General chatter - Are you Northwest posters OK?

View Full Version : Are you Northwest posters OK?

cbmare
11-08-2006, 01:41 PM
I've been hearing about the rains and some flooding.

Please be safe and let us know you're OK.

lizziness
11-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks! I'm up here, and while we are drenched my area at least is okay. Our coast is a mess though.
In fact, I'm supposed to go this weekend to a celtic music festival and I really hope some of the roads are cleared up by then. It would be very disappointing and expensive since tickets and deposits are non-refundable. :(

From the news, things are starting to get back to normal. I heard one man died due to the flooding, and there are several million dollar homes at stake (not that I feel so sorry for people with million dollar homes that build them on the side of a hill that is eroding)...

I hope that people closer to the coasts and rivers are okay, and I think further up north into Washington is having a harder time than this area.

Michelle
11-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Luckily we live up higher in elevation that it doesn't really affect us with flooding, but down below the hills in our town, the river and park always flood. On the news last night, it showed salmon swimming in the flooded waters in the streets. Luckily the winds have let up, but we're still getting heavy rain off and on, and the coast roads, even the detours, are horrible.:?: :(

LadyFirelyght
11-08-2006, 08:46 PM
I heard one man died due to the flooding
He was a friend of my second oldest sister, someone she works with. It's really sad.

mom2cole
11-08-2006, 09:02 PM
I am in Southern Oregon and we have had lots of rain, but no flooding. So where in Oregon are the rest of you? I am guessing Portland area?

lizziness
11-08-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm in Eugene, and I think we're too far south for any of the flooding to affect us.

It is really sad. It's mostly sad that we are never prepared for these things... especially since this is Oregon and hello it rains here. It's our thing. :) I think we need more prep training and really I think there should be regulations about where you can build...

Like maybe on the side of a hill that has been eroding into the sea... or right on the river. It's pretty there, and nice to visit... but a house is an expensive investment, you'd think people would want to put them where they would be nice and safe from obvious dangers like mudslides, hurricanes, etc.

EZMONEY
11-09-2006, 12:00 AM
tree huggers ;)

Michelle
11-09-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm about 20 miles south of Portland.

GARY...LOL!!!;)

lizziness
11-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Gary - you have no idea! There are people who live in trees here *LOL*

But I guess they'd be safe from any flooding. :D

EZMONEY
11-09-2006, 08:32 AM
MICHELLE AND LIZZINESS ~ I would pass near you both on my way from southern California up to south east Washington, when my wife and I built our retirement home . We have since sold it ~ oh, and at least 10 years away from retirement anyway!!

BEAUTIFUL country, I think a little too cold for me though. My best friend and his wife and my ex-wife's best friend (my friend too) live over in Bend. Angie and I go see them from time to time.

Stay dry!!

mom2cole
11-09-2006, 11:17 PM
tree huggers ;)

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "Hug a logger and you will never go back to trees!" Guess since my husband is a mill worker he is close enough for a logger to me! I live in Medford just 45 minutes from the California border on I-5.

I was actually born in Eugene though. My parents still live in a little town called Oakridge outside of Eugene. I love that little town.

lizziness
11-10-2006, 12:11 AM
I've lived here for 7 years and never been to Oakridge.. but I was born in Cottage Grove... scary. I swear all of the people that live there are related to me somehow....

I really freaked out one time I was at one of my family functions and saw one of my husbands relatives!!! She married into the family, or so she says. I'm still a little freaked out to find out I was distantly related to my husband BEFORE I married him. ew,

EZMONEY
11-10-2006, 09:22 AM
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "Hug a logger and you will never go back to trees!" Guess since my husband is a mill worker he is close enough for a logger to me! I live in Medford just 45 minutes from the California border on I-5.

I was actually born in Eugene though. My parents still live in a little town called Oakridge outside of Eugene. I love that little town.

My uncle lived in Medford for about 4 years in the late 70's early 80's, would still be there he says, except at that time ,he was in construction and just couldn't survive financially

cbmare
11-10-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm surprised that the storms up there haven't moved down the coast and gotten us or moved east into Montana.

Bless your hearts. Be safe.

Michelle
11-10-2006, 01:41 PM
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "Hug a logger and you will never go back to trees!".

This is just too funny!!!:rofl: :lol3:

Well we have yet another storm coming in today, and it's already starting here. We're supposed to have up to 45 mph winds and 100% chance of rain. I feel very sorry for the people at the coast where they're still trying to clean up from this weeks mess.:(

mom2cole
11-10-2006, 09:22 PM
My uncle lived in Medford for about 4 years in the late 70's early 80's, would still be there he says, except at that time ,he was in construction and just couldn't survive financially

I know what you mean about not being able to survive here financially. The housing here is outrageous, the average price is about $250,000, you can buy a "fixer upper" for $180,000. "Fixer Upper" to me means "tear it down and start all over again!" Realtors love to sugar coat things. We have just finished a big boom in building and selling houses, it is finally starting to cool down here. My husband and I are hoping to buy a house again in the spring.

