The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #361  

S/C/G: 174/see ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I just don't understand the loyalty to a team you were on for a few weeks and now aren't. Are all the folks who are former blues on black team now going to vote blue down the road? I don't get it. Align with people who make you strong. Who does Ron make strong? Nobody. He's watching out for Mikey. He's the weakest link on the current blue team, and yet he continues to call the shots. He's making it so they will have to cannibalize the original blue team members because they can't win a weigh-in, even after the devastating affects of the luxury reward. You want your team to be strong so you don't have to go to elimination and vote off someone else. Am I wrong?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #362  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

Okay, first, good job Mike on the weight loss...

Second, Ron needs to go and the blue team is stupid.

Third, the black team is stupid too.

Fourth, Filipe needs to look in the mirror because he messed HIMSELF UP!!!

Fifth, I have been going back and forth as to whether or not I want to watch the show anymore since the eliminations are stupid and there really is no competition anymore. I enjoy watching them change, but if the show was really about a weight loss competition, Ron would no longer be on it.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #363  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

By the way, I find the episode recaps at this site really amusing. The author uses a fair bit of foul language so be warned. Funny though

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/the-biggest-loser-1/recaps.php
Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #364  
Token Vulcan

Seriously, I hope Tara and Mike make it to the finale...the others I don't really care.

Ron is gaming for his son, not for his team. On the one hand, blue team is stupid for voting off their better competitors this early and then whining about losing challenges afterwards. On the other hand, they are justified in 2 beliefs: 1) people are still in original Jillian vs Bob's team mindsets and purple team knows they would have been outnumbered if they hadn't taken out Dane and one of the sisters and 2) Ron is no threat to anybody, blue or black. If they don't go to singles soon, Kristen will be the last blue member left, because they'll vote off Aubrey, then Ron, then Kathy would give it up for her daughter. On the other hand, if it does go to singles before that happens, everybody else will vote for whoever Ron is up against, in an effort to eliminate the better competitors first. I mean, keeping Ron for the finale increases the other finalists' chances of winning.

I was never that crazy about Mandi but 2 things...how dare Ron walk in and announce it was Mandi's turn to go, done deal. This week he thinks Aubrey can't do it at home but I'm sure at the next elimination he'll say, yes, Aubrey can do it at home. But kudos to Mandi. She was the last holdout against a tough competitor like Tara and she walked out of there on her own terms. But why didn't anybody get up to hug her goodbye? And Ron essentially saying he can't do it at home, why not? He's had over 2 months on campus, and he'll eventually have Mike to push and encourage him. I mean, I can understand he's got something in his psyche making him feel this way (the same thing that's obviously shaped his life, weight-wise) but at some point, he has to focus on what he needs to do, not for a show, not for his son, but for himself, or he's going to end up right back where he started.

Filipe - I've been ready for him to go for weeks. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening for a while yet. If they stay in this team mode much longer (and the cousins don't end up back on Bob's team), Tara needs to win immunity or she is going to be the first or the second picked off. Tara's gonna have to be another Ali Vincent to hold on. Speaking of which, I read that we will see Ali and Michelle taking over for Alison in the next couple of weeks.

I can understand the irritation with Kristen. There's some pomposity that comes through in those comments of hers, like everything she says is right. And, for all we know, her "medical issue" could have been TOM. Ditto for Mandi's weight gain.

I can see why they are auditioning new trainers. Bob & Jillian both look like they need a break.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 03-11-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #365  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I knew that either Mandi or Aubrey was going to get voted off because our local news kept talking about the sisters (who live here) being in the spotlight. Annoyed me that they would make such a big deal about it because it certainly gave it away for me.

When they interviewed Mandi for the news last night, she looked great, even better than the blurb about her at the end of TBL. And she knows she was considered the whiny, emotional one--she mentioned it in the local news interview and tried to explain how hard it was at the ranch, physically and emotionally, working out 8 hours a day and eating 1,000 calories or less (her words).
Old 03-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #366  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I've about decided it's not a problem with authority for Felipe & Sione...it's a problem with a WOMAN in a position of authority. They don't respect Jillian as a trainer because she's a woman. They've got no issues working out with Bob.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #367  

Other players have switched trainers before when Kim was there a player named Amy who switched to Jillian.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #368  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post
Ron is gaming for his son, not for his team. On the one hand, blue team is stupid for voting off their better competitors this early and then whining about losing challenges afterwards. ...If they don't go to singles soon, Kristen will be the last blue member left, because they'll vote off Aubrey, then Ron, then Kathy would give it up for her daughter. On the other hand, if it does go to singles before that happens, everybody else will vote for whoever Ron is up against, in an effort to eliminate the better competitors first. I mean, keeping Ron for the finale increases the other finalists' chances of winning.
OK....so here is the thing. Does Ron think Mike can beat Kristin? Aubrey is certainly less of a threat What I would be thinking if I were Ron.

