Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good afternoon, Coaches.

Celebrating another angel. Proud of myself for battling back from Saturday night. It really proves to me again that there is no ONE day that keeps me overweight. That is powerful for me to remember.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 08-19-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #137  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Had written a post then accidentally hit the back arrow and lost it. Main thoughts were that I faced a lot of temptation today and came through okay. Could have made much worse choices.

Breaking up my yard/garden tasks into manageable pieces. Tonight's chore was to trim the chin-height daisy bushes down to the ground - all daisy blooms are dead. Tackled that and emerged with eight mosquito bites. I hate that. Was waiting out a storm for the free watering. It passed our yard by, so will head out to water the pots in a few minutes. Thank you Bill and Lexxiss for always reminding me that steadily tackling projects gets it done!

I keep thinking we're close to the weekend ... luckily the workweek will be a bit short for me as I'm taking Friday off. Work picks up with a vengeance next week.

Wanting to see the 159.xs and was hoping that I'd see that on the weekend - not confident but hoping the little choices add up.

Still have a variety of meals to prep with ingredients on hand - turkey pot pie with white wine, pierogies with peppers and onions, roasted carrots/onions and lemon (will be lime) chicken, pesto flatbread pizza with parm, turkey and white wine risotto and a farmer scramble. I like cleaning/clearing the cabinets and freezer to start the autumn with fresh ingredients.

Challenge tonight is to stay on track despite DH being at work. I struggle with that at times. Tomorrow's goal is to eat wisely with work-sponsored pizza lunch. Pizza is a complete fave of mine. Luckily they often order mainly meat-laden pizzas and those are no tempation. Plain cheese is a rarity that disappears quickly.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:32 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Coaches

ForMyGirls - credit for not having extra sandwiches especially if you were hungry. And credit for finding the positive in it

BillBE - today's quote from BDS - "The numbers on the scale" was so appropriate given my concerns yesterday with being influenced by an upward change.

Gardenerjoy - love the well planned celebration dinner. I still struggle to plan meals out and I haven't had one yet since the change of diet plan.

Maryann - Yay for another angel - fabulous that you got there after a shakey start.

Nationalparker - Glad you came through temptation unscathed. You are inspiring me to make a new to-do list. There are projects that are waiting to be started and others to be finished.

Felt off colour today - not sure if it is the left over cold bothering me or the fact I am still not getting enough energy happening or what. But sleepy and headachy (overnight as well) and generally grumpy. Very tempted to have a great big bowl of carbohydrate for some quick (and destructive) energy so will continue to drink hot tea. The weather is now our typical cold windy and showery winter weather which is pretty good. At least weight is back on the way down.

Today:
- 193 pounds [-1]
- Logged my food
- Under 20g CHO net
- Bit over 1500
- No gym today
Old 08-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #139  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the hardware store for some Tub Caulk. Turns out that I didn't need it. What I needed was to remove the mold growing around the edge of the tub. Horrors! What a boring task. After trying the toothbrush thing, I finally tried everyday bleach. The secret is to let it sit on the mold for an hour or so - not the recommended ten minutes. Then repeat. Then repeat again, P.R.N. Once dead, they lose their grip and are easily wiped off. So I spent my day watching mold die. Double Horrors!!

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi. I prepared one snack for myself that I then didn't eat. CREDIT moi for that one even though others weren't on plan.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Got me drooling again with "bibb lettuce salad in tarragon vinaigrette with actual parsley leaves and tarragon leaves." You remind me to pay more attention to the food I'm served. I'm nearly done with my Jack the Ripper book without becoming interested in the Who-Was-Jack question? The Lizzie Borden story is gripping; JtR is only interesting in that the suspects pursued reflected English prejudices of 1888 - It certainly wasn't an Englishman. A proper read for watching mold die.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Glad your "typical cold windy and showery winter weather" has arrived so that nature can live its cycle. Congrats for weight on the way down again.

maryann - Hosanna for another angel. Kudos for getting it by consciously battling your way there.

nationalparker – I'd drop by anytime for "pierogies with peppers and onions," Chopping bushes down to the ground is one of those gardening tasks that are easy for DW but I'm reluctant to do - The poor things, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

The Numbers on the Scale

It's important for you to start using the scale as an information tool that provides data you can use to guide your eating. If you took your temperature, you would use the number on the thermometer as a guide to decide whether you should go to work, whether you should take over-the-counter medications, or whether you should call your doctor. When you weigh yourself, use the number on the scale as a guide to decide whether you should keep doing what you're doing or make some changes.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 171.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #140  

Hello everybody,

Finally got my BDFL book and can't wait to start reading it. I also picked up a couple recipe books from the library to prepare a meal plan for next week.

