The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #871  
Catherine

S/C/G: 446/389/200

Height: 6'2

Man I want Brittany to go. I find her really annoying..and Sorry Jillian, but when you defended Brittany and her whining you gave in to her loser mentality. Jillian has never been a favourite of mine, and I like her even less now, since last night.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #872  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisClaws View Post
Ok...here are my 2 cents about the show tonight..
  • The white team: it was so obvious that Neil didn't really put much effort into losing weight...only 55 pounds since they've been home, with some it due directly to the ranch? Kinda pitiful....and is it just me, or did his wife looked like she rather be anywhere than in that room while he was on the scale?
  • Trainer Jillian....her attitude was totally inappropiate this week. For goodness sake, she devoted most if not all of her time to the Pink Lady during workouts, to the points that the other women were a bit miffed about it. Then her outburst during the weigh-in made me want to slap her! Cursing on television, trying to say Brittney had a bad week....in my opinion, most of these women need to knock it off with the whining and crying and get to work!
  • If I had been the host, Allison, I would've promptly told Jillian that her outburst was inappropiate, and ask her to leave. These women with the exception of the Pink Lady act like they have the world on their shoulders, when it's just a weigh loss competition..it ain't the end of the world here....If the Pink Lady could pull off a respectable number for the week, like Allison noted, then the other women had no excuse for 2, or ZERO pounds lost....
55 lbs is actually alot for only 10 weeks. Plus he had to do it at home, we all know how lazy he can be so I'd say that was pretty good, even if his wife did smoke him! LOL!

and AMEN on Jillian and the black team! If you ask me all she did was make Britney more of the poor me victim. These women need to stop the whining and suck it up and make the most of what they have! Ali proved what can be done and she did it herself! All Jillian's eye rolling and profanity was totally inappropriate. I'm so glad that Allison made her final comment about how a woman won the weigh in...and the smallest woman at that!!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #873  
Dea
TBL Blue team member

I used to get tired of listening to Kelly complain and whine about being the next to go.....her attitude has finally rub off on the other two girls. I hope for Brittany's sake, her down week stays at just a week, and that she has another chance to do better. She needs her fighting spirit back...without Bernie!
I have mixed feelings about Jillians rant at Allison. I personally can't stand Allison, but I don't think she deserved to get balled out for comments that were probably scripted anyway. She looked really mad at Jill. Then, she really put Bob on the spot, by looking for a response. I have to say that Bob told a little white lie! There is no way he really believes that everyone there has a fair chance of coming out on top. If he really did believe that, he wouldn't have picked all the big boys for his team to begin with! I think he wants everyone to do their very best, but knows that one of his guys will probably win.
I agree with everyone else....too many repeated scenes after commercials...plus terrible editing.
So...when do we find out who gets voted off.....or did I miss something??
Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #874  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

There was just waay to much F-wording going on last nite, in the altercation with Allison and even in the girl's bedroom when she was berating them. If I were on the show I would have to say, you know what, you don't need to talk to me like that. CLean up your language when you talk to me. Since when did f*** become America's favorite adjective? It's disgusting is what it is. And it's not like by bleeping it out we can't all tell what she's saying. It's offensive. Especially since it's on a 8:00 which is still technically family viewing time and many of us have young ones watching during the first hour. Blech. I'm ready to burn her books. A speech full of F's just means it comes from a mind lacking creative thought.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #875  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
A speech full of F's just means it comes from a mind lacking creative thought.
AMEN!! I have always looked at that word as a sign of ignorance, you really cant come up with anything more intelligent to say than the F bomb? Now I'm not saying I've not thrown them myself in anger before because I have. But I hate when I do!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #876  

Quote:
Originally Posted by likenoother View Post
. I hate that Mark is back.
It is pretty much a waste bringing him back, because i think he is already too close to his goal weight to win it. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes fourth or fifth.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #877  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I've never really decided if I like or hate the show. I don't usually watch it, although I sometimes put in on before I go to sleep (with time shifting, it's on at 11pm-1am). I think it's skewed how society views weight loss. When weight loss of 5 pounds a week is considered a bad week - there's something wrong. I do think it's wonderful that some people find the show inspiring, but I wonder in the end if it does more harm than good.

