The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 03-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #391  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Kristen could not choose Ron because he was the "biggest loser" for the week and could not be voted out. I was suprised that she voted for her mom, though. Even if she knew that Ron and Aubrey were going to, I'd have thought she would put someone else's name down.

Based on Tara's reaction, I don't think she water loaded this week! She was in breakdown mode. Did you guys see Filipe bunching his fists behind Jillian when Jillian was telling Tara "I'm the trainer, I'm good at this, listen to me!"?

I was suprised that everyone (except Ron) fininshed the 13 miles so closely to the times that Sione and Tara had. And, why in the world did they have the sisters run outside at the end and run through the snow to the finish line? I thought Aubrey was going to go down!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #392  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I think everyone finished the half marathon, except Ron but even he did something. Ron wasn't an option to ote for because he had immunity and Kristin only followed her mothers wishes, nothing wrong with that at all. She was going either way. I hope that when and if the Black team loses a weigh in, that they can vote off at least 1 of the 2 traitors, they are being over dramatic drama queens and and if I was Jillian, I would have to go to a real immature point not have held their shirts for them. I really hope Tara finds some middle ground and she is going to break. Jillian was completely correct in telling tara she needs to listen to her.

Did anyone else cry when Ron and Mike went home? With the reaction to the other son? i did
Old 03-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #393  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Quote:
Based on Tara's reaction, I don't think she water loaded this week! She was in breakdown mode.
Tara has been on a plateau for the last two weeks plus she is building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. By next week, she should have a good weight loss. When I was at the end of my weight loss, I would stay on a plateau for 11 days at a time. Then I'd drop a couple of pounds, go right back on a plateau for 11 days. I documented this on my weight graph so I know how frustrating this is. Tara still has a lot of weight to lose, she needs to shake up her routine. Jillian is right about Tara's determination and over-exercising, I wish she'd listen to her. Maybe after the last two disasterous weigh-ins, she will.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #394  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Oh, I didn't realize about the immunity for Ron...my husband drives me NUTS by fast forwarding through anything on the show involving emotion, so I miss a lot....
Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #395  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I can't stop thinking about Jillian's interview last night when she talked about Tara's stalled weight loss. I wish I could question her further or hear her elaborate on what she said. Some of her phrasing was interesting. She said that Tara was "overtraining" and "overthinking," and that she has become "almost manic" in her determination to exercise.

For me, personally, this brought about a moment of self-recognition. The last time I successfully lost weight, I ended up regaining partly because I burned out on exercise. My impulse was to take another class, add to my routine, increase reps, go longer. Finally, I created a routine that was simply unsustainable because its rigidity & the amount of time it took interfered with other interests & activities going on in my life. It would have curtailed my growth socially & intellectually, though I might have ended up a fine physical specimen. I ended up jettisoning the whole thing. (I wish I had kept up with a scaled-back version, which would have limited the regain, but there's that all-or-nothing thinking for you.) I ended up with bulimia, and my purging method was overexercising, rather than vomiting. I was always assigning myself more workout time to compensate for bingeing.

This also made me worry about Tara. Is she nearly in the grip of some sort of compulsion or disorder? I want to see her do well. Her determination, her will & her heart have really moved me.

Helen eating a cookie against Tara confirms my prejudice against that sneaky bleached blonde. That Helen is bad news.

When the weigh-in ended, I thought Aubrey was a goner for sure. I thought the triumvirate of Ron, Kathy and Kristin would all huddle together. I never anticipated Kathy would step forward and offer herself instead. I misjudged her.

Last edited by saef; 03-18-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #396  
Girl Gone Strong

I also want to add that I think this was my favorite episode of The Biggest Loser this season.

So much to think about ... the family members at home, so many of them also obese. Aubrey's moment with her father. That's something else that I can't shake this morning: Aubrey pleading with her father.

Last edited by saef; 03-18-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #397  
tripping along the path

S/C/G: 286/276/180

Height: 5'6

Personally I hope Mike wins it all. He has had to put up with his father and with a lot of pressure. He has a good heart and the best attitude in my opinion.

I dont like that Tara was willing to throw her supposed friend Laura under the bus. Tara did not seem very encouraging to laura unless you count encouraging laura to think she is dead weight. With friends like that I dont need enemies. I dont like Helen. I think she is very manipulative as well as Kristin.

Mike seems to be there to lose weight while still managing to keep a good head on his shoulders. I hope that doesnt change.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #398  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow650 View Post
Did anyone else cry when Ron and Mike went home? With the reaction to the other son? i did
YES! I did get misty. It was so upsetting to see how left out or "bad" other brother felt when he saw the transformation. But good for him, I think he wants it for himself now too. Would have been interesting to know why the 2 brothers didn't go on the show instead of Ron, who is so injured. THey would have made a great combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
When I was at the end of my weight loss, I would stay on a plateau for 11 days at a time. Then I'd drop a couple of pounds, go right back on a plateau for 11 days. I documented this on my weight graph so I know how frustrating this is.
Do you have this graph posted anywhere? I'm always interested in seeing what other people have lived thru while I go thru my own struggles. Thanks!

