Old 01-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinnerbyjuly View Post
I weighed in again and am still shocked. Can I stress shocked. I can't wait for the official weigh in tomorrow!

Has anyone here bought the sketchers shape ups?
I weighed in again today too and had another whooosh. This calorie counting really does work!!! Can't wait to see your weight tommorow!!!!

I'm a Long Term Care Aide and a lot of the nurses and other care aides wear the shape ups. Apparently they are awesome for back pain. I'd buy some but they are a bit too expensive for us right now.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #152  
50 is the new 40!

S/C/G: 165/165/140

Height: All of 5ft Tall

Good morning Bluesers! Here's a good Jillian Michaels tip for the day

Quote:
SATURDAY: YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

Eat to Balance Your Hunger Hormones
The hormone leptin is released from your fat cells after you eat to tell your body to stop feeling hungry and start burning calories. So the more leptin the merrier, right? Not exactly. The more fat you have on your body, the more leptin you produce, and excess leptin can eventually cause your body to become resistant. If your body is resistant to leptin, the hormone can't do its job. The goal is to optimize your leptin levels by choosing foods that work to increase your body's sensitivity to leptin and strategically raise levels of it when necessary. Here are a few of the nutrients you should look for.

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA): This type of omega-3 fatty acid stimulates leptin production by increasing the metabolism of glucose. It's found in cold-water fish, such as wild salmon, mackerel, sardines, and herring. (Farm-raised fish are not a great source of EPA or other omega-3s because their diet makes them produce more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3s. Omega-6 fatty acids encourage inflammation and can counter the healthful effects of omega-3s.) Other types of omega-3s can cause a temporary dip in leptin levels, which can help you kick-start a sluggish metabolism.

Protein: One study found that increasing protein to 30 percent of total daily calorie intake improved participants' leptin sensitivity, which resulted in overall lowered calorie intake. Good sources of protein include yogurt, Pacific wild salmon, turkey, eggs, and peanut butter.

Zinc: This mineral acts like EPA, in that it raises leptin levels. Oysters, red meat, poultry, beans, nuts, whole grains, fortified breakfast cereals, and dairy products are all good sources of zinc.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #153  
Believing is Seeing

S/C/G: 260/188/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi Blue Team, I've been to California and back in the last week to attend memorial services for my son Seth, age 33. In fact, today is his birthday. But I'm back to my real life, though the sorrows remain with me, I've got to move on. Fortunately, Angela encouraged me to chime in when I got back and I've found you all did GREAT! winning the first challenge. I hope I can be part of future wins, and get to know some of you better. (Some might remember me from a couple challenges back, too) I'm reading Conquer the Fat-Loss Code and hope to get my metabolism in order. Anyway, I'm here and ready to lose . . . win . . . be a part of a great team!!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #154  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doragone View Post
Hi Blue Team, I've been to California and back in the last week to attend memorial services for my son Seth, age 33. In fact, today is his birthday. But I'm back to my real life, though the sorrows remain with me, I've got to move on. !
Old 01-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #155  

So today was a bit of a challenge. I took the kids to the theater to watch Alvin And The Chipmunks. Usually at the movies we get a XL popcorn, a pop for each of us and some sort of candy. Popcorn is a huge trigger for me. I love it and can't stop eating it.

So my plan was I will still order a small popcorn for the boys to share, an ice tea for them to share, and I am going to the store before hand to buy a box of the 100 calorie snacks. I'll bring two of those into the theater as well as a can of diet coke and then I'll be set. I will not eat any of the boys popcorn. And I did even better than I planned! I drank a can of diet coke and ate a 100 calorie chocolate bar! I had a 100 calorie pack of rice cakes in my purse, but wasn't hungry, so I never ate it!