How does the average person who couldn't afford 6 hours a day of personal training expect to compare their progress. I've fallen victim to it myself at times, being disappointed with no loss, or even a slight gain. And perhaps I've missed it, but not once have I heard a comment about women's cycles affecting their weigh in. I'm almost always gaining a few pounds before and then losing it after it finishes. On the show it makes for good tv (I suppose).

I do agree though, the women will have a tougher time winning. I'm not sure I've kept up, but have they ever had a woman win? I suppose I'd like to see a female/male winner system, where the best of each wins. Of course, let's face it, the show isn't really about weight loss. It's about entertainment.

As for likes/dislikes - Kelly and her crying would probably drive me nuts if I watched more. I'd probably be routing for Roger, although with the two brothers back together they might be hard to beat unless one of them goes home. Do they continue voting off until the end, or does it change at some point and only become about how much weight was lost?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #878  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I was pretty shocked during Jillian's little tirade. Language was completely out of hand; it's TV people, try not to look like trash. But what really bothered me was Jillian saying that Brittany has no chance to win and knew it. What??? Personally the minute my trainer tells me I can't win is the moment I get myself a new trainer.

Yes, it's harder for women. But everybody knew that when they watched the previous seasons of TBL and still decided they wanted to beat out 100,000 other people to be on it. What's the whining and moaning about it now? If that's your attitude then just go home. Lots of people still working hard and losing weight. When push came to shove last night, Brittany and Maggie only had to lose like 2-3 pounds to be safe and couldn't do it. It's not like they needed to pull 10-12 pounds. If they hadn't spent their week bemoaning their fate and eating too much, they'd have been fine. It was their own actions that got them below the line, not the unfairness of the game.

Could somebody please make Mark just go away? He makes me want to put a fork in my eye.

Last edited by Robin41; 03-12-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #879  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

I pretty much agree with everything said so far.

If there are no teams, why are the trainers still divided? Seems like the teams are alive and kicking . . . except for Ali, who was my favorite at the beginning, sticking with her pink t-shirt!!

I think the show took a serious dive in the bedroom. Jillian's job was to convince the black team that they CAN do it. Jillian was the one that could have convinced those girls that losing 3 - 4 pounds a week can still get them a win because it's based on PERCENTAGES, not total pounds lost. The smaller you are, the less you need to lose to still win.

Jillian had a perfect opportunity to pump those girls up and get them back on track and she didn't get the job done. She sat there whining with them like a defeated little twirp. Shame on her for not motivating her team, for using the F word as many times as she did, and for letting the boys know how freaked out all the black team members are.

I'd like to throw rotten tomatoes at Jillian!!!

Last edited by ggmugsy; 03-12-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #880  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

I think the editing definitely made it look like Jillian was spending more time on Allie than on everyone else. I highly doubt she would devote the entire 6hrs they were in the gym that day to training one person. She probably just wanted to see how fit Allie was in comparison to the rest of the team.

The outburst...eh. The swearing didn't bother me but it seemed unnecessary and diluted the point she was trying to make. I mean, personally I have days when I'm lose it and can swear like a trucker - I'm just not on national TV. I think what Jillian said was right though. Brittany can't win, Maggie can't win, Allie can't win...it's not being negative they just don't have the same % of weight to lose as a 400lb guy. AND even if they did women's metabolisms are slower so it pretty much impossible for a woman to lose 50% of her body weight in the same time a guy would. It bothered me that Alison Sweeney accused Brittany of giving up (I don't even like Brittany). I think that's what set Jillian off. Yes, the black team is whiny and need to stop focusing so much on not being able to compete with the boys but it's true that unless the guys do horribly at home the chance of one of those girls winning is slim-nil.

