Old 10-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #1  

Lightbulb No More Winning Teams?

I don't understand why there isn't going to be a winning team anymore. It doesn't matter if the teams are uneven if you go off of the % of weight lost for each team.

For example, if Team A has the following weights:

Player 1: Starting weight: 200lbs, week 2 weight: 194 lbs; -6lbs.
Player 2: Starting weight: 250lbs, week 2 weight: 247.5 lbs; -2.5lbs.
Player 3: Starting weight: 170lbs, week 2 weight: 165 lbs; -5 lbs.

Percent weight loss = ((6+2.5+5) / (200+250+170)) x 100 = 2.177%

Team B has the following weights:

Player 1: Starting weight: 300lbs, week 2 weight: 290lbs; -10lbs.
Player 2: Starting weight: 199lbs, week 2 weight: 196lbs; -3lbs.

Percent weight loss = ((10+3) / (300+199)) =2.605%

Team B would win. Notice how Team A had a loss of 13.5 pounds, and team B lost 13 pounds, yet Team B had a higher % of weight lost.

In other words, it doesn't matter how many players are on each team, you can still figure out the winner. If someone doesn't report in, then they are no longer part of the team, and aren't factored in to the calculations. Just do the following to both teams to figure out who wins:

1. Add up the total pounds lost of each member of the blue team and each member of the red team (if someone lost 2 pounds the first week, then gained a pound the next week, then you would use 1 pound as that person's total weight lost)
2. Add up the total original weight of each team.
3. Take (#1 / #2) x 100 = % lost

Also, the "Biggest Loser" on each team should be calculated the same way. Total weight lost (week 2 +week 3 +....) divided by original weight, then multiply that number by 100.

Hope this helps .
Old 10-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #2  
I love Justin!!

S/C/G: 228.8/217.8/140

Height: 5'6"

Exclamation For both Red and Blue Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_New_Beginning View Post
I don't understand why there isn't going to be a winning team anymore. It doesn't matter if the teams are uneven if you go off of the % of weight lost for each team.

For example, if Team A has the following weights:

Player 1: Starting weight: 200lbs, week 2 weight: 194 lbs; -6lbs.
Player 2: Starting weight: 250lbs, week 2 weight: 247.5 lbs; -2.5lbs.
Player 3: Starting weight: 170lbs, week 2 weight: 165 lbs; -5 lbs.

Percent weight loss = ((6+2.5+5) / (200+250+170)) x 100 = 2.177%

Team B has the following weights:

Player 1: Starting weight: 300lbs, week 2 weight: 290lbs; -10lbs.
Player 2: Starting weight: 199lbs, week 2 weight: 196lbs; -3lbs.

Percent weight loss = ((10+3) / (300+199)) =2.605%

Team B would win. Notice how Team A had a loss of 13.5 pounds, and team B lost 13 pounds, yet Team B had a higher % of weight lost.

In other words, it doesn't matter how many players are on each team, you can still figure out the winner. If someone doesn't report in, then they are no longer part of the team, and aren't factored in to the calculations. Just do the following to both teams to figure out who wins:

1. Add up the total pounds lost of each member of the blue team and each member of the red team (if someone lost 2 pounds the first week, then gained a pound the next week, then you would use 1 pound as that person's total weight lost)
2. Add up the total original weight of each team.
3. Take (#1 / #2) x 100 = % lost

Also, the "Biggest Loser" on each team should be calculated the same way. Total weight lost (week 2 +week 3 +....) divided by original weight, then multiply that number by 100.

Hope this helps .
New Beginning- Thanks for your 2 cents but I am not sure where you heard that there wasn't going to be a winning team each week b/c there will be...

To The Red and Blue Teams:
I think you all forget that losing for another (Lorra, red team,) and I have to keep recalcualting EVERYTHING b/c people are dropping out or checking in late ( Saturday nite is the cut off, so when someone checks in for week 3 on sunday morning, that already messes up the calculations and they then to be redone by us). So yes, it is simple to say "all you have to do is this" but the fact of the matter is, there is a lot of work behind it especially when we are chasing after 40 some odd people.

