Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:06 AM   #196  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, around Bristol, Rhode Island exploring some places we've never been. Some of the dark side of American History lies nearby on Mount Hope where Philip, King of the Wampanoags, died. Ordered the book to see if I can catch up a little on the history I wasn't taught.

Food was OK. Ordered a green salad as the side instead of French fries with my sandwich made from the Portuguese sausage called chouriηo (cedilla under the second C). Felt noble. Then the sandwich was delivered with both salad and fries. <sigh> . . . I ate some of the fries also. CREDIT moi for the attempt.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Thanks for the reminder, "it's not always all or nothing." Drooling over those organic Colorado peaches.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Yep, we all have that desire to lose consistently every single week - stay your path, it'll happen. Those Brazilian dietary guidelines look good to me, also.

nationalparker – Don't know how to motivate bats to eat more - wouldn't that be a kick if someone actually thought of a way to do that. Sending supportive thoughts as you continue to process the passing of both of your parents in one month.

ForMyGirls - Neat incentive to think "there's 70 treat calories for me if I walk" - Kudos for that plan.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for "high intensity interval training." Don't know if I could ever tire of the taste of onion and green pepper, LOL.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for mall walking again. Do you avoid shopping while you're there?

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

Make Your Graph

Re-create [your graph] in your diet notebook, photocopy it, or use a piece of graph paper. When you run out of room on this initial graph (because you've lost more than 5 pounds or dieted for longer than 10 weeks), create a second one, and so on. These graphs will give you an overall sense of your progress. They should help prevent you from focusing too narrowly on the number on the scale on any particular day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 174.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #197  
Green Tomatoes

I'm still here. And getting back on track, again. I wanted to say welcome back to Nuxmaga.

And, send hugs to nationalparker. A friend gave me the term "adult orphan" along with a bracelet she made with dark orange and green crystals to help with feelings of abandonment. I don't know if the bracelet helped, but the recognition in the words definitely did.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #198  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Well, I struggled a bit yesterday myself, but am giving myself credit for not making it as bad as it could have been. For some reason I felt like I was hungry, though if I stopped and thought about it, I really wasn't THAT hungry. Still I gave in a couple of times, one with a snack and one with candy. I ate two Dove promises, but given my past history, I am giving myself credit for stopping at two instead of eating the normal 6. The rest of the day was definitely on-plan.

Today is already a better day. Not feeling nearly as hungry, and have already resolved that it just doesn't matter if I'm hungry. It will be 8.5 hours until I am home and between now and then I have lunch to eat. I may be hungry, but I can wait. I won't die.

My weight is zigzagging like crazy. After that initial drop I posted last week, I went right back up, then back down and now back up. Fortunately, this isn't all about weight so I'm sticking with it, though it sure helps the motivation to see some downward trend.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #199  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Personal challenge's Day 2 for me and while I'm jumping the gun here posting before dinner, I'm buoyed by my change of pace in skipping chips at Subway for lunch. That was actually my challenge for the day, eating-wise. I ALWAYS seem to want the "chips and drink" the cashier asks me to go along with my 6-inch sandwich.

DH will be home for dinner now for the next few weeks until nightshift comes up again, and that brings a different temptation because now is typically when I want to go out with him - let's connect, go out to kick off the long weekend (I'm taking vacation day tomorrow), and enjoy! Or let's go out for pizza. SO will see how he's faring since the switchover day is rough for him - tries to stay up a LONG time so he can switch his sleep cycles back over, but generally just wipes him out just as long... maybe breakfast for dinner would be a good choice budget-wise as well as calorie-wise.

Made plans for the dinner theatre for Sunday night (we have buy one, get one free membership to this theatre this year and I want to get our money's worth, plus I enjoy it all). Weather forecast is stormy each day, so we nixed camping. For some oddball reason, I'm not as crushed as I normally am - I guess I had one foot not in the hiking boot this time

Has anyone seen the movie The Trip to Italy? I never saw The Trip but have it on hold from the library... (was that one good?) I want to see the Trip to Italy this weekend if there is something DH would like to see at the same/close time.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #200  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up more of the same and some different stuff too

Coaches

OP 9 days now. "Woot!" Credit.

