Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #1  
Chicken Wings!

S/C/G: 150/140/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Beach Watcher? SB? WW? Help!

I am back, after a MUCH needed "break" from all the dieting stuff. And believe it or not, I'm actually down 4 lbs since the last time I was on here. (Don't be jealous, it was all muscle mass, I'm sure!)
Soooo after my 3 months on WW, and a semi-successful weightloss, I found myself on an incredibly horrible plateau (I'm talking a month with NO WEIGHT LOSS!) And I had my tonsils removed on Nov 20th and I lost 6 lbs so now I'm teetering on 134-135. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.
I wanted to start SB diet, but it looks SOOO incredibly complicated. (Having to remember what you can and can't eat) I'm not sure if its the diet for me. WW worked, because I could eat whatever I wanted, and the consequence of being hungry because I ate something I shouldn't have helped me stay on course.
What is a beach watcher? Should I stick to WW? Count calories? I am also afraid to go back to the gym, afraid of gaining back the weight I lost from my surgery and not being allowed to work out.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

You will have to make the decision on your own.

SBD (aka Beach Watchers) is really simple to follow but can be 'restrictive' in nature.

W/W has Core which is very similar to SBD and it has the points.

I will say that on SBD and eating mostly Core foods on W/W I was never hungry.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #3  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Height: 5'6"

DH and I did SBD for about a month and it wore us out with all the cooking. Good gracious, we couldn't get a day off from it.

And I'm allergic to shellfish so it slowed me down.

On the other hand, it works for a lot of people.

Best of success with whatever you decide.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I did SBD/WW before the Core plan came out and liked it and lost some weight. I wasn't as successful as I could have been as I had off plan days each week due to my WW meetings and dance classes where I had to eat on the run to make it to the meetings and my class on time.

It is really a lot of work though as you have to really menu plan using the SBD books and menus and working out the points at the same time. If you have the time, inclination and patience to do the work it is worth it. SBD is a bit restrictive in the fact that you can't eat certain foods and can't rely on conveniece foods in a pinch. As waterbaby pointed out, there is a lot of cooking involved.

Personally I would try out WW again but maybe reduce your carb intake at the same time. See if you can work around your schedule. After you get into the swing of things again you might try working some SBD in there.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/177.5/135

Height: 5'6"

Hi Jenn, first, love your dog!
I did sb and was hugely successful. Lost the weight and it was really not a problem. Until I tried to start eating "normally". gained all of it back plus some. I've been on ww for a few months, and am slowly and surely losing. I also eat everything, including carbs. My opinion is ww all the way. It's a little more work work with journaling and all, but i feel like it's worth it.
Good luck!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:22 AM   #6  
Chicken Wings!

S/C/G: 150/140/130

Height: 5'2"

Sorry about the delayed response, but as always, I got wonderful advice from you ladies!
Today is my first *official* day back on WW. I am so exicted, seeing how I only have 5 more lbs to go to meet my goal. I stopped at Tim Hortons this morning and got a small hot chocolate, and came to work and calculated it worth 5 pts! I'm drinking half and throwing the rest away!
What is your thoughts on fruit? I could eat fruit allllll day long. My favorite is pineapple. I haven't had a peice in over a month, and I'm DYING to get some, but I know its FULL of sugar. What is the lowest point valued fruit, and how much fruit am I allowed a day?
I realized with my month off, just last night when eating dinner, that my eating habits have changed. We had chicken for dinner, with mashed potatoes and corn. I took probably a cup of corn, and ate the entire thing before I had anything else. Matter of fact, I didnt even finish my potatoes!
Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:46 AM   #7  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

It's a tough decision! But really, can't you do pretty much whatever you want on Weight Watchers as long as you are counting your points? I mean, I have never followed any diet at all really, but I have researched and tried different things out for myself like more protein, less carbs, no fruit, lots of fruit, low on the glycemic index, no white flour, etc. Honestly, in my opinion, experimenting for what works best for YOU can always be fit into the WW program.

Good luck whatever you decide!!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Good for you! Be careful with the pineapple - a friend of mine was pigging out on it thinking it was okay because it was fruit but then couldn't figure why she gained 2 lbs in one week!

I think fresh pineapple is best just have small amounts of it or mix a bit of it in with a fresh fruit salad.

My favorite fruits for snacking on are pears, granny smith apples and mandarin oranges.
Closed Thread