The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #211  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

My guess is that Shay is not a custodial stepmom. Her husband may have an every other weekend custody thing. And I also think she plays the "woe is me" card too much. If I up and disappeared my step kids would go nuts! I went away for a weekend last year and I got hugs and kisses and I missed yous when I got back. There's no way she has them everyday and they didn't know where she went. I agree that she was very distant to those boys. Isn't she a social worker for her profession?

Her whole situation is fishy to me.

Last edited by Nella; 10-23-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #212  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

When someone has gotten by their entire LIFE with a "woe is me" attitude, and has been rewarded in whatever way they were seeking for it, then it takes a while to break out of it.

I truly hope Shay can get out of that mindset. I think they kept her around this week because she has the potential to lose more for them...

IMO...Daniel should've gone. I like HIM, but don't think he should've been given a second chance this season. He was doing it at home and should've been left there...his spot could've and should've gone to someone else in need of TBL's guidance. He'd already HAD the guidance and was equipped to take on weight loss in the real world...someone else who was turned down to give HIM the spot was not...
Old 10-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #213  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I like Daniel and I think as a young man he needs to be there too. he has only had a life of bad choices and need to learn to be an adult that makes good choices.

it stuck with me when he told Jillian, I wish I had loved my mom as much as she loved me. I hope he comes to relize "i wish i loved myself the way my mom loved me"
Old 10-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post
Maybe you are right about the majority's response, but when I'm in weight loss mode, this is exactly how I handle restaurants. No appetizers, no bread, no high carb veggies, no dessert. Grilled/broiled chicken or fish, green salad with balsamic vinegar dressing, steamed veggies - that's pretty much it.

Now, when I'm in maintenance mode, I can be much more relaxed about it. In maintenance, my calorie budget can handle an off-plan meal or two in a week, I just work around it. But if I am trying to drop weight, even ONE high-calorie day can derail my weight loss for the week. And, even when I'm intentionally going off plan, I'm conscious of the calories in what I'm eating. So many people out there just have no clue at all how much it all adds up.

So, maybe the trainers came across as being totally unreasonably strict with respect to restaurant food, but if the players are aiming to lose in a significant way, they have to be extremely strict. The show isn't trying to show a moderate 2 lb/week weight loss program .....
touche... a you're right. this is all for a competition so they must be extreme. I still got depressed for them, maybe I would have felt better about it if the trainers said "look, it's not always going to be like this. You will be able to have birthday cake at birthday, and some chips when you go out for Mexican food. But right now, we are doing this full-force and hardcore" everyone at that table just looked so morose!

Makes me wonder if Bill and Jillian always eat so clean/strict. I remember one of them saying when they want a cupcake, they eat 1/2 of one only.. that's good. And you're right, someone who mentioned that Jillian told Tara she can have a glass of wine, so that's good.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I agree with everyone about Shay and her stepsons. I noticed that there wasn't a lot of warmth there between them. It made me a little uncomfortable.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #216  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post
this about the nutrition. I'm sick of them pushing organic everything. You could really tell with Shay that buying organic was pinching pennies. I know that look she had when shopping - I get it every time because money is tight. Organic isn't the key to weight loss, and I wish they would quit preaching it.

As for the chicken breast with no salt and no oil with steamed veggies - about an average meal for me when I eat out. I might add in a baked potato, but that's about it. It's just the way I eat. I grew up on a cardiac low-fat diet because of my dad's health issues, and overall eat healthy.

I'm glad that you eat healthy and everything, but this whole idea of eating healthy is getting to be very elitist and narrowminded the way that I see it. Just because I'm putting olive oil on my veggies and chicken breast does not mean that you're eating healthy and I'm not... in fact I disagree completely and I believe that adding olive oil makes it even healthier than dry steamed food.

I simply cannot adopt this view on eating, I prefer a more european approach like the one stated in "French Women Don't Get Fat" where how you eat is just as important as what you eat. If cultures all around the world can enjoy cheese, wine, bread, and fruit and be healthy then I can also. I'm not going to buy into TBL's view on nutrition that forbids them from eating mangos and bananas because they're too high in calories. TBL really thinks that food is the enemy.

As for organic food, I buy organic when I can but I do it more for socio-economic reasons than just taste. I believe we all have the right to eat affordable organic food free of pestisides, and hopefully locally grown. The more people spend their dollars on organic food the more the demand will grow and result in lower costs. So one day when organic food is affordable and available to everyone you will be able to thank people like me who are willing to spend our hard-earned dollars now.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #217  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

It makes me wonder if the "Food is bad" mentality DRIVEN into the contestants' minds on the ranch is part of the reason so many of them regain weight after they leave.

I mean, some may be lucky enough or have access to a lot of healthy foods and/or a gym after they leave...but I would imagine a lot of them don't. So they go home and husband/wife wants pizza once a week, which isn't in the "no oil and steamed veggies" Biggest Loser plan. Sure they can resist for a while, but to me it's not realistic to do without these things always.

I love the show...but TBL almost brainwashes these people over all these weeks to ONLY eat certain things....and then when they leave and inevitably slip, even if only a little (they ARE human)...some are able to move past it and others just slide down the slope back into their old habits.

Just a thought...
Old 10-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #218  

S/C/G: 212/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

I agree. The one they always point out that gained the weight back....can't think of his name, but he was the red head season winner awhile back...they said he didn't "get it" and wasn't doing it for himself, etc. so that's why....but this guys job IRL was being a cook at a Deli...I mean come on. I've worked at restaurants over the years, and one of the perks is usually eating the food there. They had even showed a clip of him at work, and him saying it was hard to resist picking up a peice of bacon that he had to cook every day. That has got to be a rough situation...

....unless I'm totally wrong and he became some trainer after the show and just "fell off the wagon and binged" but I didn't keep track of what happened to him after the show.

~Suzie

everyone!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #219  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

just watched last week's..

it does seem odd that a couple of the families went out to eat at the places they did. I see Danny choosing to stay home payed off for him since he lost the most. Abby going home and they had a big buffet type thing out seemed odd Maybe when they say they have no support, that's what they meant...

I wonder what Daniel was doing that he gained.. didn't he lose nothing the week before? I guess it is his plateau since they didn't show him going off plan. He is more fit and has been at it longer then the other people also.

I'm surprised Shay isn't losing more. Usually the weight flies off at higher weights. it looks like she isn't close with the stepchildren and maybe her husband really isn't supportive judging how it looked when they went out to eat. Even though she is whiney, I'm hoping to see her make a transformation.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

This episode seems a bit over the top. Sorry, Jillian you're no therpist. I can't help feeling like she's bringing up their issues more for ratings than the contestants' benefits

Last edited by Aclai4067; 10-28-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #221  

just finished watching tonight's show...

Is anyone else thinking that Daniel has something going on medically? Something just isn't adding up with his weight loss.

As for the issues - I think they are trying to get them to work through them at the ranch, because it's much harder to try to work through things like that in the "real" world.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #222  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

My only question: When did Liz become SUCH a B!TCH??!!??!!??!!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #223  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
when Tracy split the teams up I think brought it out.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #224  
A double-chinned doctor.

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
NO KIDDING!!!

I was wondering if anyone else was thinking this.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #225  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

I was in tears for Abby at the end. She is one brave and loving women, I am glad she is helping others like herself.
And the crazy B^%$h is still there!!