Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #1  
No Matter What!

S/C/G: 264/257/145

Default Some questions after day one

I survived day one of induction and it wasn't so bad. However, I did notice a few things and was wondering if someone can shed some light for me.

First, I went to the bathroom like crazy. Seriously, I must have peed a thousand times yesterday. You might think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not! Let me tell you, ladies, yesterday had nothing on the nine months of pregnancy peeing that I did! I do recall reading in the book that this is normal, but what I don't recall is if it goes away! Is this just an initial side effect that will eventually go away? I have always been a major water drinker so my fluid intake didn't really increase from any other normal day. The only thing that changed was my food intake.

Second, I was really, really hungry most of the day but I ate a lot of food. It felt like I shouldn't be that hungry for as much food as I ate. I will break the budget if I eat this much vegetables, meat, eggs, cheese, etc every day! Does your appetite even out or is this just something you have to deal with?

Thanks for your wisdom - I appreciate it!
teensie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

The first day on any new plan is tough- induction is really tough the first few days on Atkins IMO.

Are you sure you were really hungry or you were eating out of boredom or something else? Maybe keep a log of each time you ate and how hungry you felt?

It does get better though- I don't do Atkins, I do south beach, and over time I have missed carbs less and less. I am shocked that I can turn away things like french fries and ice cream and so on when before I'd eat a large set of fries or a bowl of ice cream and still want more.

Last edited by beerab; 04-06-2010 at 02:19 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by teensie3 View Post
Second, I was really, really hungry most of the day but I ate a lot of food.
Would you mind posting your menu for the day?
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #4  
No Matter What!

Sure, here's what I ate:

Breakfast: 2 egg omelet with cheese and bacon

Lunch: 2 deviled eggs, huge salad (a large plate piled quite high!) with ranch dressing

Snack: 3 more deviled eggs (normally don't eat so many eggs but I happened to make some for Easter dinner and had a lot leftover)

Another snack: tomato, mozzarella, basil salad with olive oil, salt, pepper

Dinner: big bowl of green beans (probably about 2 cups worth) with a little butter and salt, hamburger patty with cheese, mustard, and a slice of tomato

It feels like a lot of food. Or maybe it feels like a lot because it's more fatty than I'm used to "allowing" for the day and that just played with my mind. Interestingly enough, today I've only had an omelet (ham and cheese) and a big pile of green beans and it's 2:30 in the afternoon and I'm only now just getting hungry. So today it completely opposite of yesterday. Also, now I have major "runs" today (TMI, I know) - I thought everyone got constipated, not the other way around!?!?! Also, as I mentioned in another post around here somewhere, the book I bought was the New Atkins New You one so it may be different from the original Atkins but everything I ate was "allowed" on the list in that book.

I'd love feedback from a veteran. Is this really a lot of food or not? Are my bathroom symptoms normal and can I expect them to balance out soon?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by teensie3 View Post
Sure, here's what I ate:

Breakfast: 2 egg omelet with cheese and bacon

Lunch: 2 deviled eggs, huge salad (a large plate piled quite high!) with ranch dressing

Snack: 3 more deviled eggs (normally don't eat so many eggs but I happened to make some for Easter dinner and had a lot leftover)

Another snack: tomato, mozzarella, basil salad with olive oil, salt, pepper

Dinner: big bowl of green beans (probably about 2 cups worth) with a little butter and salt, hamburger patty with cheese, mustard, and a slice of tomato

It feels like a lot of food. Or maybe it feels like a lot because it's more fatty than I'm used to "allowing" for the day and that just played with my mind. Interestingly enough, today I've only had an omelet (ham and cheese) and a big pile of green beans and it's 2:30 in the afternoon and I'm only now just getting hungry. So today it completely opposite of yesterday. Also, now I have major "runs" today (TMI, I know) - I thought everyone got constipated, not the other way around!?!?! Also, as I mentioned in another post around here somewhere, the book I bought was the New Atkins New You one so it may be different from the original Atkins but everything I ate was "allowed" on the list in that book.

I'd love feedback from a veteran. Is this really a lot of food or not? Are my bathroom symptoms normal and can I expect them to balance out soon?
Your menu looks good. I would be mindful of the cheese. While it is allowed (3-4 oz per day), many find its a "staller" (myself included). I limit cheese to maybe an oz or 2 and I don't have it everyday. The main focus is that you are getting 20 net carbs, 12-15 coming from veggies & salads. Dr. Atkins described eggs as the perfect food and I would agree. I eat at least 2 everyday, usually more. Fat is also your friend on Atkins. Atkins is a high fat eating plan so, full fat salad dressing, mayo, butter, heavy cream etc. are all permitted.
As for the bathroom symptoms, I have never experienced those issues on Atkins but, have read where others say that could be your body's way of initially reacting to eating fat. It should get better and your hunger should subside.
The beauty of Atkins is, you shouldn't be hungry and if you are EAT....something low carb & "allowed" of course!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #6  
No Matter What!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure what's going on with all these symptoms, but hopefully everything will balance itself out soon. I'll continue on my merry way and see what happens. Thanks!