Did anyone else think it was hugely unfair that some people got to run on an inside, cushioned track, while some people were out on the blacktop? It does make a huge difference in your stamina and with Sione's muscle pull, I bet he might not have gotten that indoors. It just didn't seem like an even playing field - I think they should have found indoor/cushioned surfaces for Sione/F and Laura too. I don't know how hot it was in the desert with S/F, but for Laura, even in Miami in December it could have been warmer than a perfect 72 plus humid. Running indoors for some and outdoors for other - not fair, imo.

Last edited by sportmom; 03-18-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #399  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I understand that Ron got immunity, but he has controlled what is going on in that team from day one. He decides who should go home each week - especially last week. Yes, he lost alot this week, but up to that point, he hasn't carried or helped the team at all. I know he needs to be there, but so do many others.

I thought what Helen did was really uncalled for and just cruel to Tara. Tara works her butt off and deserved that money, more than the 'whinny baby.'

Just my two cents.......was a good show and I do think all finished the race except Ron. I don't think they ran the whole race though - many probably ran and walked.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #400  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Yea Willow, I was crying like a baby when Mike went home and his brother broke down. Maybe this will motivate him...hopefully!

I can totally understand why Kristin voted against her mother. She knew the other two were, so her mom was going to go regardless, if she would have voted differently, there could be potential back-lash. Kristin is getting better at playing the game.

I really hope Mike or Kristin win. I know everyone likes Tara and she seems to be a favorite, but she has not always been fat...ya know? She was a (plus size)model, she was "normal" for a long time. You have to wonder "WHY" she got so big. Sometimes I think she gained all her weight just to be on the show. Not only for the money, but to rejuvenate her career. She has lost a lot of weight, and I thought it was odd that last night she didn't seem happy to at least make it into "Onederland". Most of us would be jumping for joy for that milestone, but it was a non issue for her...weird.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 03-18-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #401  
Girl Gone Strong

Someone told me that Tara was a "plus size" model, Lori, so maybe she has been fat for a long time.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #402  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
I can totally understand why Kristin voted against her mother. She knew the other two were, so her mom was going to go regardless, if she would have voted differently, there could be potential back-lash. Kristin is getting better at playing the game.
Not in my opinion. Kristen and her mom (who I both love) could have forced a tie. They could have both voted for Aubrey and since Aubrey and Ron voted for Cathy the black team would have then had to come in and break the tie.
At least that way Cathy would have had a shot of staying another week.
If I had of been Kristen I would have pulled my mom away and talked to her privately before the vote since I don't like the way Ron seems to be controlling the blue team.

I was happy he lost 10 pounds whiole at home but it was too bad he had immunity this week. He needs to go home now and help his other son. Mike can do fine at the ranch without him.

And don't get me started on Aubrey eating two cookies and not coming clean with that. Grrrr. Have they NOT learned *anything* being at the ranch?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #403  
I believe in myself

S/C/G: 257/200/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow650 View Post
I think everyone finished the half marathon, except Ron but even he did something. Ron wasn't an option to ote for because he had immunity and Kristin only followed her mothers wishes, nothing wrong with that at all. She was going either way. I hope that when and if the Black team loses a weigh in, that they can vote off at least 1 of the 2 traitors, they are being over dramatic drama queens and and if I was Jillian, I would have to go to a real immature point not have held their shirts for them. I really hope Tara finds some middle ground and she is going to break. Jillian was completely correct in telling tara she needs to listen to her.

I did too. Maybe seeing his brother and dad will motivate him more to do what they're doing.
About Tara, I think she's stalling weight wise now because she's lost such big numbers from the beginning. It was bound to happen. And Tara does need to listen to Jillian. I also thought the same about Jillian when Philippe and his cousin handed her their shirts to go weigh in, that she should have turned around and gave them to Bob. lol
I knew when Blue team lost that it would be the mom going home. That she'd insist on it.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #404  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Oh yeah, the shirts thing reminded me of the biggest slam. When Felipe got off the scale and went to Bob for the hug, virtually leaving Jillian there standing with open arms. That was bad.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #405  
I believe in myself

S/C/G: 257/200/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianwoman View Post
And don't get me started on Aubrey eating two cookies and not coming clean with that. Grrrr. Have they NOT learned *anything* being at the ranch?

I was wondering why they only added 5 minutes instead of 15. I thought I'd missed something cause I got busy with my kids. So she just didn't fess up about it? Wow.