EZMONEY
11-11-2006, 02:57 AM
Hey Cole's Mom~ Our Average Here In Souihtern California Is Almost $500,000...so 250 Looks Pretty Nice!

I Live In An Area Right Next To 25 Year Old Duplexes, For 55 Years And Up, 900 Sq Ft Homes....selling Price For These Units Now? $328,000 +....years Ago, 1970, I Worked On These Same Type Units In This City...going Price Then Was $13,000! Should Have Bought A Bundle Of Them!!

Misti in Seattle
11-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Mare, what a thoughtful thing to post, and thank you for asking. Seems to be mostly Oregonians posting on here so I'll report in from "up north" in Seattle area.

There has now been a second death from the flooding and a lot of people stranded and had to be rescued. A bunch of people were up in one area hunting and a river changed course, completely stranding them and washing out the roads. They were rescued by helicopter but had to leave their vehicles and all their gear, and they said there may NEVER be a way to get them back out of it. One can't imagine how thick the forests and mountain trails are here unless they live in this area.. a lot of the forest and underbrush is so thick you can't even begin to walk through it.

I'm on high ground so haven't had any personal damage from flooding. Actually personally I love the rain and go out walking in it. But I do hurt for all the people whose lives have been devastated by it. As far as building in the flood plains yes I agree it is kind of stupid... BUT in this area it is hard NOT to build either on high hills or flood areas, etc., because there are so MANY rivers and there are so many hills and bluffs, as well as being in earthquake territory. But there are some risks anywhere we live and to me the glorious, moderate weather we have here and the unbelievable natural beauty everywhere is very much worth it... even the high prices and for sure they are. But I have lived in 4 states and one foreign country and couldn't stand to live anywhere but here so I moved back and make the sacrifices. :)

Again, thanks for caring, Mare... I will keep checking the thread to hear from others also.

Blessings

:rain: in Seattle

EZMONEY
11-11-2006, 11:47 AM
MISTI~ Keep all that :rain: up there unti after next Saturday, okie-dokie. Don't want my son's wedding to get soggy...or my TUX!! ;)

Michelle
11-11-2006, 12:12 PM
We had two deaths at the coast this week. There were two sisters walking on the beach near their beach house, and they were warned to stay off the beach, and now one of their bodies washed up on shore, and I haven't heard yet if the other has been found. Also, last night on the news, they said that we have another big storm coming in, and they say it's going to be worse than any we've ever had.:(

EZMONEY
11-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Prayers For All Of You!

mom2cole
11-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Hope everyone up north stays safe and dry!

Misti in Seattle
11-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Michelle, I had heard about those two women who went walking on a beach where they were not supposed to and disappeared. Sad to hear the body washed up, and the other is also presumably dead. I can understand the fascination as I too am always tempted to go out where the water is high and rough... even fought that temptation in the Fort Lauderdale hurricanes. However, I never did it because I do realize the danger. But it can be really hard to resist for those with this kind of personality, etc.

Michelle
11-12-2006, 12:05 AM
MISTI...I know it's so sad about the two of them.:( I love going to the coast when it's really stormy and rough waters, but only watching it from my room and not walking down to get a close look though.:dizzy:

lizziness
11-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Just got back from the coast, we only went up to Yachats. Everything was clear as far as the roads go and there was no flooding. Friday it was storming like mad and the wind was almost enough to knock the car off course... but Saturday was beautiful and warm. It's another storm though for us today, so I'm glad we made it back in one piece.... but it sounds like it's still a mess up north...

Michelle
11-13-2006, 11:50 AM
:p Well we definitely got our big wind and rain storm last night!:o In our area, we had wind gusts up to almost 60 mph, and there were lots of trees down, and some went through people's roofs. Our lights flickered about three times, but luckily we never lost power. The coast is where it was hit the hardest. The beach we always go to had wind gusts of 88 mph, but one part of the coast had wind gusts of 102 mph.:devil: I'm just glad it's over and now today there is 100% chance of rain, but up in the 50s.:hug:

cbmare
11-13-2006, 04:38 PM
You are very welcome. I have some family members in Bend, OR as well as Renton, WA.

You people have had more than your share, just as So. Calif. has had too many fires.

I'm originally from Pensacola, FL. This is the first year I haven't worried about my entire family back there in years.