Let the meal planning begin!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #141  

BTW - weighed in this morning at my lowest weight in 5 years and am officially in a normal weight range (according to BMI).
Old 08-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #142  
Green Tomatoes

Lots of busy-ness right now with trip preparations and community work on top of the normal things. Having a food plan makes it all go more smoothly.

WI: -0.1 kg, Exercise: +55 810/1400 minutes for August, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #143  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Happy Wednesday to y'all

Coaches

I'm home, second day in a row. I am very slowly, incrementally, tackling the things that need to be tackled.

Yesterday I looked for some paperwork the accountant has been asking for since mid June. Haven't found it. I think DH has it in his desk. DH is not cooperating. Not really. He's given lip service to it but there is always some obstacle preventing him from actually getting what needs to be got. I informed him that if he doesn't cooperate I will stop the whole thing and the next time it will be up to him to get it done. I will have tried my best. He was surprised and could not understand why I feel this way. What he wants is for me to tell the accountant what HE wants and how HE wants it done. HE doesn't want to even visit the accountant. I told him what HE wants may not be the way it needs to be done and that he needs to do what is asked of him or go in there himself and explain why he doesn't want it done that way.

I find the whole thing ridiculous and annoying to the hilt.

So, besides this today I am focused on getting the house in order, the kitchen dishes done and staying on my food plan.

I attended a support group last night instead of my TOPS meeting which I just cannot bring myself to go to. While their material is pretty good concerning food plans and such, I can't take the meeting itself. No real support and honestly, it is really not what I am looking for. I did get a phone call from the treasurer asking where I was, would I be back, and I lied. Yeah. I did. I said I had a class but I should have said I found another meeting to attend cause I did and I am happy about it. I think I will find what I need there.

So today's plan: look for paperwork - clean up kitchen all or part (will set a timer for this cause that works best with me) - get dinner into crock pot - track food - dance a little for exercise - write out food plan.

Billblueeyes Ooooooo watching mold die while reading about Jack the Ripper. Yes. Sounds perfect. I can totally picture it. It's how I feel about doing dishes - until they are all done and clean. I do not enjoy "the process" at all. Perhaps I'll find an audiobook about Jack the Ripper so someone can read to me while I wash them. Hey. that might actually be a good idea. thanks.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #144  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Too busy but still focusing on food choices. Today starts the unknown....but always starts with our smoothie. I think I'm taking the girl I sponsor in AA to lunch and a meeting and told DH that I was certain dinner would be at my moms. I've proven via Beck skills that I can make healthy choices and I plan to. Credit.

Must head out. Take care everyone.

Xena, great job getting to your normal BMI! Beck skills will help you maintain!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 08-20-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #145  
Enjoying la bella vita

I failed myself. I decided to take DH out for dinner to treat us for our first night together in a few ... and ran through a number of great places in my mind from expensive to not so much ... ended up at Panda Express for the first time. Blew 950 calories on one meal. Left a lot and didn't choose to bring it home for another splurge of a meal. I self-sabotaged.

PHOOEY.

Goal for tomorrow - light but healthy. Lunch for coworker is at real mexican spot here, not chain. We're loaded with them. I can do well there. I will. Of course, first thought is to skip breakfast.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #146  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking evening update

Coaches! First full day OP in a long time. I have decided to focus on mindfulness and consciousness while eating. One of my rules for knowing if I am OP or not is how full am I? I no longer wish to eat to over-full or to painfully over-full. I've been there several times over the last month with the worst bout of this this past weekend. It must stop. So my plan for myself is this:

I am OP when:
-I eat three meals a day and 2 snacks
-I abstain from sugar
-I continuously check myself while eating, always trying to see how full I am
-when I am full I stop eating
-I check in here
-I plan my meals
-I read/listen to support material daily
-I do not have seconds
-I tolerate any "negative" emotions that arise from not indulging in food or eating until overful. I do other things besides eat to calm myself.
-I spend some time each day looking after the things I have neglected or procrastinated over.
-I repeat these steps daily and know I can only look after myself one meal at a time, and if I take care of the days the future will take care of itself. I stay in the present moment as much as possible with my food.

That's where I am at today. I was going to weigh in this morning but Caesar knocked both the wii fit controllers off their base so they were both out of juice. I'll have to take a starting weight tomorrow.