Last edited by babygrant; 01-16-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #156  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

So sorry Doragone xx

I have lost 5 pounds this week and all my exams went great so I'm feeling good. On the other hand, I've managed to severely pull a muscle at the top of my left arm so don't think this week is going to be full of much exercise. Slingtastic.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #157  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Doragone. so glad to have you back. I do remember you from other challenges although I believe we were on opposite teams. I have never lost a child but my sister did 10 years ago. As his aunt I still feel empty at times but I know this is nothing compared to what a mother feels. My deepest sympathy is extended to you and your family as you go through this very sad time in your lives. Please know that we will be here for you as you go through the difficult days ahead.

Well done with the theatre, Babygrant and Dayoneagain, 5 pounds is awesome. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

I'm down 1.5 pounds as of this morning (finally). I've been hanging around 136-137 for almost a month so it was good to see a new number on the scales this morning. So now I start those last ten, slow pounds.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'3

Hey ladies.. sorry I haven't been around last night or today.. fighting off a bug and slept most of today away, sore throat, cough n low grade temp lol O well 'tis the season I guess.. hahaha
Thank you for the nice comments on my new pic ladies... Isabella you made my day but it has to just be the angle.. lol I have a good 65 pounds to go.. but I do notice what a difference incorporating strength training has done this time around! And woo hoo on finally seeing that new number on the scale.. Good luck with the dreaded "last ten" but I have all the faith in the world in you.. you are such an inspiration!

Dora! So happy to see you're back.. I was thinking about you just the other day and wondering how you were doing..

Babygrant on the theater NSV!!!!

dayone .. 5 pounds? You're rawkin it girl!!! I am glad to hear your week went well but I am sorry to hear that you have hurt your arm.. Be good to yourself and go easy with it!

Happy Belated Birthday Starry!!!

mageorge I hope you had a nice evening chaperoning! I know that can be stressful sometimes!

ars, hope you are feeling better!

Michelle so happy to hear your back is feeling better and you are rawkin' it out by the way.. you are doing so well staying OP!

Alright my Blue Beauties! I am going to run a hot soaky bath and head to bed... see you all tomorrow!!!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #159  
Mommy of 6, 4, almost 1!!

S/C/G: 194.6/179.2/155

Height: 5'1"

Dora... I'm so sorry about your son, Seth. I can't fathom the pain you must feel. When my brother died before I was around, my mom said it was horrible the way life went on for others, but for her it stopped. Just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts. I'm glad we're on the blue team together to cream the red team!!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #160  
Lose the holiday lbs!

S/C/G: 174/163.8/150

Height: 5.7 ft

Thanks Thinnerbyjuly! i had a lovely day yesterday with my two best friends in windsor, went to lunch and then walked around the shops and then went back to one of my friends house and chilled. it was great to catch up and chat. it also gave me the opportunity to talk about my plans during my sebattical. i want to do some volunteering, and am going to find out about how to become a volunteer counseller for childline. they really encouraged me, as i was having second thoughts as i was nervous whether i would be good at it or would be able to handle it. but they told me since i've been interested in doing it for so long, i should just check it out.

starryeyes glad you had a great birthday!

babygrant - exactly! calorie counting works, its basic maths : calories in calories out

Mercy thanks for the tip! hope you're well!

sorry Isabella about not being able to take part in the boost challenege

Doragone, so sorry to hear about your son
i really admire how strong and positive you are being.

wow babygrant ! well done on the theatre popcorn thing! thats awesome

dayoneagain, congrats on your exams and 5lbs loss! wow double whammy eh!
sorry about your injury. hope you get better soon.

congrats isabella on 1.5lb loss thats awesome!

oh dear sorry Angela about you not feeling well. try taking zinc lozenges for your sore throat.

