The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 12-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #406  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Liz doesn't bother me like she used to. I never had a problem with her speaking her mind. I had a problem with her always making excuses, and I think she's pulled away from that a lot. But I think I'll still vote for Amanda though. I want Danny to take the win!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #407  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

I hope Danny wins it! He really nailed it last night. I think he could use some muscle bulk though. I don't like Liz, hope she gets voted off.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #408  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Yes, I thought Danny looked...well, not extremely healthy. He IS very handsome but I was concerned by how wide his midsection is (in comparison to his upper body). I agree, though, that it's skin. And Rudy's wife IS super hot!

I'd like to see Rudy, Amanda or Danny win; though, I'm not 100% behind anyone at this point.

I was surprised by Tara's size but she does seem to be happy and that's great. And it was nice to see the girl that Amanda was up against for "America's vote" (going blank on her name). She looks fantastic! I have to admit that Bob made me laugh when he was quick to defend Amanda when he said something similar to, "Well, yeah, Amanda's doing it at home right now, too!". It just seemed that he was trying to prop up Amanda to the other girl. :P

I can't wait to see how wonderful everyone looks next week! So exciting!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #409  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I love the finale! I always cry the whole way through.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #410  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

How do you vote? I looked on the website and couldn't find anything. Do you have to text in or something?

Cali Doll- The girl Amanda went up against for America's Choice was Erin (I voted for Erin)

Last edited by Aclai4067; 12-02-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #411  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Im so so so excited for the finale! Im sure everyone is going to look great though! I actually hope Danny wins it! Im not really excited about anyone left but Im totally off of Rudy since they whole thing with Rebecca. I would be happy with the other 3 winning.

Rudy def kicked butt running the whole 26 miles though! I have to say I was impressed with them all. Danny was really struggling and Im glad he made it. I couldnt believe he lost 59 pound in 2 months. Holy cow did my mouth drop! haha Rudy def looked a bit jealous but I dont know if it was jealousy because he wanted the same loss for scale reasons or if it just made him really nervous that he may not win at the finale.

Wardhog, I cry every episode and most of the time several times. That show just brings out my emotional side because I want it sooo bad too! My SO thinks its funny...hmph. lol
Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #412  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeypnd View Post
I was watching last night episode with my hubby and when he saw how much Danny lost in two months he turned to me and was like, "isn't it unhealthy to lose that much weight that fast?" and I was like yeah I think
They were losing faster than that on the ranch. It just sounds like more because it was for two months. And I agree, I don't think it is healthy.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #413  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I made this comment after the last season -- but it kinda bothers me that they push these contestants to do a full marathon. I'm a runner, I've DONE a full marathon (after many months of training!) and I know how much preparation it really should take. Sure, these guys have all kinds of support around them, they are closely monitored, they can take as long as they need to, etc. It's not like a real event where you have to meet certain pace goals or you're pulled out.

It just sets up an unrealistic expectation that anyone can go out and in 5 months go from couch potato to full marathon. There are so many newbie runners that get started, join a charity group, and get all pumped up to do a full marathon. Then what often happens is they ramp up mileage TOO fast, before their bodies can get conditioned to the stresses, and end up injured. (In TBL, both times, you saw contestants struggling with hurting knees, hips, etc - that's overuse injury, too many miles, too quickly) Even if they finish the marathon, many end up burned out on running and never do it again. It's just not healthy.

But then, losing 200 pounds in a few months isn't realistic either! It's not about realism, is it? And not to take anything away from their accomplishment, because finishing something like that IS huge. It just bugs me, that's all.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #414  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
How do you vote? I looked on the website and couldn't find anything. Do you have to text in or something?
Voting was on the website, but was only open until 3pm (I believe) on 12-02.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #415  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I am getting irritated too with all the "commercials" during the show..before the commercials...

I am sick of "AMERICAS CHOICE"...but I bet they are making Amanda say it..

glad to see the loser of "Americas Choice" got some help...

MBN, Angie and I trained 6 months to walk a marathon at 13 minute mile pace...we agree completely and have said the same thing to each other.

Not a perfect show but all in all...I think it gets people excited and they see they may be able to "just do it!" too!

It kind of looks to me like the contestants get go from highest weight to their lowest during the show...then adjust somewhere in between...

That's about what I have done...201 to 170 now at 185-188...

sound familiar?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #416  
Token Vulcan

Just for fun, I did some number crunching for approximate percentages lost (thanks to wikipedia, lol) and this is where the final four now stand:

Danny: 47%
Rudy: 43%
Liz: 32%
Amanda: 32%

Liz and Amanda are literally a fraction apart.

For Amanda to catch up to where Danny is now, she'll have to get to at least 132 and she ended the semi-final at 170. Half of Danny and he would be at 215, very doable for him and even beyond. I don't think Amanda has that much in her to lose in that amount of time...but I said the same thing about Helen, lol.

I do think it's gonna be the guys' game to win. Hard to predict between them. Rudy seemed like the frontrunner with Danny trailing him, but now it's reversed. Danny seems the most committed, or the most able to make the time to do what he needs to do before the finale. He may not have Rudy's strength or stamina but he's def getting it done.

I just got my copy of Health magazine and it dawned on me, since Valerie Bertinelli is on the cover....she and Liz are the same age! Hard to wrap the mind around that one.

BTW, it was cool to see Sean at Danny's homecoming.

P.S. I never voted at the finale last year for either blonde. I couldn't tell them apart and didn't care. I wish they would stop making it sound like America has this huge investment in Amanda. People voted between two girls they never laid eyes on before. Somebody had to win. It wasn't the Presidential election, for crying out loud.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 12-03-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #417  

S/C/G: 242/in progress/132?

Height: 5' 7"

As for running a marathon, check out THIS article:
http://www.journalpioneer.com/index....=303550&sc=118

The 47 year old mother of 4 RAN a full marathon with no marathon training whatsoever. She trained for a 10km WALK and was taken to the start line of the marathon by accident. After the driver refused to take her to the 10k start line, she set off on the freaking marathon with a heavy backpack and a friend. Yup, she not only finished but posted a 6 hour 48 minute time.

Isn't it amazing what one can accomplish if one just believes!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #418  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post
P.S. I never voted at the finale last year for either blonde. I couldn't tell them apart and didn't care. I wish they would stop making it sound like America has this huge investment in Amanda. People voted between two girls they never laid eyes on before. Somebody had to win. It wasn't the Presidential election, for crying out loud.
LOL! Exactly!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #419  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm surprised at Liz's age, as I was with Helen last season. These ladies don't look like they're in their late 40's, I'm sorry to say. I will be their age in 15 years and I'm still getting carded when I go out. Could I possibly look as old and haggard as they do in merely 15 years time? I hope not! My Mom is a decade older than them and looks younger than they do for sure.

Why do these gals look so old? Am I the only one who thinks this?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #420  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

I am 45 and I sure hope I don't look as old as they do. I don't think so!