Thanks for being here. Bye for now.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:58 AM   #147  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - National Senior Citizens Day (Ronald Reagan, 1988)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to Trader Joe's for the standard nuts and raisins. Avoided Whole Foods and their FREE samples. In the evening, walked again to return a DVD to a brick-and-mortar rental place. There's only a few of these left for those of us who have chosen not to be Netflix'd up. Enjoyed their displays of Robin Williams movies and Lauren Bacall movies.

Food was only OKish. Dinner on the patio was in long sleeved shirts; it's gotten chilly around here. DW had found Yellow Zucchini at Whole Foods - not Yellow Squash. It tastes like . . . zucchini yet looks like Yellow Squash. Don't know the advantage. The chilly weather has sapped the growth of our tomatoes; they may be done.

onebyone – It's my current goal to get to the point of "slowly, incrementally, tackling the things that need to be tackled" - Kudos to you for being there. [LMAO at the image of you listening to Jack the Ripper while doing dishes with clenched teeth.] Kudos for that full day on-plan.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos that "Lots of busy-ness" doesn't prevent "Exercise: +55". (To help you prepare for England, I put the period outside the quotation mark.)

Debbie (Lexxiss) – This is just the kind of encouragement that I need, "I can make healthy choices and I plan to."

nationalparker – And your response is for a good day tomorrow - Kudos.

Xena31 - Congrats on reaching the normal BMI range. Glad that you've got your Beck Green Book. Let the fun begin.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

The Numbers on the Scale
. . . . .On any given day, the number on the
scale is exactly what it should be,
given what you
. . .ate, how much energy you expended in the
.past few days, the amount of fluid your body is
. . retaining, and other biological influences.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 172.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #148  
Enjoying la bella vita

Thanks, Bill - I needed to see that the "number on the scale is exactly what it should be" ... because I'm UP and need the reality of what my choices are doing... some is weight and some is water weight, but regardless, it's up. Temptation was to skip the scale with the Chinese indulgence last night, but really, what good does that do me?

I had a reasonable breakfast and will go out with close to 20 people for a mexican lunch for the departing coworker today. Aim to order wisely and not return to the office berating myself for choices. I feel I'm in a funk now, and worry that I'm heading down a road that will continue to result with gained weight. Instead of seeing this as a blip, I'm viewing it as a major issue, and that's absurd. Healthy, light meals must be my focus.

Found some REALLY cute garden stones that I am going to splurge and purchase ... one will be a christmas gift for sister-in-law ... zen animal garden sculptures is the subject and I'm enchanted by them ALL. I don't like a lot of misc. stuff in my gardens, but these will work their way into my life. A while ago, I bought a sign that read: Today I am as happy as a bird with a french fry. DH thought it was goofy, but I can tell you that every time I see that sign in the morning, it puts a smile on my face

Updated: Left about 1/3 of my lunch portion but did eat 12 chips/salsa. C- if rating my effort. Slippery slope. Why do I see this behaviour as so scary when it's me but talk others back from the ledge saying it's just a blip when it's not me?

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #149  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Holy buckets, I just typed a long message and then deleted it somehow. Guess it was meant to be.

My husband and I returned last evening from 5 days in Minnesota visiting friends. We had a fabulous time, but diet and exercise was not up to snuff. I will give myself credit for getting on the scale this am . . . right back up to 155.

Today is a major reboot and get organized day. The laundry is done and good healthy food purchased. I'll get back to the gym tomorrow. I have a much needed hair appointment this afternoon. I'm a bit sick of covering the gray, but my husband is not ready for me to leave it . . . .so for now it gets colored.

I think I'd better dive back in to the Beck Book and try to stay motivated. We leave for Washington on September 2nd and I'd like to be down a couple of pounds before then. Once I'm back from Washington on Sepember 17th life will become much more routine. Typically I hike at least 12 hours a week and by then it will be cool enough to do it. Part of what I like about hiking is that I am away from home and distracted. It isn't that I don't have some food, but it is well planned.

I'm glad to see many of you are being much more successful than I am. I will get there because I am not going to give up . . . . EVER.

Karen
Old 08-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #150  
Enjoying la bella vita

Thanks for your post, Karen - I needed to see that someone else is getting a reboot and not treating it as more than it is. I admire your hiking time - hoping to get myself back on the trail more often. Airing up the bike tires for some short rides this weekend so I'm more comfortable on my bike (that I swear is too high for me and I feel like I'm going to fall over whenever I stop!)
Closed Thread