The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 273/256.8/115

Height: 4'11"

I like Dolvette a lot and I'm not too sure about Anna yet. Bob is getting an interesting edit this season; did you see the part where they had him laughing maniacally during a workout?

I understand the whole "battle of the ages" thing, but it is pretty unfair when you consider Bonnie has such a bad knee and can barely limp around during the challenges.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 313 / 225.25 / 135

Height: 5'4

This is my first season watching this, and I feel like in comparison to the other trainers Anna is not as harsh as the others and that is part of why the Blue team is doing so bad in my opinion. I'm sad I never got interested in this show til after Jillian was already gone. I've been watching The Doctor's with Jillian now and I imagine she was a great trainer.

As a newbie to this show, does anyone know what kind of diet do they put the contestants on? Is there info about it anywhere? Just curious about it. I imagine its a pretty structured diet catered to them since exercise regiment is pretty extreme.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #63  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by medigal View Post
I understand the whole "battle of the ages" thing, but it is pretty unfair when you consider Bonnie has such a bad knee and can barely limp around during the challenges.

I think that Bonnie could push herself more than she does, although I also think that is where Anna falls short as a trainer - a more experienced trainer would be able to work out better exercise modifications for her, the way Bob has for Jennifer who has a knee injury. That doesn't address the challenges, of course, but I think she could be working out harder than she is and do a bit better on the scale. This is all of course in Biggest Loser terms, a person in the real world would be happy to lose 7 lbs in two weeks, but it's not the kind of loss that being on BL and having hours and hours a day to devote to exercise normally gets you.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #64  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Yeah, I think Anna underestimates how much her team could do. She was having all of them do something with little baby weights. I dont recall pretty pink dumbbells in any of the older contestants hands in previous seasons. Even Mike was using pretty baby weights and he looks pretty strong.

Diet -well if you go by the little they talk about diet on the show you would think it is entirely subway, jennie-o, yoplait, biggest loser protein powder and stuff steamed in ziploc bags and extra chewing gum but I believe I read that men are 1500 and women are 1200 cals/day
Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #65  

Height: 5'3"

From what I can gather after watching the show for years thier diet seems to be a lowfat, low-ish carb, low calorie approach.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

still not feeling Anna... hoping she picks up during the season. besides that, really seems the older group has it unfair.. not winning the challenge and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD1234 View Post
This is my first season watching this, and I feel like in comparison to the other trainers Anna is not as harsh as the others and that is part of why the Blue team is doing so bad in my opinion. I'm sad I never got interested in this show til after Jillian was already gone. I've been watching The Doctor's with Jillian now and I imagine she was a great trainer.

As a newbie to this show, does anyone know what kind of diet do they put the contestants on? Is there info about it anywhere? Just curious about it. I imagine its a pretty structured diet catered to them since exercise regiment is pretty extreme.
it's been mentioned the females eat around 1200 calories a day. I found this awhile ago, not sure how true it is but it seems ok http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/biggest-loser-diet
hopefully they aren't really eating the sugary yoplait yogurts!

Last edited by ringmaster; 09-29-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #67  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
still not feeling Anna... hoping she picks up during the season. besides that, really seems the older group has it unfair.. not winning the challenge and all.

it's been mentioned the females eat around 1200 calories a day. I found this awhile ago, not sure how true it is but it seems ok http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/biggest-loser-diet
hopefully they aren't really eating the sugary yoplait yogurts!
All the ads are for the artificially sweetened yoplait. Bleeeech.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I thought the episode was interesting in that, to me, it seemed like they were doing a lot more advertising (ahem--yolplait), and trying to create a little more drama (what's with the black team suddenly having a problem? Did John really say all those things to Antone? And why did Antone act like he didn't really know about it? And did I miss a part somewhere? It seemed out of the blue...)

Bob...he is crazy.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 231.0/193.6/185.9

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
All the ads are for the artificially sweetened yoplait. Bleeeech.
My sentiments exactly.

I really think Anna is doing her best, but I also think she needs some help ... Bonnie needs some serious modification and I think Mike needs more of a challenge. Maybe Becky, too.

I really felt for the guy who found out he had diabetes ... I've been there recently with hypertension (which I know I say over and over, but it's the cornerstone of my motivation for weight loss), and it just sucks to have that wall come down.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 273/256.8/115

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyalpn View Post
I thought the episode was interesting in that, to me, it seemed like they were doing a lot more advertising (ahem--yolplait), and trying to create a little more drama (what's with the black team suddenly having a problem? Did John really say all those things to Antone? And why did Antone act like he didn't really know about it? And did I miss a part somewhere? It seemed out of the blue...)

Bob...he is crazy.
The product placement is getting out of hand. "You guys, did you know Yoplait makes low-fat yogurt in dessert flavors like red velvet cake? It's soooo delicious and only has 100 calories." Not to mention those Brita water bottles are all over the place (I actually want one, but the product placement makes me laugh). I am just waiting for another tutorial on how to use Ziploc bags or a speech on how great Jennie-O turkey is.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

I am very surprised how much I like Anna! She is so sweet with those older folks and seems to really care. I didn't think she would be like that.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

I'm disappointed in my Brita bottle. DH ran out and bought 2, and I'm hoping we just need a new filter. Now I can only drink half the water from the bottle and when it gets past halfway the water stops flowing through the bottle. They didn't do this when we first got them...
Old 09-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #73  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

After watching the second episode I really think that Anna is too soft on her team, and like previous posters have commented she underestimates them. She reminds me of a tired mom begging her kids to listen to her instead of a good coach who'll kick your butt.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #74  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Krissy View Post
After watching the second episode I really think that Anna is too soft on her team, and like previous posters have commented she underestimates them. She reminds me of a tired mom begging her kids to listen to her instead of a good coach who'll kick your butt.
That is a good analogy. Kind of ineffectual. I did have a flash of "so whatcha gonna do about it" go through my head when watching just like a snotty kid.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

I feel the same way. I like Anna as a person. I think she is sweet and caring (I would have never thought that before). But she has no experience as a trainer. I can't understand for the life of me why when there are so many trainers all over the US they couldn't find two professional trainers! I feel so bad for the Blue team, they are not getting the true experience of the ranch.

I really feel for Becky, she seems so strong & could possibly stay in this to the end but she doesn't have a chance if they don't change the game up.

Can't stand some of their product placements. Most of the stuff they push as snacks is pure junk! Why not push Greek Yogurt which is full of protein and not full of crap!

I believe their diet is eating a small amount of protein everytime they eat. Found it here: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/biggest-loser-diet

Just wanted to say so glad it is in teams format this year. I have watched from the beginning and absolutely hate the couples format.