That's 9 days sugar free and 9 days eating three meals, and mostly one snack.
The scale has not rewarded me. I remain the same, or more. Oh well. pppppfffft on that. Right now I am focused on staying OP, staying away from the sugar and getting and staying in the groove.

I also wanted to report that I met another submission deadline with 3 days to spare. It feels good to not be doing it at the eleventh hour. I kind of like it. I also received what I can call a prototype book. I made a picture book with my linoleum prints of monsters from my art show last year. I got a free coupon for a shutterfly book and I thought why not. So I printed all the linos in red, scanned them and arranged them in the photobook online then decided to add my own text, a poem, and I ended up with a book called Sing a Song of Monsters. It has one grammatical and capitalization error that bugs me to no end, which I did see and could have corrected but just wanted to send it off... yeah, I know, but it's not the end of the world. The quality of the printing is very high. It was fairly expensive as well so it's not a place I can have a few printed for re-selling but it was valuable to see what I think of that and as a way to show my work off. I have two more series of prints I want to do this way as well. Now my book sits on the bookshelf beside my sister's novel. I'm in good company. It's just felt good to make some concrete progress on things. This whole summer has felt so, what, intangible somehow. The weather was nice, but the breeze was always cool. The days are warm to hot-ish but the nights are in the mid teens celcius (low 50's F). Everything is taking it's sweet time to ripen. I just got our first red tomatoes-cherry ones-today. I've had 3 yellow ones.

Time to go. Tomorrow is studio clean up day. It's a wreck and I need my space back.

Have a good night.

nationalparker I watched the trip as a BBC series and have started the Trip to Italy, also as a series, so I checked online to see if that was what you were mentioning and I think it is. I found The Trip hilarious but many of their references are over my head. I don't know the characters they are mimicking at times as they refer to British celebrities. 95% of the time you can figure it out and of that I'd say 95% of those times it doesn't matter if you don't exactly know who it is, it's funny enough. But it's quiet British humour. I had started watching the Trip to Italy first and decided to see the frst one first. I don't know if you need to, but I am glad I did. The story is not complex. You don't need one to see the other because of the complex plotlines like say Expendables 3

Last edited by onebyone; 08-28-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:37 AM   #201  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

An on-plan day coaches. Went to gym. Did not eat standing up or at the sink - CREDIT. Almost did but carefully avoided it

Not a lot to report - weight is up as usual and blood sugars not behaving even though I am eating to plan

I am not entirely sure that as BillBE says that in my case if I "stay your path, it'll happen". I have carefully and assiduously followed diets for the last year, have stayed under 1500 calories, and reduced carbs etc. I loose on average 1 pounds every 2-3 months [and often put them back on again]. I am getting irritated. My metabolism seems to be totally broken and even though research is showing that chemotherapy post breast cancer does seem to lead to severe metabolic disorder, I thought I was doing all the right things to overcome it. I am particularly p****d off that nothing changes.

Anyway I keep trying and will continue to plan meals and particularly to avoid eating standing up

have a good Friday coaches
Old 08-29-2014, 04:56 AM   #202  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – My walk, CREDIT moi, included a stop at the supermarket because our favorite cereal was on sale for 62% off - just WOW. I bought as much as we can eat over a few months. Super sales make me unreasonably happy.

Eating was OK. Still working. Today I'll add some current items to my Advantages Card to try to shake things up.

onebyone – Your shutterfly book sounds so cool. Congrats for making something that nice for your own enjoyment.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Waving back. It's good to open my newspaper and not read of turmoil in your area.

Donna (new2me2) - Those Dove Promises look seductive - Kudos for stopping at two. Yep, "zigzagging like crazy" seems to be what Beck is talking about.

nationalparker – Kudos for a six inch Subway - since they also come in twelve inch - as well as Kudos for skipping the chips that they push. I haven't seen either Trip.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

Make Your Graph

It's important for you to know that virtually no one loses the same amount of weight every single week. Most dieters are like Terri, in that they lose a few pounds fairly quickly and then begin to lose more slowly. All dieters have weeks in which their weight either stays the same or increases a little. A typical weight-loss graph resembles a jagged downward slope rather than a straight downward line. Be confident. Overall, your weight will go down, but it's unlikely to go down every week.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 175.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:20 AM   #203  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

The busy week continues so still no personals for me - but it is helpful to make sure I post! I didn't manage to post or plan last night - but I planned before I had breakfast this morning - and i have been doing my reading each day and staying on trsck. So yay to me for that.