The purple ladies have said they have a voting block with Ron. Ron has been mum on that. He keeps touting the patron saint of who can lose at home. He's calculating whatever he can to give Mike the best odds.

The purple ladies have been alternating water loading. Is Kristin due a bad week? My thought is if Aubrey wins immunity...Ron will try to band together with Aubrey to push Kristin out but in that scenario Aubrey would probably push Ron out because she isnt a good game player. The Dane thing proved that. So if Aubrey has immunity next week (or the next time Blue goes below), Ron is gone

If Kristin was lower than Aubrey next week, I think he might say it was Kristins turn to go home (he can justify it EXACTLY how he justified Mandi) Kristin & Cathy would vote Aubrey, and maybe in that scenario Aubrey could get talked in to voting for Kristin as the only way to save herself. However the random rules of tie breaking seem to work that might send Kristin home eliminating one of the bigger threats to Mike. (The lower percentage I thought was the rule, and black would certainly send K home. Now a few seasons ago the biggest loser had an extra vote so that would skew everything) He'll only propose it if he thinks he can pull it off. Not if K would win a tie breaker because then he is toast.

The bigger question is the black team. If they go below do they think they are close enough to singles to vote out someone strong like Tara or dead weight in the challenges like Laura. I'd keep Tara because I'm not sure if she has enough to lose to win it all.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #369  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
working out 8 hours a day and eating 1,000 calories or less (her words).
Wow, so much for your body going into starvation mode if you don't eat enough and then hanging ON to pounds... Hmmm. I guess bc of the amount they are working out that they are immune from that?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #370  
Token Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
OK....so here is the thing. Does Ron think Mike can beat Kristin? Aubrey is certainly less of a threat What I would be thinking if I were Ron...My thought is if Aubrey wins immunity...Ron will try to band together with Aubrey to push Kristin out but in that scenario Aubrey would probably push Ron out because she isnt a good game player. The Dane thing proved that. So if Aubrey has immunity next week (or the next time Blue goes below), Ron is gone
Hmmm...but in that scenario, do you think Aubrey would vote for Ron? She didn't vote for him when it was Dane, she put Kristen's name instead. Maybe Aubrey would feel badly about the idea of voting off somebody in Ron's condition. Or maybe, she would simply perceive Kristen as the bigger threat to herself and get rid of her, and break up the mother/daughter team in the process, since they always vote identically anyway. I could imagine in that scenario of Aubrey having immunity that Kristen and Kathy would be forced to vote for Ron, Aubrey going after Kristen as the bigger threat. I think Kathy would try to sacrifice herself and plea to Ron but that would result in his own ouster if he saved Kristen and Aubrey didn't. If K & K voted for Ron and R & A voted for Kristen, it would go to black team. Then I could imagine a situation of Kathy begging to be sent home and black having to decide whether to agree or whether to send home the bigger threat of Kristen.

BTW, I wonder if the show wants to try to set up Mike for the win. We've had 2 female winners now so that novelty is gone. If Mike wins, they would have the novelty of a teenager as TBL and they could use him to "go after" the overweight teens.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 03-11-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #371  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Mandi was on the news again tonight at 5:00 pm where they showed her at the gym working out with a local trainer--a Gold's Gym I used to go to, in fact. She is working out twice a day now at two different gyms to get ready for the final, which she said was 8 weeks awa, and she wants to lose 20-30 more lbs. She said she's been "whiny" with this trainer--not sure of the context since it sounded like a sound bite. She actually can laugh at herself, and she seems a lot more cheerful than at the ranch. She's quite a pretty woman.

At 6:00 pm, they're going to talk with her about how she was able to take the time off. That might be interesting to watch.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #372  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I've about decided it's not a problem with authority for Felipe & Sione...it's a problem with a WOMAN in a position of authority. They don't respect Jillian as a trainer because she's a woman. They've got no issues working out with Bob.
Mindi, I totally agree with you on this!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #373  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
Wow, so much for your body going into starvation mode if you don't eat enough and then hanging ON to pounds... Hmmm. I guess bc of the amount they are working out that they are immune from that?
I've heard Jillian say when she has contestants that are super obese and have an exorbinant amount of weight to lose that she has put them as low as 800 cals a day under medical supervision. She says that if you're working out it revs your metabolism and compensates for being so low calorie wise that you will lose weight. Though she doesn't reccomend people at home to do it, of course because the contestants are under medical supervision there. So that's how they seem to get away with it.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 AM   #374  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

The show is getting slightly humorous for me.

Did anyone else Lol when filipe called kristen a big blueberry?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 AM   #375  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather88 View Post
The show is getting slightly humorous for me.

Did anyone else Lol when filipe called kristen a big blueberry?
Yes I giggled at that and was waiting for her to call him a big fat blackberry but she so called him out when she gloated that she had lost a pound more then him. Bwahahaha. I love Kristen. I hope Kristen or Mike wins.