The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #76  
Token Vulcan

I knew Koli would have won had he been voted in, since that was apparently all that mattered to him. I'm glad that he wasn't, though--however he tried to explain it, his attitude was a turn-off. And I don't know what his problem was tonight--nervousness, bitter disappointment, whatever, but he showed no graciousness towards anyone at all--he can't even feign happiness for someone else. It made him come off as a sore loser. When he said he just wanted to go home, I was like, so go home! I don't know where this confidence or happiness he claims to have is--he always looks uncomfortable, shuffling around, his posture down, not looking at people (unless he tries to be loud and outrageous)...I think, unless he has somebody like Sam around to give him a kick, he's gonna backslide. Unfortunately, knowing he had lost over 45% just at the ranch made the at home competition kind of anti-climactic, since most of them weren't even close.

Contrast that to the 3 finalists...these guys were friends and they were genuinely happy for one another. They all looked fantastic. And Michael. Wow. He did it. He lost half his body weight, plus one! And his mom looked great, too! Yay, Forza Italia!

Gotta tape Regis & Kelly tomorrow since Michael will be on!

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 05-25-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

Height: 5'7"

I still can't believe Michael won! He looks amazing. It's hard to believe he weighed over 500 pounds 7 months ago.

And the pink team rocked it. I know they didn't win either prize, but they were serious contenders for both.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

So happy for Michael. All of the final 3 looked great, not even overly gaunt and dehydrated compared to Danny last year and Helen the year before.

I guess I'm glad Koli won the at home prize considering what he accomplished but man, something was very, very off about him.

Proof that BMI is pretty meaningless - Daris is still technically overweight. Not by a lot, but still. I know the men wear some sort of compression shirts underneath to help with loss skin, but even still, there was a lot of muscle on both of them and my guess is Daris's body fat is quite low now. Michael and Ash are both still obese per BMI, which is a little more realistic, they both still have a way to go, although that takes nothing away from their incredible transformation.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:52 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

What was with Koli?!? The guy looked down right creepy. Downward eyes and hunched over shoulders...shuffling around....talking strangely. Was he so dehydrated he was delirious or what?!? WEIRD!!

I am SO happy for Michael! He looked amazing!

Daris...Oh my! He is SO cute! I hope he has found the happiness he deserves.

I am so sad the season is over. I am not sure why but I am not particularly psyched about Jillian's new show. Maybe it will surprise me though...we'll have to see
Old 05-26-2010, 05:38 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, Koli was acting like a nut...kinda like someone I would be concerned about being alone with.

Sam, at least, acts....well, human!

Oh, wasn't Ali adorable last night? You can tell the people she really has an affection for. I absolutely love her as host.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I really think Koli has issues that WL will not help. I am not sure if he has some kind of serious depression or what..... he seems to want to isolate a lot. I cannot remember what week it was but he was wanting to "run" and they showed a bit of that last night, and there was another time that he wanted to isolate. I do feel badly for him. I hope if he has issues he can get them worked out.

Ashley did an awesome job, as did her mother.

I hope Mike can continue on. I was not a fan of his when he split the teams unevenly, but he seems to be a trooper. His mom did a great job at home as well. It seems that he and Ashley have a good bond.

I liked Melissa's hair...... but boy her face made her look older.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

Mike's mom did look great. She was very pretty at the finale.

I'm still thrilled that he won - and at how wonderful he looked. I know he's not at what the docs would consider a goal weight (and it sounded like he intend to continue his loss) but he weighed 526 pounds 7 months ago - and now he's someone I'd describe as a "big" guy.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #83  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Koli strikes me as very introverted, something 6/7/8 months of weight loss is not going to correct. He's probably still stunned at himself. I know I would be. I think he just wasn't handling the lights and cameras as well as the others.

I was amazed by Sherry! It's really very unfair the way they choose the biggest loser. It SHOULD by all accounts be about final BF%. Sherry could not have won because she had less to lose. The show rewards those who were bigger to start with.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #84  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I will try to remember all those things I wanted to post as I watched the finale last night.

I loved Alison's dress. But I have to admit that sometimes she seems chubby to me and at other times slim. I don't get it. I would have loved her dress but it's not made for bigger boobs. So there I go.

Michael's mom looked awesome.
I was upset, for some unknown reason, seeing Ashley's mom (was it Sheri?) so close to winning the at home prize. I never liked her much and those feelings itensified as the season progressed. I was glad that she was ousted by Darrell (great job, Darrell, BTW!).
I expected Drea to do better as well.
Miggy looked great, too.
Cheryl - OMG - she was SO CUTE!

Stephanie looked gorgeous!!! I was a bit worried when they showed her briefly (when Sam went off the ranch) as it seemed to me she still had a lot to lose. Whoever was doing the makeup last night did a great job.

Melissa MORGAN looked stunning! Loved her dress as well. I actually wished for Melissa to win the at home prize (anybody but Sheri).

