me: perform 3 sets of 15 Reps for each circuit.

The first circuit: Push-ups and Rectus Abs. Do you do 1 set Push-ups and then 1 set of Rectus ABs, and then start over until you do this 3 times?????

Or do you do 3 sets push-ups and then 3 sets Rectus ABs?????

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by Mommyof2boys; 12-02-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #2  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi Mommy. I can only say what I do, but my understanding is to do 3 repeats of the same weight/muscle group. So I would do.....3 sets of 15 lat pull downs, then without stopping....the next one....then without stopping....do the next one until circuit 1 is done. Then start circuit 2 etc etc. The main idea, is to get your heart rate up and keep it at that level. Good luck!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:23 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

well...that's not exactly right either, from what I know about circuit training.

Here's how it works:

Let's say that you have a "Circuit" consisting of 3 sets of 15 reps of the following:

Pushups
Leg Press
Jump Rope (90 seconds)

So here's what you do:

15 pushups THEN 15 Leg Presses, THEN 90 seconds of jumping rope;
15 pushups THEN 15 Leg Presses, THEN 90 seconds of jumping rope;
15 Pushups THEN 15 Leg Presses THEN 90 seconds of jumping rope.

There ya go - that's one circuit. An upper body exercise, a lower body exercise, and some cardio to keep the heart rate up.

Hope that helps...
Old 12-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #4  

Yes, what Mrs Jim said, because if you remember in the book Jillian explains the reason you do this is because it makes the blood rush to the area you're working on. So instead of it just staying in your upper body for your pushups it is forced to switch from one end to the other.

Now I can't remember what that built up I'd have to check but I think the end result meant that it decreased the build up of lactic acid. Hmmm maybe I'm getting mixed up and should have stopped at the first paragraph.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #5  

For those following the workout, are you able to do it as stated in the gym. I like the workouts in theory, I'm just trying to figure out how I will be able to go to a machine, then find some floor space for pushups, the perform some aerobic moves I don't want to do in public LOL and then head back to the machine and hope there isn't someone on it when I start the second set.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:34 PM   #6  

Smile All women

I guess I'm lucky I go to an all women's gym. I love it so much. Everyone is there for the same reasons and you never feel uncomfortable. There's also heaps of room to do whatever you need. What I find really funny is if there is going to be a man coming in to fix a machine or something else the staff come around and tell every single person. Hahaha ooo a man is coming. It's funny but it's also very cool. Especially for women that wear the head covers for religious reasons. They take it off to exercise but a man shouldn't see them without it so the warning for them is a very nice gesture.

If you don't like to do it in public you probably wouldn't need much equipment to do it at home.. ??
Old 12-03-2005, 01:31 AM   #7  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I've been doing it in a women's gym as well...sometimes it is hard to find space. (Especially since this last month they are renovating...)

I try to get to the gym before rush hour....I also didn't start on Monday. I started on Saturday - it works pretty well for me because it comes out to gym on Sat, Sun, Tues & Wednesday. That's the fewest possible weekdays in the gym. I have a really hard time escaping work early enough sometimes...early morning isn't my thing either.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #8  

Thanks to everyone for the replies. They really helped.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #9  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Sorry Mommy.....I've been doing it incorrectly. MrsJim gets bonus marks for bringing it to my attention. I felt great doing the workout (my way) and feel more strength for sure, but will definitely change to the proper format. I don't want to be left in the dust. Thanks MrsJim!!!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #10  

Thanks Angel Eyes: Obviously you have been doing something right. You have lost 23 lbs. I went back and re-read some of the book. It does now make sense to me why we would want to rotate like Mrs. Jim and OzLoser2Be suggested. I am sure I will have to come back with more questions...

Hugs,
Rachel