Old 12-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #1  
I hate chub-rub!

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy Swift kick in the pants, please

I am always putting off the weight loss until a time that is more convenient, but what I must realize is that there will never be a time where the life change I need will be "convenient". I found out mid-October that I was being laid off, and stress, lack of care, and worry caused me to gain my highest weight ever, 199.6 lbs. I feel so humiliated, not only bc of loss in job security, but also bc I said I would never EVER be 200lbs, and I am .4 away from a total breakdown. And want to know the shocking thing? That didn't stop me from going to a Chinese buffet. I don't know WHAT is wrong with me. I want a new start to life, and just yesterday I got a foot-in-the-door to my dream job. I desperately need a drill sergeant style swift kick of reality to get me started, or else I will never get out from behind my desk. Please help!
kellibee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #2  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

You basically have 2 choices here.
1. You lose the weight.
2. You don't.

Nothing but good will come of your health and lifestyle with the first choice. The second choice, however, contains a lot more risk. Health-wise, you could get diabetes, heart disease, a fatty liver that may fail on you, corroded arteries that could lead to a heart attack.

Was that swift enough? :P
The good news is, this place is AMAZING. All the people here are AMAZING. If you're looking for a strong support network, you've come to the right place. We all have tid bits on what works for us with weight loss. I chose calorie counting and exercise because it is something that I can do the rest of my life without having to worry about "reintroducing" real food back in to my life.
The first thing I started out with was eating whole foods, non processed foods, smaller portions, more frequently. Since then I have removed things like red meat from my diet (personal choice, not for health reasons), HFCS (wherever possible), and have slowly been able to lower my calories. I am not losing "20 pounds in 20 days," or anything like that, but I am losing at a comfortable rate, and I'm growing stronger and stronger every day.
Next hurdle to kick, smoking!

Good luck You can do this, you just have to be realistic about it. Congratulations on the dream job, you are worth the weight loss!

~Mande
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #3  
*confetti*

S/C/G: 270.9/176.1/165

Instead of viewing it as a diet or some daunting lifestyle change, just make the effort to eat better and move more.

Your eating habits don't have to make a 180 overnight, however make the effort to incorporate healthy unprocessed foods in favor of junkfood and refined carbs. For example, use whole wheat bread in your sandwich instead of white bread.

I know that if I tried to change my diet radically overnight, I would never stick to it. Instead I gradually upgraded my diet and watched my portion sizes.

As for exercise, consider it as important as any other appointment and choose a time that you know you can do it uninterrupted. I started out walking for fifteen minutes/five days a week. As my fitness increased, so did my workouts.

There will be days in which you REALLY don't want to exercise--but do it anyway.
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #4  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Mande- Total AMEN to your whole post. I lost 10 lbs this November (joined in late Oct) and there are no words to describe how much this site has helped me. It's so wonderful to have a support group that is right there in the trenches with me or has battled their way out. Check out the Goal Photo Album for a little inspiration.

As for eating plans... You have to go with what's right for you. I chose South Beach (I still keep an eye on my calories though and try and stay in the 1200-1300 range), because I love the food and the lifestyle works for me. It's something I can live with for the rest of my life. I've been really pleased; cutting out all that sugar, HFCS, white flour, etc has cleared up my skin, given me more energy, aided my digestion, etc. Not to mention losing 25 lbs!

I also gave up my car and started walking everywhere. I walk between 4-6 miles a day and exercise like a mo fo. I hate starting, but I love the way I feel when I finish: like a CHAMP! Side benifits? I sleep so much better and my anxiety attacks have drastically reduced. Like almost never.

One of the most meaningful quotes I found here is this:

It's not about willpower. It's about willingness.

I have 0 willpower. But I do have the willingness. I want this more than I want the cookie. I want this more than I want to sit on my butt. I want it more, so I'm willing to do what it takes.

Be mindful of your eating. Try writing down everything you put in your mouth; no cheating! If you know you have to write it down and be accountable to yourself, you'll be less likely to pull into the buffet.

And remember, always: YOU CAN DO THIS. It is within the scope of YOUR reality. It is possible, it is attainable and keepable.

Ps- on your new, fab job!!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I totally understand your situtation. When I was in high school I was 175 and said I would never reach 200, when I was 200 I said I would never reach 250 when I was 250 I said I would never reach 300. When I hit 300 I realized that I needed to make a major lifestyle change because the weight was not going away on its own. I looked around on the internet, meet with a nutritionist, and eventually decided that calorie counting and eliminating sugar was the best plan for me (and now I’m on a low fat diet because of gallstones). I even allow some sugar in moderation. I decided that I was going to be in control of my eating and not let food be in control of me.

I lurked around 3fc for probable 4 months before I actually joined and since joining I come here almost every day. I find the support to be amazing (the drill sergeant that you need), I find the structure of posting my meals on the daily post to be helpful, I enjoy reading other people daily meal plans helpful on discovering healthy ideas, I love the food forum it gives me ideas of how to cook things and answers some of the dumb cooking questions I have. Reading other peoples triumphs (and sometimes failures) are very encouraging. Although my family is becoming more supportive now I really find this website helps me find the support that I need to succeed. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you around here more.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #6  
Proud US Navy Wife

Comming as someone who has crossed over the 200 mark more than once, I can feel your pain. And I understand what you mean about 'putting it off.' You have to realize that starting to do something like a lifestyle change (which it has to be, in order to get to and maintain a healthy weight) is difficult. But once you get started, get into it, and start seeing the numbers drop, you realize that not only you can do it, but you want to do it!

