The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #361  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC View Post
I can't wait for tonight's show and tomorrow's "where are they now" special episode.
Me Too.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #362  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

well I missed the first 40 min, but caught the tail end of the challenge. I think carrying what they've lost is an awesome challenge. It really pushes home how much they've done.
On that topic, I realized today I can't even bench press what I've lost so far. (It's kinda simultaneously awesome that I've lost that much and sad that I can't bench that much)

Last edited by Aclai4067; 11-24-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #363  
Token Vulcan

I thought tonight's show was pretty boring and so repetitive...I mean, I counted Amanda saying "the yellow line for me if I fall is the red line" 3 times. She and Liz sound like broken records to me at this point. Football...zzzzzzzz. I dunno, I'm just meh about these guys. I am kind of favoring Danny to win but mostly because I don't really care for the others but it's still just "meh." And since when are Liz and Amanda close? It reminded me of Tara wanting to keep Helen at her side...and Helen ended up trouncing Tara at the finale. "America's choice" better watch out.

Did anybody notice the sign behind Bob with his "Words, words, words. Just shut up and do it." Guess they cleaned out the f-bombs from that little snippet he said to Joelle.

Interesting that they didn't bring any eliminated contestants back this time. LOL, this season is so much shorter than the last one but feels longer.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #364  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

I laughed when I saw Bob's quote in the background!

I think Amanda's decision was stupid to keep Liz but oh well. I agree with you trekkie, I don't really feel for any of the contestants. Just...meh....and I wonder why last season was 17 weeks and they didn't continue that? I'm looking forward to the 'where are they now' special tonight though!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #365  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC View Post
I can't wait for tonight's show and tomorrow's "where are they now" special episode.
I've seen pics of Erik that make me think that he's gained most- if not all, back. I wonder about the others?
Me too! I was wondering when they would do one of these shows. Losing is hard but maintaining is the real challenge. I also think Matt (season 1) has gained a bit back too. I say a pic of him and Suzie (she's had two kids since then) but they both looked pretty plump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post
I thought tonight's show was pretty boring and so repetitive...
Interesting that they didn't bring any eliminated contestants back this time. LOL, this season is so much shorter than the last one but feels longer.
I have to agree. I love the show and watch faithfully but this has def been the most boring season. I don't really feel connected to anyone. The people I liked and thought would have made for a more interesting show got voted off early. I was sorry to see Allen go was hoping he would win. Now I really don't care who wins. I am rooting more for the ones at home to bring home that prize.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #366  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I found myself fast fowarding through parts of the show and watching the Black Friday commercials...

Amanda was dumb to get rid of Allen. But at this point how can Rudy lose? He's my least favorite by far. Wasn't he below the yellow line once, many weeks ago? I remember thinking then (unless I dreamed the whole thing) that they needed to get rid of him IMMEDIATELY, or they'd regret it. And they will.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #367  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I found myself fast fowarding through parts of the show and watching the Black Friday commercials...
Old 11-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #368  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

I agree this season has been fairly boring. I don't have anyone that I'm really rooting for. I liked Allen but now that he's gone I'm just whatever.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #369  

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Last night's Where are they now? episode was pretty good.
Seeing Erik had gained almost all of his weight back was sad, Bob challenged him to weigh-in at the season 9 finale, so he has a new goal to work on.
It also proves out the idea that I've heard over and over regarding maintence - it doesn't look a whole lot different than the way you ate/exercized to get there!
Old 11-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #370  
Token Vulcan

Who was that couple at the alumni dinner...chubby lady in red and the guy next to her with the tie?

Interesting how many of the winners and finalists gained about 20-30 pounds back above their finale weights, to where they seem to have stabilized--Mike, Tara, Mark, Helen...

Mark--still swoonable. Still one of my faves.

Phil looks years younger.

Roger was on Jay Leno and he's on NBC's bonus video--he's packed more than a few back on.

Have to hand it to Ali Vincent--she's managed to stay within 3 pounds of her finale weight. She's probably got the most pressure on her, too, she's really become one of the faces of TBL...literally, with the product plugging and all.

If you go to youtube and search for Biggest Loser Triathlon from this year there are more. Ed's gained some back, Heba's gained quite a bit back. Blaine looks great.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #371  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

Height: 5'7"

This is my first season watching but I'm hooked. I hope Erik does it. It's a journey that speaks to all of us who've lost a large amount of weight only to find it again. I imagine there are a lot of folks like me pulling for him this time around.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #372  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I've been a fan for many of the seasons. It's great to watch this season having come within "inches" of my goal.

I'm very bored with the product placements, set up conversations, and guests that don't even have anything to do with weight loss. Suze Orzman has so much about herself, I'm gettting sick of her. I'm a huge fan of Money Track (PBS). Jillian has gone over to the bad side and I really am so disappointed. I've been easily hitting the hay before the end of the show. It's great for me because I wake up so early in the morning to exercise. If I stay up until 10, I'll struggle to jump out of bed.

As for Eric, I was watching him work out on my exercise video just yesterday morning (Biggest Loser Cardio Max). I giggle because he can't get the pace Kim Lyons is setting for a single leg racer exercise. I hope he can turn the corner and find his own balance. It's such a struggle for me, that I am going to watch the finale for him. Best wishes to his efforts.

I'm wondering if I'll make it to another season. Too bad. I feel so much inspiration when I have a program like this working along with efforts to be healthy and fit. I have been lucky to occassionally see the Dr. Oz show. Seems good.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #373  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

It seems like they just keep getting heavier and heavier contestants in order to lose lots of weight quickly, but there just isn't enough time for them to get down to normal weight before the end of the show. I like it better when they use smaller people who can get to goal more quickly.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #374  
Token Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Angel View Post
It seems like they just keep getting heavier and heavier contestants in order to lose lots of weight quickly, but there just isn't enough time for them to get down to normal weight before the end of the show. I like it better when they use smaller people who can get to goal more quickly.
True. Last season the on-campus weight loss was more dramatic because the season was so long. We saw it happen. This season, guys like Rudy and Danny are still pretty big...and had they stayed, Shay and Sean would still be pretty big as well. But, I think they have more time from the time they all went home (I think they all went home before the season even started airing) until the finale, so I'm guessing we're gonna be pretty surprised with either or both of these guys' losses...assuming we don't see and hear all on Jay Leno before the finale.

Would be cool if they made Danny's song a theme for the finale.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 11-28-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #375  

how about julie hadden? she's been able to stay within 5 pounds of her goal weight. she and ali vincent have both written books about their weight loss. julie's book just came out this week. the biggest disappointment has been erik chopin-winner of bl3. he gained nearly all of the weight he lost back. i saw him on bl-where are they now on wednesday night. bob surprised. you could tell that bob was !@#$%^ off by listening to erik's half !@#$% excuses.