Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default motivation?

Just curious especially during this time of you...

What is your motivation to keep going on your exercise and food? Is there something that you say or do or think to yourself to keep going?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:13 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

this sounds strange... but my motivation to lose weight is knowning how much work I have to do to take it off - thus it helps keep my food intake in check, because no food is worth spending that mcuh time in the gym.

Plus, knowing how much of myself that I hide from others because I am so self-conscious with this extra weght.

Last edited by Crescendo; 11-21-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/159/148

Height: 5'6"

It helps for me that I just sort of started my quest in Nov. I always do better when something is new.

With exercise I have adopted a new philosophy because I really don't like it. I am officially in "training". Rather then think about working out as something that is helping me lose weight, I'm trying to think of going to the gym as training so each week I have a different goal to accomplish. This week is to swim 2 more laps each day then last week.

With the diet, ok this is going to sound bad, but I honestly think to myself...Look how much better I'm doing then everyone else. We've had food in the office all this week and I watch what everyone else is putting on their plates and I try to be better. I don't say anything out loud to others about trying to be good, because then it's almost like the reverse happens and I decide to cheat. I just think to myself, here are all these people who are using the holidays as an excuse to eat poorly, I'm smarter then them. I know that is probably bad to think, but it definitely gives me a boost of will power.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #4  
a brave new me...

I think of my weight loss efforts in terms of my self value. I have written about this in the past, but I am convinced that weight issues are 90% psychological and relate to are sense of self-worth. Mostly we just don't believe we are worth the sacrifice of exercising, giving up unhealthy junk food, making healthy food choices, skipping restaurants, counting calories, tracking food, measuring portions, weighing in, etc. It really is a sacrifice and if we don't believe we are worth that hard work, then we will eventually give up. Now when faced with a choice about sitting on the couch versus exercising or eating take out versus making something healty... I ask myself "am I worth the sacrifice" and the answer is always yes!

I also focus on asserting my will over my emotions. If we only succeed at weight loss when we are feeling positive or motivated, then we will ultimately fail. Now I force myself to do it despite the fact that every single cell in my body is screaming "NO". I heard a quote along the lines of "we are always in control of ourselves, its just that sometimes we control ourselves to do things we wish we hadn't." Don't have the original (it was more eloquent) but you get the point. We always have a choice... always. The vast majority of the time my emotions will betray my weight loss efforts and are a totally unreliable source of decision-making! I think Nike had it right... we need to "just do it" no matter how we are feeling.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

My motivation is to try to take care of myself now in order to avoid the health problems my family has had in the past - Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis and osteoporosis.
Closed Thread