Day 23 yesterday and Day 24 today. Countering unfairness and dealing with disappointment. I am rebooting my frugal living project at the moment as well as my healhty eating and I realised with these 2 days that these issues are far more of a challenge for me with money than food. So i have response cards written to help me next time those thoughts come to visit.

Credits- having an 'earned' and planned for serving of icecream last night. Participating in my daughter's karate class (we do it together - it is good fun!) yesterday despite the temptation to use the hour without parenting responsibility to get a bit more work done. Adjusting my food for the day to make room for my evening Horlicks rather than 'rounding up' the calories for the day.

I have been having this insight the last few days that healthy eating is going to involve either dinner or lunch being a light meal everyday. It's this amazing revelation for me that having a salad for lunch (with a small amount of protein or carb) is how to have a satisfying meal and stay in calories. I always thiught that was a thing "skinny chicks" did ;-)
Old 08-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #204  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Day before yesterday was a good gym day and a good food day. Yesterday started off well, read my cards, 90 minute walk with a friend, breakfast and lunch on plan. Then everything went to **** in a hand basket. Not sure why, but I snacked a bit and then had beer and pizza for dinner. I'm giving myself credit for journalling my food, even though I didn't want to. Also, credit for the exercise. I had been feeling a little weepy off and on during the day and I guess I took that excuse to veer off plan. I'm really looking forward to Fall. Even though I'm looking forward to seeing friends in Washington, I would really rather be home but have it getting cooler here. Summer is just not an easy time for me in AZ. I actually am having a bit of a pity party. Even I know how ridiculous this is considering how blessed I am to get out of here as often as I do. This too will pass. Today I will spend a little more time thinking about all that I have to be grateful for and stick to my plan. My brother and sister in law will be here over the weekend from WA. I'm so lucky that her two kids live here and have had 4 children in the last 2 1/2 years. This assures me of regular visits. Yea!! Happy Friday to all!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #205  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Aesthetic August draws to a close this weekend. I have had a few triumphs and a few misses. My pantry challenge has been a huge success. The old bank account is looking a little plumper. I have added lots of new healthy, interesting recipes in my "favorites" binder. I have focused on "eating local." My sister came to visit and remarked how nice it was to have homemade soup and homemade bread. DS said, "We mostly eat homemade around here." That felt very good.

I think the extra time involved in this challenge has surpassed the time it takes to make a quick stop at the store several times in a month but it was a great investment in that it keeps me conscious of my food.

I have logged in all my food since July 23. That is a notable record.

And yet the scale is stuck. I might be able to post one pound less on the ticker for Sept. I tell myself, "Yes, this is what it takes to meet your goals. This is the focused energy on a daily basis over a long period of time. There is no short cut." I must remind myself I weigh less now than I did in high school. I get many compliments on how great I look and try not to brush them off saying, "But I am not at goal." The process is enough.

ForMyGirls; I absolutely agree about the wonders rediscovery that a small spinach salad with a few sliced peaches and a bit of ham is dinner. Did this last night and then STOPPED eating and I thought, "Why can't this be every night?"

Gosfordgirl: ForMyGirl's Day 23 sounds right today, doesn't it? Unfair how little we can eat. I have to back WAY up and make a gratitude list to counter my objections.

karenrn: Fall in Arizona is beautiful. Certainly something to look forward to.

BBE: I am a great white bargain hunter. It is one of my favorite past times.

Last edited by maryann; 08-29-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #206  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I have been reading not finding moments filled with connectivity when I have moments to post.

Very busy with family. Dr appts and keep busy projects.

Just had sushi and avocado w WW tortilla for lunch and am going to unload bike for a ride in the park. Credit moi and best wishes to all!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #207  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi Beck friends,

I have just spent some time catching up on reading posts. I have been on holidays for the past 3 weeks and away from internet for much of it. I did not know how badly I needed this time off. I feel like a new person- very relaxed and feel- I guess the word is serene. I spent a great deal of the holidays outdoors on a beautiful lake so I am back in touch in a big way with what grounds me and makes me happy. Grateful to have a wonderful DH to spend this time with.

