Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:38 AM   #1  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Accepting Compliments

How funny, I LOVE to compliment others---I'll tell you all day long how I love your new haircut, your top, etc...But now that I'm losing the weight and everyone fusses all over ME (ME!) I get all weirded out, my voice changes and I do this strange "awwww" crazy noise thing or say, "oh STOP it" and I just can't smile and say "thank you". Will I just get better at it or what? I feel a little like I sell myself out if I don't just stand tall and say "Thank you, it has been a lot of hard work, but I feel so good now." Sometimes I just tell people thank you for saying something, because the comments keep me motivated to keep going. I'm getting better but I do still make the aforementioned noise. Sometimes I do this silly little shimmy shake and strike a model pose. Sometimes I actually PUT MYSELF DOWN and say, "well jeez, I still shop in plus sized stores, still have 70 pounds to go, I'm only halfway there", etc. etc. etc. WHY WHY WHY?! I am proud of myself dammit!

A huge landmark in my life happened this past weekend, a really good looking man HIT ON ME (ME!)! In my old life, I would have taken his interest for sarcasm or childish boys who used to pretend to like me as a joke. But he was really flirting with me---not considering doing anything about it, (we're both married and I kind of know his wife!) but all this emotion floods me, feeling new feelings, trying to let go of my insecurities. I barely even remember how to flirt back! How easy I must be, a little male attention just sends me LOL.

So how do you handle yourselves when others make such a big deal about how you look?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:51 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I totally understand what you're saying! When I get compliments, I don't know how to handle it. God bless my DBF,he is always telling me how beautiful he thinks I am & how proud of me he is. I am still having a hard time recognizing the person looking back at me when I look in the mirror...KWIM??
Old 12-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Smile

Well I sure as heck don't have any answers for you.

Whenever someone tells me how good I look with all of the weightloss, I just put myself down, "Oh, no I still have a looonnggg way to go" or "No, I won't be auditioning for America's Next Top Model anytime soon", My kids have noticed that I do this and they tell me why can't I just say thank you? I experienced some of the male attention this past weekend, and it was something I haven't had to deal with in a long, long time. So I just blushed, I felt my face go on fire - something you don't wanna do. I definitely need to work on that, don't ya think? But Michelle, I guess this should be the worst problem we ever have to deal with - dealing with compliments. Who woulda thunk it?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #4  

I know what you mean! I still think of myself as the 240 lb. girl I used to be! I still FEEL unattractive... so when my DBF tells me I'm pretty, I still feel some doubts. I've had to make myself say "thank you" instead of "you've never seen me naked". lol I guess after years of self-doubt and dislike overall, it's hard to believe/accept the good things. However, it doesn't make the compliments any less true.
Closed Thread