Old 11-27-2006, 06:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/187/154

Height: 5'6"

Default Prozac and the Pump

Hi everyone,

I am Misa and am new to this forum. I posted this as a reply to another thread by accident the first time around. Not so internet savvy, but getting there.

Anyone here live in the South?

Anyone on Prozac? I just started it about a month ago. Got off of the evil Paxil, thank the Lord.

Also, I'm on the Deltec Cozmo pump for about a year, but thinking about going off, it drives me crazy having something attached to me all the time. I miss the 4 shots a day, which could be given and forgotten until the next one.

Any thoughts welcome.

Misa
IamMisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:02 AM   #2  

Hi Misa! I am in Atlanta...in the Duluth area. Where are you? I don't know much about Prozac, OR the pump...I am a somewhat recently diagnosed type 2, and control it with diet and exercise and metformin and Byetta. With the Byetta, it is two shots a day, and I have a hard time working out the right time for them. I can see how a pump might be nice, but annoying at the same time. Hope to see you hanging around here...
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi MISA

I'm Linda and I'm from one of the more southern parts of Canada. Somehow, I don't think that was quite what you meant.

I'm a Type II diabetic, but I do use Insulin as well as Glyburide, Metformin, and Actos. Somehow I don't think I'd miss my two shots a day . . . but I don't think I'd like the idea of being attached to a pump mechanism all the time either.

I do use Fluoxetine . . . have been taking 20 mg once a day for at least 15 years. I tried Paxil instead for about a year (when my stress levels seemed to be extremely high) and had terrible headaches so my doctor and I decided to stick with the older drug. I know there was a lot of bad press about Prozac (Fluoxetine) when it first came on the market -- it was blamed for several people committing suicide. Personally, I think it was being over prescribed because it was so new. It has been a real wonder drug for me and controls the chemical imbalance that is the root of my depression quite well. Hope it works as well for you.

Hope you'll join us on our regular daily "Dieting with Diabetes" thread. We'll all look forward to your company. Keep moving and shaking, girl.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #4  

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your response. I was on 40 mg of Prozac, but it was awful and now I am on 20 mg, which is much better. The strangest things are I get up every day at 6am, no fail, and I can't read a novel or watch a movie(I have too much nervous energy). I am taking it for OCD and anxiety, not depression, so its kind of an odd Rx for me, I think.

The pump's not so bad when I wear something with patch pockets (not slash pockets) but that's kind of limiting. It has its plusses and minuses.

As for me joining the thread, is that what this is?
Thanks,
Misa
Old 11-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #5  

Do you have to take the shots at the same time every day? I had flexibility of time when I took shots.

You're right - one should never wish for taking shots again!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #6  

I'm in Sandy Springs.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #7  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi again MISA . . .

Of course, you are right . . . a thread is simply a grouping of posts all kind of related to the same topic. This is a thread . . . one that you started that is specifically related to Prozac and Insulin Pumps and thus will not attract comments from too many people that are not familiar with one or the other of those two items. That's why we have the more general (and, therefore, more popular) "Dieting with Diabetes" that we mostly all post to on a fairly regular basis.

In response to your question . . . I use Humulin N which is an intermediate acting Insulin which peaks about 8 to 10 hours after injection. I use it at about 10 pm and again about 10 am. I tend to split my other meds so that I take half at breakfast and half at dinner. For those that I only take once a day, I take them at breakfast.

Afraid I don't know very much about Obsessive-Compulsive-Disorder, but I do know that Anxiety and Depression are much more closely related than one would think and Prozac is often perscribed for both problems.

You mentioned that you are pretty hyper early in the morning. Do you think that is related to the Prozac or is it a symptom of the OCD/Anxiety situation? If it is fairly new (i.e., since you started taking Prozac) make sure you mention it to your doctor.

Have a good day, kiddo . . . will look forward to chatting with you again soon either here or in the daily thread (or maybe, both).
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'5"

Hi. :-D I'm a diabetic on an insulin pump (minimed paradigm 712, steel cannula). I've been on it just for a few months. I used to be on zoloft and paxil, and was on prozac for a little while, due to OCD, panic disorder, and general anxiety. The OCD has subsided, except I must draw squares on any paper I write on, and I've learned to manage the panic and anxiety through biofeedback, and life has gotten less stressful. I am from the south . I went off the pump for a year and a half to return to shots.

I'm a fan of the year on, year off rotation, because it prevents burn out. Having something on you always is a pain the butt, so are injections. PM me if you want my instant message SN or email. I hope everything works out!
bride2bethin is offline   Reply With Quote