I also didn't like when Alison Sweeney asked Bob the same question like "okay well, Jillian's going to scream at me so I'm going to ask you now because you'll give me the exact opposite answer and be nice about it". Obviously Bob (I love him too) won't admit that his guys pretty much have it in the bag. Some women (ie: Isabeau from S4) might have been able to win because they had so much weight to lose but the girls who are left (with the exception of Kelly) just don't. I thought asking Bob that just made the situation worse...as did her little comment at the end about Ali winning the weigh-in. Obviously she was going to drop a big number after going from training herself to working out six hours a day and getting trained by Jillian - and she's so small to begin with that her percentage would understandably be very high. One weigh-in won by a woman does not mean anything...

*Sigh* Too much drama. I wish everyone could just stay at the ranch and lose weight and then weigh-in for the finale to see who wins.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #881  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

I was also really irritated with the women this week...yes, its easier for the men to lose weight..but get over it. You're not going to win by moping around whining about it, give it your all and show some pride for your achievements. I haven't really been rooting for anyone in particular, but after that show I'd be more inclined to see one of the guys or Ali win the thing, at least they're focusing on getting the weight off instead of whining about how hard the contest is.

I really don't like the host, (she has no personality. Why did they ever get rid of Caroline Rhea? I missed a few seasons) but I thought it was messed up for Jillian to go off on her like that.

I think they're going to get rid of Maggie next week. I was hoping she'd hit her stride at some point and get some confidence, but I think this is the end of the road for her. I don't get why they put off the elimination this week either. Would have been more interesting than the good 45 minutes they allocated for just having the kicked off people weigh in.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #882  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

I don't know why I continue to complain about this train wreck. I should just watch American Idol. I generally flip back and forth between the 2.

Mark coming back is a total waste because he stated he was 3 lbs from goal.

The black team-- what a mess. They are turning into a team full of Kelly's. Ali has completely taken their head out the game and that will get them sent home. Bernie is gone get over it. Maggie has gone from losing 6-8lbs a week to zero. I realize they may not become the biggest loser because of circumstance but you have an opportunity that most don't get. Stop whining and crying and do it!

Last edited by Shay; 03-12-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #883  

S/C/G: 245/237/165

Height: 5'10.5"

Default I love your responses!

Really I do!

Ladies, never forget, they are in the business of "getting ratings" which requires them to have an entire staff of people who think up ways to "create the train wrecks." (Same goes for most shows that are on, although I'm not certain how Dancing with the Stars creates twists of any sort.)

Having had the misfortune of working behind the scenes in the business, I will tell you that "stress sells."
The more drama or stress created on the set (real, contrived, or simply the appearance of it because all you see is the stressful portion of an otherwise stressfree day) the better. TV is TV.

I have to ask...How many women will excel in weightloss in a high stress environment? I KNOW I don't! Therefore, is the contest fair? I don't know.
But it is TV.
And for all the stupid stuff they do on the show, I have to say it is still one show I'm willing to follow (I flip it on if I'm home at the time that it's showing), because it addresses people fighting to regain a better life. Physically, mentally, emotionally, or spiritually, I find that premise filled with intrigue.

I don't know about you, but I live with a significant amount of stress in my life. It's more now than it was 3 months ago, or will be 10 months from now. This week has its challenges and the fact that I'm not finding comfort in the refrigerator is not something I would have recognized as a NSV unless I'd been listening to the tube last night as I was working around the house.

What's the point? Yeah, there's plenty of unnecessary balony that goes on on TBL. It's a TV show.
But, for me, I find some positives in it beyond mindless entertainment. I found that I'm doing good this week even though it's very stressful.
So, please, as with all things (including my post) take things for what they're worth...
You and your health are worth the world to the people who love you.

Just my thoughts.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #884  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post

Could somebody please make Mark just go away? He makes me want to put a fork in my eye.
Hilarious!! I only watched the last 25 minutes of the show and I was shocked when I saw Mark there...

With all the whining I saw in only the last 25 minutes I sure was glad that a "girl" won the weigh in .... poo on the wussy women and men ....
Old 03-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #885  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

IT'S A TV SHOW??? You mean there aren't actually tiny little fat people in that big expensive box in my house?

Now I'm going to have to figure out why I've got so much Extra gum laying around the house.