UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/197/132

Height: 5'4"

Default Best time to exercise?

Last year at the gym, I heard an instructor telling someone not to exercise early in the morning because it puts too much strain on the heart. I always go to the gym at 7am to get it out the way, otherwise I just don't go. Does anyone know if this may be doing more damage than good, or did that instructor give dodgy advice? I don't want to change my routine, going early is the only thing that works for me, but I don't want to be risking my health instead of improving it.
As a student, I'm usually at home most of the day anyway, so technically I could go anytime. Is there a better time of day to exercise???
wana wear a bikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:57 AM   #2  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

I have never heard that before. I prefer to exercise in the morning. I too think I would not exercise if I didn't go first thing in the morning. I know I stopped exercising for a little while as I was given misinformaton from a fitness instructor about running. I am now back running and loving it. I know my doctor said not to exercise later at night because it may stimulate you too much and you won't be able to sleep. I haven't had that problem.
Newlifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:39 AM   #3  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I've not heard that one before - most of the lifestyle books I've read recommend exercising first thing before eating breakfast if possible.

IMHO - and I'm no expert - I think the best time for anyone to exercise is when they are in the mood for it and when it fits in well in to your personal routine.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I exercise in the morning mainly and it hasn't done any harm. It might take longer to warm up, but exercising in the morning is certainly better than not exercising at all which is what usually happens if I plan to do it later!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #5  

Absolutely exercise when you feel that you will. I'm usually best late in the afternoon but on the weekends I know myself and if I don't do it first thing than most likely it won't happen or won't happen with the intensity it should.

I may not do as well in the morning but at least it's something. Today I ran and I felt very sluggish, much moreso than when I run late in the day, but I took a 5 minute walk break and ran another 20 minutes, overall did about 4 miles...I was shooting for 5 but 4 is better than 0.

Exercise when you want, just exercise
redsoxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

ANY cardio exercise "puts strain on your heart" - it's SUPPOSED to - that's why it's called CARDIO!

I think that "trainer" is speaking out of the wrong orifice!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:05 AM   #7  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Just a thought... maybe the trainer was giving advice to someone who has a heart condition/blood pressure problem.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/197/132

Height: 5'4"

Maybe you're right Sarah, didn't really think of that. Just wondered what everybodies thoughts were. I had a look on the net and most experts seem to think that the body performs better in late afternoon, but I just don't have the motivation to do that, it intrudes on my day too much. Gonna stick to 7am (if I can ever force myself to get out of bed that early again) and see what happens. It's got to be more beneficial than doing sweet F.A.
wana wear a bikini is offline   Reply With Quote