The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 04-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #496  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I didn't get to see ANY of the show! It was taken over by a telethon...grrrr....

So whining cousin #1 is gone? Yay! Now if we could get rid of the other one and Ron....
Old 04-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #497  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

This show is schizophrenic. On the one hand, it's all amoral & rah-rah: "Win the game! Entertainment! Great TV!" On the other hand, it's deeply sanctimonious: "Get healthy! Know thyself! Teach others to be healthy, too!"

Ron embodies that problem. Last night, his vindictiveness scared me. He said he wanted people who voted him off to die. That appalled me. In fact, I don't like Mike so much anymore, either, and I had taken quite a shine to him in recent weeks. Now I see them as a package deal & I can't separate them. If Mike wins, I'll think of that scheming father of his standing in the background smiling with pride -- a visual that I don't particularly want to carry away from the final episode with all the happiness & flying confetti.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #498  
Token Vulcan

I thought Helen was especially two-faced yesterday, telling Laura she thought of her and Tara as daughters. Is that why she was cheering on Sione in the challenge? Is that why she ate a cookie against Tara and nearly called her the b word on camera? GMAB. And, btw, Helen allowed her daughter to go home (twice) instead of herself so telling someone she thinks of her as a daughter isn't saying much.

Filipe (and Sione, to a lesser degree) is a bully. I am really sick of these players getting so indignant with one another about gameplay as if they are not doing any of it themselves! How is Filipe's putting Kristin on the spot during their walk any different than what Ron said to her about saving him? Yeah, Filipe, go ahead and "get violent" again.

Kristin had another "awakening" yesterday. Methinks she's building up her video resume'.

I actually cheered 3 times during the show last night. Laura getting the golden ticket. Tara beating Sione. Sione going home.

Loved the visit from Jerry & Colleen.

I could say a thing or two about the ethnic slur in the whole Ron as Godfather stuff but I'll skip it.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #499  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

Ethnic slur? The only reason I think of Ron as the godfather is because of the way he acts, it reminds me of the old movie. He will do whatever to whomever and it is okay but if somebody does something to him, watch out! I don't know what ethnicity he is and it doesn't matter. He is just not being nice, at all. Just the other week he was saying that Felipe had to go home and Sione pleaded his case to get Ron not to vote for him! Last week Felipe and Sione voted against Ron and it was just the end of the world. Ron telling ANYBODY to die is just the lowest of lows. That is one thing you should NEVER say to anybody no matter how hurt you are. My jaw just literally dropped when those words came out of his mouth. I have no respect for him or his son.
Also, I liked Sione better than Felipe. I would have rather him stay and Felipe leave.
I absolutely love Tara and Laura. I really hope one of them win.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #500  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

I have to say that I am really pushing for Tara now. I feel like all the issues that she caused early on are greatly over-shadowed by the drama that has been going on over the past few weeks. I'm hoping that the final four come down to Kristin, Tara, Laura and Mike. Mike is my last choice, and I don't like the idea of his dad getting satisfaction out of it, but at the same time, look at what Mike has done. His Dad may be a scheming prick, but Mike has kept himself on the ranch by working hard and losing weight. Which, isn't that the point of the show? I can't wait for Helen, Ron and Filipe to be gone because I feel like the show will be so much better without them constantly talking about "the game." I know the others talk about "the game" too, but it just doesn't seem as evil from them, it seems like they're just trying to protect themselves so they can stay on the ranch and lose the weight. Yes, I'm rambling. Oh, I think Ron should get some kind of reprimand for wishing people to die, it's borderline on threatening and WAY TOO extreme.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #501  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I wish they would do a season where the lowest percentage goes home. end. of. story. If you can't make the numbers then you shouldn't be there. No immunities. Maybe you could win a pound in a challenge or choose to give someone else a pound.

Last nights temptation sickened me. Tara ate more than 4000 calories for nothing IMO. I liked those temptations much better when they all stood together and didn't eat a thing.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #502  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I thought Ron's comments about the cousins could "die" for voting for him were a bit over the top. He acted like it was a moral sin for them to vote against him. failure to "do the RIGHT thing".

Last nights show spent WAAAAAAY too much time on the game play. YAAAAWN.

I'm kind of sad Sione is gone. I cant stand Filipe, but I like Sione. Although I am glad Helen made it to the makeover show - people talk about Kristen's skunk stripe hair, but Helens hair is the worst imo.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #503  

My husband had a question, and I didn't know how to answer it....

Didn't Ron have lapband surgery? Obviously it didn't help him, for whatever reason...but would his weight loss NOW have anything to do with the fact that he's had the surgery? Not sure how that works, really. He just asked and I couldn't answer...I missed the first few shows of the season.

Just curious...
Old 04-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #504  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
My husband had a question, and I didn't know how to answer it....

Didn't Ron have lapband surgery? Obviously it didn't help him, for whatever reason...but would his weight loss NOW have anything to do with the fact that he's had the surgery? Not sure how that works, really. He just asked and I couldn't answer...I missed the first few shows of the season.

Just curious...
He had weight loss surgery a few yrs ago and I don't think he lost any weight.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #505  
Learning and burning

S/C/G: HW350ish/SW290/CWticker/GW165

Height: 5'8'

It is my understanding that Ron had gastric bypass, and he lost about 90 pounds which he did keep off. His highest weight was over 500 pounds, and he started the show at 430.

I have always been a fan of Ron, just because of his unwillingness to throw in the towel despite so very many physical challenges. But what he said about the cousins is pretty horrible. I'll have a hard time getting over that.

Last edited by dini22; 04-09-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #506  
tripping along the path

S/C/G: 286/276/180

Height: 5'6

I am not sure how many of the people who are left are there to lose weight and not play a game.

Everyone will have to go home eventually. I cant believe Ron said that people should die.....that shows what kind of person he is in my opinion. Wishing death on someone is as low as you can get. And then HE talks about Karma? ohhh the irony!

I really wanted Mike to win in the beginning but not because of his dad, because he made a life change and learned how to eat and work out. I really dont know who to root for of the remaining contestants.

They should have brought someone back that I could root for and like...like maybe Carla or Daniel lol. If Ron wins, I will be very disappointed. He has had many chances, imo, to turn his life around and has blown them all. I dont even feel he is working as hard as the others at the ranch.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #507  

I sort of get the impression Ron isn't working as hard too, ladywinter...that's why I wondered about if his losses were as a result of his eating habit now along with the surgery in the past...but I wasn't sure how all that worked.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #508  
tripping along the path

S/C/G: 286/276/180

Height: 5'6

Well I have a few close friends and relatives who have had various stomach surgeries and some lost weight and maintained and well.....to be blunt..my aunt is on her way back up to her 500lbs.....So you would think with Ron having had that if they put him on any kind of weight loss diet that it would come off of him faster....also was it me or did he not even try in the stair challenge? I saw no hussle with him at all.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #509  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

HE knows he cant win the challenges so he doesnt even try.

They said something about his metabolism had basically crashed, but now it is getting back to the metabolism of a normal contestant.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #510  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
HE knows he cant win the challenges so he doesnt even try.

that thinking is what got him over 500 lbs. in the first place. Well I can't do it so I won't even try. I have a brother who is over 500 lbs. and that is exactly his attitude. It's too hard so I won't even try. Very frustrating!

Last edited by maryshady; 04-10-2009 at 01:32 PM.