This, believe it or not, is a lot of work for us to take on. Andrea started this challenge but has passed the buck onto me and Losing for Another. I am only speaking for myself but I want all of us to achieve and for both teams to do well however I do need your help too. You all wanted to be in this challenge and we have had to turn people away so please post your weight on time and encourage each other. That is what this challenge is about.

As soon as Losing for Another and I have the final calculations together we will post the winning team.

Thanks,

Cortney
Old 10-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #3  

You posted this:

"There will be no more people excepted on either team.
We are already running into trouble because people have gone MIA and have not checked in and the teams are no longer even. We are trying to sort this out. Until then there will be no winning team... But congrats on all your losses!"

I thought that meant since the teams aren't even you aren't going to have a winning team. You wouldn't have to "calculate" it over and over again if you put everyone's weights into excel. Excel would calculate everything for you.

First column: starting weights
Second Column: week 2 weights
Third column: "column 2 subtract column 1"
Fourth column: week 3 weights
Fifth column: "column 4 subtract column 1"
Sixth column: week 4 weights
......etc.
% weight loss for each week would be = (=sum(column of total weight loss) / =sum(column1)) x100
Old 10-08-2006, 01:48 PM   #4  
I love Justin!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_New_Beginning View Post
You posted this:

"There will be no more people excepted on either team.
We are already running into trouble because people have gone MIA and have not checked in and the teams are no longer even. We are trying to sort this out. Until then there will be no winning team... But congrats on all your losses!"

I thought that meant since the teams aren't even you aren't going to have a winning team. You wouldn't have to "calculate" it over and over again if you put everyone's weights into excel. Excel would calculate everything for you.

First column: starting weights
Second Column: week 2 weights
Third column: "column 2 subtract column 1"
Fourth column: week 3 weights
Fifth column: "column 4 subtract column 1"
Sixth column: week 4 weights
......etc.
% weight loss for each week would be = (=sum(column of total weight loss) / =sum(column1)) x100
Blue team won last week, didn't they? Yes, they did b/c they lost the most% of weight....

and by the way I do know how do use Excel and maybe you haven't seen the chart I keep posted and up to date for the blue team... but as I said, people are suppose to weigh in by saturday, not sunday morning, also people disappear...or Andrea adds people without bothering to tell either me or Losing for Another...

If you have a problem with me or how I am doing things PM me...
Old 10-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 231/181/140

Height: 5'2

I wanted to say Thanks to both of you for doing all the work. It is very much appreciated:-)
Old 10-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #6  
I love Justin!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedkaidmom View Post
I wanted to say Thanks to both of you for doing all the work. It is very much appreciated:-)
Thank you!!

That was so nice of you to say. It means a lot, really it does.

Cortney
Old 10-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 226.6/190/160

Height: 5'4"

Cortney and Losing for another Thanks for everything. I am glad that even with all the confusion you are still willing to do the calculations for us all Blue and Red Teams. Remember that regardless of which team we are on we are all winners by losing.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #8  
I love Justin!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalewatcher View Post
Cortney and Losing for another Thanks for everything. I am glad that even with all the confusion you are still willing to do the calculations for us all Blue and Red Teams. Remember that regardless of which team we are on we are all winners by losing.
Thank You!
Best of luck this week!

Cortney
Old 10-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #9  

Well...goodness! I would like to thank both of the ladies for everything they are doing because I am truly enjoying this challenge. I am such a Biggest Loser fan that being able to "participate" in any way is great for me. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #10  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Yes, thank you both for tracking all this!

Excel or not, it's gotta be a challenge to get all the data in on time and in the right place in these threads I can see it's not so easy.

I am having a great time with my virtual Team... and I am 100% positive I will lose more this way than going it alone... and I'm glad to see everyone in here enjoying the team aspect!
Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Yes, thanks to all who organized and maintain this, and hang in there everyone, I think it will get easier. Now that everyone knows to edit their week one post and update their weights, we should all get better at this. Even I goofed this week, but I get it now. Hopefully we can all keep the Final Threads running and just keep editing our original message. Whoever thought of that was a genius!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 199/173/115

Height: 5'2"

yes thanks to both of you who are taking care of figuring all this out!!! i love coming on here and knowing whats going on so thanks for taking care of it for us! yey red team!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:58 AM   #13  
Determined

Thanks to both of you, and if there's anything I can do to help out, let me know. (trying to use all the holiday smilies)