----

weighed in this morning, thankfully not showing a gain phew!!! showing a 0.4lb loss, hehe which i will take! as i wasnt able to do my proper workouts this week - cause of TOM and cramps. but just did light exercises a few days this week.
--
will hit the workouts hard this week now that TOM is over. i want to see at least a 1lb loss next week

Last edited by Echo; 01-17-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #161  
Low carber :)

S/C/G: 223/212/size 6

Height: 64 inches

Good morning everyone!!!! I ended up with a 5.2 loss for the week. I'm shocked and happy. My back is feeling so much better so i'll start walking and the wave again tomorrow. I'm not going to be shocked if I retain lots of water since I've gotten very little extra exercise the last 2 week due to the back flaring up.

Babygrant congrats on your woosh and the info on the shoes! Great job at the movies1

Mercy thanks for the info! Interesting

Doragone big hugs to you!!!!!!

Retiredone congrats on the 1.5!

Angela hope you feel better soon!

Echo congrats on the .4!

Howdy to anyone I may have forgotten! I hope we beat the red team again Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #162  
50 is the new 40!

S/C/G: 165/165/140

Height: All of 5ft Tall

Morning Bluesers!

I have a 3 day off holiday for my little procedure tomorrow, I hope I have a 2-3 pound weight loss from this as I don't think jello, coffee, and chicken broth has any calories and are the only foods I can eat.

Angela, I hope you feel better and tomorrow after, I will ab able to participate in your challenge as soon as I get some food in me and ENERGY!

Babygrant, congrats on your weight loss

Mrs. Retire, as always you rock! Congrats on bursting that plateau!

dayoneagain Awesome weight loss!

Originally Posted by Doragone
Hi Blue Team, I've been to California and back in the last week to attend memorial services for my son Seth, age 33. In fact, today is his birthday. But I'm back to my real life, though the sorrows remain with me, I've got to move on. !

My thought and prayers our with you

Thinnerbyjuly Keep up the good work

Diva, where are you?

Nella, you've been quiet lately miss you

And last but not least....................

Echo I am sure whatever you put you mind to, you will accomplish.Volunteering is very honorable and noble and I can't think of anything better to do with your sabbatical than to help others.Very impressive Dr. echo, very impressive.

Last edited by Mercy03; 01-17-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #163  

Good morning blue team. I just peeked through the weigh in thread, amazing losses already! My weight went up since yesterday by about 0.8 lb but I put in my heavier weight for today. Still 4 lbs down though, so that's good!

Does anyone find their weight affected by salt? I've never watched my salt content and I pretty much salt.....er.....everything. I use sea salt because of the iodine levels because my thyroid levels are on the lower end and I was hypothyroid after both my kids were born. But after watching Dr Oz the other day and the guy who used to consume 20 tsp of salt a day and Dr Oz talked about how bad salt is I wonder if I should cut out salt. My blood pressure is fine. Usually 102/60.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #164  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

I usually just compensate a high salt intake by drinking a lot more water.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #165  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

Mercy - I'm here girl, just busy busy!

Dora - I'm sorry sorry about your son. I hope you and your family can find peace.

BabyGrant - Yes salt seriously impacts my weight. I try to combat it with water, but when it comes down to it, I just have to give it up as much as I can. It sucks, becaue I love salt, but I'd rather not be carrying around that extra water weight.

Angela - Hope you are feeling better!

Echo - I think it sounds liek a great idea! And so glad you had a nice time jsut relaxing with your friends. Sometimes we need some down time.

Thinner - Go girl!!! I am way jealous of that weight loss!!! Keep it up!!

Isabella - Grats to you too!!!

Well, I hate to post it, but I had to. 164.0, an almost 2 pound gain for me. It sucks, but it is what it is. I did get a new scale this weekend though, my old one was having issues. I wouldn't be surprised if my gain was water retention from working out. It's been so long since I did cardio and weights that I'm sure my body is going "uh-oh, what's this??" we'll see how next week goes. I have to say I dont' like working out in a gym near as much as walking/jogging outside. It kinda sucks, but it's what I have to do, so I'm doing it. DH is coming with me on the weekends, so that's cool. He also got me a surprise couples massage yesterday, so that was really cool. I love that man!

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great weekend, and here's to a POP week!!!