Old 12-15-2006, 09:18 AM   #1  
LLV

Default This Week's Healthiest Food - Sweet Potatoes!

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Oh how I love sweet potatoes. Every week I buy 2 of the individually wrapped sweet potatoes from the produce section (I've found they last a little longer wrapped up in that plastic) and stick them in my fridge and have them a couple of times a week for lunch.

Sometimes I like them plain with just a little bit of butter spray and other times I like to sweeten them up a little by sprinkling on a tiny amount of brown sugar.

Another favorite thing I love to do that I've posted about before and is SO yummy is I soften a tablespoon of fat-free cream cheese and to that I add a little bit of brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Mix it all up and put it on top of my baked sweet potato. It's so good!

How you do fix yours? I could use some new ideas
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

You know, I really want to like sweet potatoes. I've only tried them once, and did not like them.

I would be interested in knowing a good way to prepare them so that I can try to like them!
thintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:27 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I like mine best just baked with a little butter and cinnamon. Sometimes I add a little splenda. They are also good sliced like fries, misted with some olive oil, and salted, then baked until tender.

I also love sweet potato pie, but it's too high in fat, sugar, and calories to eat that way anymore.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hmmm, I might try the fries idea. Maybe I would like them if they were crispy.
thintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #5  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

I could eat sweet potatoes until I turned into one. I'm halfway there with the red hair I guess!

I prefer them cut up into wedges, tossed in olive oil, sea salt, ground black pepper and paprika and baked in the oven. Crunchy on the outside, soft and tender on the inside.

Mmmmmm.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #6  
LLV

Here's a bunch of nutritional and other info about sweet potatoes

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=69
Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
Another favorite thing I love to do that I've posted about before and is SO yummy is I soften a tablespoon of fat-free cream cheese and to that I add a little bit of brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Mix it all up and put it on top of my baked sweet potato. It's so good!
I just tried this idea for the first time this week (first time in my life I've ever had a baked sweet potato). It was so good and I cannot believe I've spent my whole life eating regular baked potatoes!

Here is a recipe for sweet potatoes that is a little different:

Lime Cilantro Sweet Potatoes
  • 2 lbs sweet potatoes, diced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 3/4 tsp salt, divided
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp grated lime zest
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro

Toss sweet potatoes with 1/2 tbsp olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt. Arrange in one layer in shallow baking pan and place in oven at 425 degrees. Bake for about 25 minutes, until tender, stirring halfway through.

Mix together remaining ingredients (including remaining 1/2 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt). Toss gently with cooked potatoes.

Makes 4 servings at about 230 calories each (3.5g fat, .5g saturated fat, 7g fiber, 10g sugar, 3.5g protein)
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
I just tried this idea for the first time this week (first time in my life I've ever had a baked sweet potato). It was so good and I cannot believe I've spent my whole life eating regular baked potatoes!
I'm glad you liked it. I just had one today, in fact

Your recipe sounds yummy!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #9  
Meg

I make chipolte chili oven fries.

I peel mine, cut them into wedges, spray them with PAM and sprinkle with this mixture:

1 tablespoon Splenda
1/2 teaspoon chipolte chili powder (adjust to suit your taste)
1/2 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet and spray again with PAM. Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes, turning them over halfway, until lightly browned.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #10  
LLV

You know, as much as I adore sweet potatoes, I tried sweet potato fries a couple of times and didn't really care for them.

Maybe I'll try this recipe next time to see if they're any better.

Maybe it's a mentality type of thing. When I eat "fries" I'm expecting the taste of a french fry. And when the sweet potato fries didn't really 'get it' for me, I turned my nose up at them, lol.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I like mine roasted with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper in a hot oven (~450 although if i am baking something else I just go with whatever temp) until they start to caramelize a tiny bit.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 207/205/150

Height: 5'6

I like potatoes baked, fried, roasted and I so want to try this sweet potato thing. The only time I have ever eaten them is at Thanksgiving and that was with all kinds of stuff on them.

I like Meg's suggestion a lot and will try it. Do they come out crispy or are they a little mushy? Is that recipe for one potato or more?

Linda,
Regarding your cream cheese baked potato. How large are the potatoes your using? Do you have to poke them before you put them in? How long and at what temp?
Giovanni Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #13  
Meg

I use two big sweet potatoes in my recipe, which ends up being four servings. They're not crispy like French fries but are soft on the inside and a little crispy on the outside. Let me know what you think!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #14  

Sweet potato and black bean burritos.. the best! I might make this next week for work lunches. These freeze well too.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #15  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni Bubby View Post
Linda,
Regarding your cream cheese baked potato. How large are the potatoes your using? Do you have to poke them before you put them in? How long and at what temp?
I buy those individually wrapped sweet potatoes from the produce section, they're like "shrink-wrapped" and ready for the microwave. You don't need to poke them and they cook in about 6-7 minutes on high.

I'd say they're about a medium size. They're not real small, but they're not the great big ones, either.