I have been reading- no more than reading- more like studying the Beck green book. I am going to do what she advises- not just parts- all of it. I spent time custom making a diet journal today- complete with a place to write in my daily meal plan, the daily success sheets for the first week and my own goals. I met all of my goals today and did all the things Beck recommends. I feel hopeful again.

Thank you for putting up with my frequent disappearances from this group and always making me feel welcome when I come back.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #208  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Happy weekend kickoff everyone! Day 3 for me was basically a success. Walked each level from end to end of our four-story downtown mall before going to the store I needed, and also walked the stairs in the parking garage. Food was okay, but could have gone without 200 calorie dessert after dinner.

Went back to boxes in the garage from folks' home and found the letters from my dad to me as a kid when he was in Viet Nam, and also found the letters he had saved that I'd written him. Fresh tears for who knows what reason.

Aiming for early posting tomorrow with personals. Day 4 challenge to myself is to get out on my bike again... test it out and not put that off. OneByOne - were you biking last summer?

CeeJay - GOOD to see you back here - and your commitment to all phases will hopefully help me, too!

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-29-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:50 PM   #209  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Friday night of a long weekend that feels like the end of summer but isn't, yet.

Coaches

OP today. Day 10. Credit.

Deliberately chose to not eat seconds and to stop before overful at dinner. Did better with that at dinner than lunch, when I came home roiling emotionally. I was facing the piles of stuff in my studio and starting the slow process of culling the newspapers to only the stuff that I may truly use, and found myself getting pretty depressed over the state of the world as seen in the newspaper. Found myself saving some of the "lighter" fare as a reaction to it, but caught myself before I got carried away. I alos emptied out a small box full of cut apart aluminum cans for a printmaking project to do with making books using the cans and feeding them through a modified inkjet printer. That will have to wait. I have enough to do right now. More than I even knew as I sat there getting rid of the cans. Later I got the news that I am in my SECOND steamroller printmaking event (Sept 20th)! This time the roller is bigger and it's an overnight event for Nuit Blanche Ottawa with 9 other printmakers including my former teacher. I will be given 12-15 FEET of paper to use plus black ink. Now I truly can make something big! He made a 30" x 96" bigfoot print last year. I also got news that between me and the other sub-letter where my studio is we have to come up with $400 more per month rent due to the change in ownership of the garage/bay. Ugh. It made me feel ill thinking about how we would do that. I thought I'll have to get rid of my locker I'll have to get rid of the studio. I'll have to work at home and get rid of everything that's in my way here...clutter and chaos and too much stuff again and again over and over. I came home, starving and ate to full at lunch in reaction but stopped myself in time and was careful at dinner. No snacks in between and no overwhelming cravings in between or now thank goodness. I have done reading and writing on this and I'm calmer but don't know how this will shake out. I just have to do what's in front of me to do and to know that this is not an emergency. No need to panic. I have a whole month yet.

Heading to bed now.

nationalparker I rode my bike once. It was this year. I should ride it again cause it felt good. Maybe we should both ride our bikes? What do you think? who else is riding --Lexxiss is I know that! Anyone else?

Last edited by onebyone; 08-29-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:11 AM   #210  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Coaches

Happy long weekend. A wet miserable day - I quite enjoy days like that - good to be inside and potter but walking the dogs is challenging. I think tomorrow is fine and they will get to enjoy being outside.

I made a plan and stuck to it. Credit. Ate sitting down 90% of the time. Ate something at the sink, that I had planned to eat, but couldn't be bothered dirtying anything to sit down. Not good really. I have done some food organising and am still hanging in there - Credit. Dinner is ready (Chilli Lime Chicken Soup). Weight a bit lower today (down 1.2 pounds) but still above ticker. Credit for posting. I don't think it is unfair that I am not losing weight and I am not self pitying (well not much) - I just truthfully find it incomprehensible. Anyway - will press on because the alternative certainly isn't better

Tomorrow gardening, gym and some work.

Glad things are going well for you CeeJay - nice to read.

Onebyone - sounds like you have a lot to deal with - but you seem up for it - credit for taking it on

BillBE - Hope the new advantages cards do it for you

ForMyGirls - yes it is a bit amazing how little food one can and needs to survive on. That is why I have to use MFP or I would be out of control

Maryann - Credit for your August adventure - you really did some amazing things

Lexxiss - credit for your control with food in your journey with your family

take care coaches
Closed Thread