One of the biggest and most important part of doing this is support.. which is why these forums are so amazing. I don't think I would have gotten as far as I have without these guys to push me up when I really needed it. Last year, I lost 25 lbs, then disappeared from here and started to regain. This year, when I felt that comming on, I posted on here, and got wonderful support, telling me I can do it.. and I can!

If you haven't seen it already, check out the Things We've Learned thread that Jamie started... it has some great points in there that you might find helpful!
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #7  

Everyone has given such great advice already and i am probably going to repeat some things but just start making changes and vow to stick to them. Start trying to eat healthy and exercise 3 times a week and slowly try to increase your exercise week after week as well as slowly get on a healthier diet. Dont change drastically everything over night. It will set you up for failure if you try and turn your life upside down overnight. As far as cutting out HFCS, I have to say that i am not completely convinced its the reason for gaining weight. I say start slow and get a good diet and exercise in your life first. Good luck and i hope that helps.
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #8  
Losing To Live

Velveeta: I'm not convinced it causes weight gain specifically, either, but I do tend to notice that after eating something with HFCS in it, I tend to have huge amounts of cravings, or tend to binge. It's almost like it's addictive!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #9  
I hate chub-rub!

Thumbs up

WoW! Thank you all so much for your advice! I hopped over to the Things We've Learned thread (that I should have read before I posted) which was chockful of things that hit home. Some posts here really hit home, too. A year and a half a go I lost 25lbs, but have slowly gained it back. Part of my struggle is that this is my first semester of full time work + 16 credits of college together, along with all the other work junk. This can leave me drained at the end of the day if I'm not careful about what I eat to keep me fueled. My choice is do I prep tomorrow's food or do I study for an extra 1/2 hr? I've always chosen school before, but I'm gonna have to treat food like a class, and you all will be my professors Thanks again, and I'll definitely be sticking around.

Last edited by kellibee2000; 12-05-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #10  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Hi Kellibee... You are right on the money that there is no convenient time for weight loss. It has just got to be part of your regular life. It's better that way anyway because if you can live a healthy lifestyle while working and going to school, then you can do it anytime!! To make it work, it has to be a priority in your life just like your school work and your work and anything else you care about. It IS possible for sure.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellibee2000 View Post
, but I'm gonna have to treat food like a class, and you all will be my professors

A+! Keep it up!

I know for myself I slip big time when I don't take food seriously. When its role in my life is not as fuel, but as comfort, convenience, entertainment... It is a major part of our lives and we have to give it the attention it needs. I mean, not to the point of obsessing over what you're going to eat at dinner for four hours, but I mean committing yourself to taking that extra half hour, if that means you'll eat better the next day. Or committing yourself to an extra 15 minutes of food prep time in order to make a healthy dinner.

I think Fae said in that thread she linked to... You really can't wait until you're motivated to do something. You just have to do it. Start doing it and you'll realize it would take too much effort to turn back, or that you're enjoying what you're doing after all. It IS kind of like class in that you have to be dedicated in order to do well. No half-assing allowed!

Good luck, hope to see you around again!!
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #12  
Losing To Live

Hear, hear! I 100% agree with Jamie! What a way to put it in to perspective everyone!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/See Ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm glad that someone else has put this in perspective. I've said numerous times that I want to lose weight before I travel to France next summer, but even though I say it all the time, I'm still not doing much to make it happen. I workout for about a week, then I take like a month off not doing anything. My biggest problem is fast food. I'm a high school teacher and by the time 4:30 comes around and I'm on my way home after a long day of students and meetings I don't want to cook, so I stop and get take out. I'm actually planning on cutting out a small picture of the Eifel Tower to put in my car to remind me not to drive through that drive through. I'm also going to start making extra food at dinner, so I have leftovers to eat, instead of takeout. Hopefully I can make this change for myself. Right now I'm back up around 200, and I REFUSE to change my ticker unless its going down, so my ticker is going to say 196 for awhile, but thats okay I guess. Wish me luck!!!
KCWMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 205/195/150

Height: 5'3"

Two weeks ago I was 185 and now I've been stuck at 193-196. That Thanksgiving weekend got me too. Exercise is kinda hard right now because about two months ago I hurt my back at work. It hasn't been quite the same since. It doesn't take much to make it hurt now so not sure what kinda exercises I can do???
pandaz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #15  
I hate chub-rub!

KCWMU - I wish you luck, but what I've learned from the forum is that you don't need it, be like Nike and Just Do It or it may never get done . I'm getting a real wake up call on needing to take better care of myself. Just came back from a grumpy dentist, and needless to say, Not Good.

Pandaz - I know how you feel. Last I knew I was 185, too, then all of a sudden, 196. But no pity party for me, I just have to pull my s* together, and my first step to being healthier is also easiest, drink more water and eat with good sense.

Bless that I'll have the will to not dip into the cheeseball and keep the chocolate to a minimum...and stuff stockings w/ oranges and jump ropes.