Koli - I was never that upset by his attitude but I could not get what was going on with him last night. But I am sure it must VERY tough to find out on a live finale, in front of so many people, that America gave her vote to somebody else. I hope, for his sake, that he will be able to work out whatever issues he has. I wish him well.

Sam - didn't care for his outfit either.

I was rooting for Daris, but only lightly. I think I knew that he would not be able to beat Michael or Ashley. But I have to say I would have been happy for any of those three to win. They all worked very hard and I am incredibly proud of them all.
Michael looked amazing. I am very happy for him.

But, I was disappointed that they did not show anything about the three finalists (I mean how they spent the time at home - I know it was partly covered last week) - but at least they should have showed a bit more Michael, after it was revealed he was TBL, instead of ending the show.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #85  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
Somebody should have told Sam he looked like a cop stripper in that getup.

My husband said the EXACT same thing. And who picked out those pink pants for Koli. UGH.

For whoever asked about Shay: She lost an additional 52 pounds, but they left the check blank again for the new challenge. Which is her and Jarred (from Subway) will be training to run a marathon in a few months and they will double her check.

She accepted. And she looked AWESOME! Her face is really coming out and she is going to be stunning when she is done. She's already pretty.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #86  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkedout View Post
My husband said the EXACT same thing. And who picked out those pink pants for Koli. UGH.

For whoever asked about Shay: She lost an additional 52 pounds, but they left the check blank again for the new challenge. Which is her and Jarred (from Subway) will be training to run a marathon in a few months and they will double her check.

She accepted. And she looked AWESOME! Her face is really coming out and she is going to be stunning when she is done. She's already pretty.
Thank you!! I have searched all morning to try to find out, figured worst case I would have to catch the replay on Friday on FLN. 52 pounds is really great!!! If I'm home on Friday I will catch what I missed, but won't worry now if I don't!

Oh and yeah I was thinking cop stripper too :-P
Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

re: Shay. Yes, drop dead gorgeous. I mean, she was pretty before, but I wasn't expecting her to look that beautiful. And I think she's working and doing normal stuff, so a 52 lb loss in 5 months is great!! But nice that she'll have a chance to double it by training for a marathon. She's already a lot lighter than Michael was when he did the BL one, so I think she'll do great.

I did think all the moms looked great, although Patti still has a weird belly thing, which makes me nervous because I'm an apple shape and I feel like I'm never going to loose my belly either. But for a bunch of women in their 50s and 60s (I think?), woohoo for all of them!

Drea was definitely a disappointment - only 8 lbs from the time she left the show until the finale. In comparison, Melissa left the week before and lost 32 lbs. (and I did think she looked great). Only Melissa, Miggy, Sherry and Koli made it into BMI-normal range.

I was a bit surprised about John and James still being as big. I mean, in the real world, their losses for this time period are fantastic, but in the world of the show, it seems like such a small loss. Hopefully, they will both keep going.

I was surprised they didn't weigh that one guy - Ali said he had lost about 150 lbs and he definitely looked a lot better but they had been promoting that he'd have a WI. I would have been willing to trade off one less time seeing Ashley fall off the treadmill in exchange! lol!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #88  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 View Post
I would have been willing to trade off one less time seeing Ashley fall off the treadmill in exchange! lol!
Yeah, and also I would not mind if they stopped saying about Daris that he never had a relationship and never had been kissed. Enough already!!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #89  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

Here's my random thoughts... Hope I remember everything!
(Disclaimer: these are my opinions and some may not be sugar-coated. When I say I don't like someone, it's not them as a person, it's what they came across as on my TV that I don't like.)

I was VERY HAPPY to see Ali's boobs covered up. When she has them hanging out it makes me feel uncomfortable the whole time watching the show, knowing my BF is drooling over her massive cleavage. Last night I got to watch without thinking about that. (Yeah I'm very insecure, so what?)

I can't stand Koli. SO happy when Daris beat him for the votes, I screamed "YES!" and "WHOOHOO!" a lot at the TV.

I was really surprised Shay didn't lose more. Then again I don't like her either, so maybe I'm just being mean.

I predicted that the twins would still be huge, and I was right. They seem like nice guys and I don't dislike them, but I could never understand how they got through casting. They have the personality of cardboard. No passion.

Drea was another personality-of-cardboard type to me, so I wasn't shocked to see that she didn't go further. Same lack of passion as the twins, tho maybe not as severe as them.

Really when Koli won the "At-Home" prize. Was he ACTUALLY AT HOME this time? Boo to him. I yelled bad words at the TV.

I love Ashley, Daris and Mike--So I didn't care who won as long as it was one of them. And it was, so YAY!

I'm sure I have many more thoughts, but that's enough for now
Old 05-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Felt the same way about Koli, m3rma1d...don't you have to be AT home to win the AT HOME prize? Not training with professional or wanna-be professional fighters and hiding from life?